Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Just applied what will probably be my last coat of AIO for the winter, and I`m sad. Soon as it gets too cold out, I`ll be wishing I could clean the car again. This is terrible! I don`t think I`m so enthused about sub-30 degree car care!

For those of us who have a detached garage (a crummy one to boot) and good old Ohio weather, what`s a guy to do? I figure I`m going to need a fix by, say, November!!!!! What does everyone else do during these cold winter months?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am one of the lucky ones who live down south in Georgia so there are times even in the winter that it gets close to 70.So if I plan carefully I could slip in a coat or two of Zaino Living up north is very nice sometimes but as far as keeping the car perfect I can`t even imagine trying this.I do alot of camping, hiking trips to the north Georgia mountains and Carolinas in the winter.Good luck in your quest for an alternative to detailing!Keep your head up spring will be here before you know it

Post Thanks / Like
    And you drive an SUV and truck in Georgia? Must be those country club parking lots,

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever seen a southern country club:p

Post Thanks / Like
    If you could look back at some of the old posts from last winter/spring, you would find lots of cabin fever to be had.

For example, I found that on Easter weekend, there were several of us who installed new flouresant lighting in our garages.

You will also find posts on how some of us Aio`ed and SG`ed our appliances in our homes.

Some lost souls AIO`ed their bathrooms and all the glass and fixtures.

Some of us even grabbed our Souveran and waxed the dining room furniture.

I`m lucky I have a full basement with a workshop, so I can start many projects to occupy my winter.

But on the whole, we all just sit and wait for spring so we can hear the drone of our PC 7424`s, and long to clean our cars in the warmth of the sun.

Geez, now you got me depressed about winter comin` on! Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    As a software developer, winter offers me an opportunity to get a lot of work done writing code. Then, when it warms up I go into part-time mode. Works for me. Usually my Expedition gets a bath about once a week during the winter. Sometimes I just use the heated rinse water at my buddy`s car wash to knock off the high spots.

We are just far enough north to get a full four seasons. Personally, I like the weather here. Snow is fun to drive on for a day or two, which is all it ever sticks around here. I hate salt on the roads, which they do here. Vette will be a garage queen this winter.

We have the most awesome weather in October - as long as it isn`t raining. Today it is. The next five or six days are supposed to be low 70`s and full sun. November through February are pretty iffy. I have seen days here in January hit high 70`s - but you can just as easily have below zero. What they say around here is: If you don`t like the weather, just wait a few hours.
    2002 Torch Red Corvette convertible

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

1993 Red Eclipse (wife`s)

Zaino - tried it...loved it.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    (watch out "Guess My Name" is going to answer soon )

well you can just stay inside and hang out here

otherwise you pray for a warm dry day and wash then

I wash in my garage in the winter

do a search on the two bucket method in some of the winter posts.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    up in NY is whacky!!!...i remember ealier this wk there was frost all over my car 2 nites/days in a row...then yesterday and today im sweating out there all day.....nice sun though......

ps...speaking of the morn dew....do you guys have any special ways you get it off...or do you just drive with it...until it gets evaporated...yeah right!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, y`all make me like living in the Dallas area even more

I don`t do any special winter preparations at all. No road salt, very little frozen precipitation and high can still hit the low 70`s well into December. Still we do get some nasty blue northers and days with highs below freezing.

I can usually work provided it is at least 28 degrees, but just washing or interiors. I have tried using Meguiars #26 when it is near freezing, and damn, it takes a long time to haze properly so you can remove it. I can use #20 Polymer to around the freezing mark. I also have some neoprene gloves I wear (with thin knit gloves underneath), but my hands still get cold. Ah, the brutal life of a mobile detailer

I am counting the days until summer in any event. More daylight hours and no cold hands. :up
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have electricity in that garage, or a long extention cord, I bought a salamander ( torpedo style ) keorsene heater.

Paided about $135, and its 40K btu. You have to keep a window open some for freash air.

Gets my attached garage up to 70 degs in no time at all.

Premium K1 keorsene sells for about $2.25 a gal, my heater holds 3 gals, and will run for 11 hrs on a tank full. If the smell which isn`t all that bad does no bother you, you can add a scent addative to the keorsene.

I also bought a thermostate,$40 which controls the temp, and depending on the outside temp, and the condition of your garage, the heater cycles about 3-4 times a hr.

Tom F.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom has a good suggestion, but here is a better one--move out of the snow belt. Ha Ha

Post Thanks / Like
    If you live in a mobile home... put up the siding around the bottom so the pipes don`t freeze. Me and two buddies in my college days bought a 55 foot trailer. We were sitting around with our hair down to our shoulders and beers in our hands watching all the local folk workin so hard with that siding. We just couldn`t figure out what all the fuss was about. That is until it got to about 10 deg`s and the moisture in the Kerosene line froze, lost our heat and then the water pipes froze and burst!! Well you go to college to learn, and we learned the hard way!

Now I live in South Florida and winterizing for me now means just turn the pool heat up a bit...

H

Post Thanks / Like
    Just how far down South in Georgia are ya? I`ll be leaving Korea here in about 3 weeks and moving to Valdosta.....is that South enough! It`s only 18 miles N. of the Florida border! I guess y`all from up North can come on down I-75 and visit...I`ll be happy to sit on the back porch and watch you detail your cars, I`ll even supply the "between coats" beer! That way I could learn something too! What a deal, what a bargain!

:up

Post Thanks / Like
    season of winter in NYC. Then I`ll be departing next August down to South Carolina, more specifically Parris Island.

I`ll see what all the fuss about warm winters is, but I will have more important things on my mind. I plan on leaving S. Carolina early November and going back to the frigid NYC weather. Three months down in S. Carolina is all I plan to spend there.

Unless...anyone in or around S. Carolina wants to have a detailing get together.

Later

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have a rule. When it gets below 50 up in Chicago, PrinzII does not go outside to wash his car. PrinzII has a propensity to find a hand wash. I found one out by me that also rinses the underbody.

When it gets warm again, I am back outside washing the car again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information