Post Thanks / Like

Favorite method/product for tree sap?

G/f never ever washes her car. I decided to do it today. It`s covered it tree sap that has probably been on the paint for 2 years. I tried Optimum Power Clean, Tar-X, and an IPA spray. The IPA made it a little sticky like it was breaking it down but really didn`t do much. Maybe if I warm it up with a blow dryer first?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite method/product for tree sap?

Likes RMD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use IPA, but it may take several applications to fully remove it. I just put the IPA on an exfoliating face pad or similar and set it on the spot for several moments. Repeat until it`s fully broken down and removed.

Post Thanks / Like

91 percent alcohol will take care of it. Must be 91 percent.

Post Thanks / Like

TarX for heavy stuff, chemical guys bug and tar wash for light duty

Post Thanks / Like

Stoner`s Xenit citrus cleaner works well too. Really softens the sap. Two years on the paint and it has almost guaranteed to have swelled or etched the clear coat.

If you have brass b**ls, but you can use razor blades. I didn`t use the plastic ones either Works very well, have to have a very low angle to the paint and a steady hand. Just got plastic razor blades. These would have been preferred.

Post Thanks / Like

So when I said earlier that I used IPA, it was cut with water. I put the sprayer in the straight 91% IPA and it took it off pretty easily. I had to let it soak and pick with my fingernail a few times but worked great. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Stoner Tarminator. There`s some pine trees hanging over some parking spaces in my complex and I`ve had to deal with sap a few times. I fold a MF towel and soak a corner with Tarminator, then spray the spot directly and cover it with the wet MF to keep the Tarminator from running down the paint. Let it soak for a minute or so and wipe it off. Depending on how heavy the sap is, it might take a couple of applications, but I have always been able to get all the sap off eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

3Ms Adhesive Remover, turpentine, or mineral spirits. In a pinch, gasoline works, but I would be skeptical about using any of these solvents on or near plastic or vinyl. Goof Off might work, but in judicious amounts (AKA lightly soaked cloth or microfiber).

The 91% Iso-propyl alcohol is best because it`s the "safest", but I would re-apply some type of wax or sealant (Last Step Product or LSP) to the area whatever you use to remove the sap from. Yes, I`ve used a fingernail to chip/scrape it off if it`s dried on. A plastic razor or soft plastic scrapper is a better tool.

The longer you leave sap on , the more likely it is to permanently etch your clear coat, especially in the summer sun. It may take wet-sanding to remove the etching and unless you have experience and a paint thickness gauge to do it properly, you may cause more harm than the good if you do try to wet-sand.

I do not believe that a good coating , wax, or sealant (LSP) is impervious (totally resistant) to sap etching, so the best bet is to remove it as-soon-as-possible. You can be as vigilant as you want about not parking under pine or evergreen trees, but sometimes it is unavoidable. Ask anyone who lives in the upper Midwest who parks at the crowded boat launching ramp parks or outdoor summer concerts at local bars.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of great advice above ^^^^^

I have never seen 91% isopropyl alcohol, but then, I haven`t looked for it either.. I may need to see if I can find it..

Coming from 11 years in the Pacific Northwest where tree sap falls down from the air in abundance, I have used Goof Off Professional, in that little metal can, sold at Home Depot in the Paint Section, with Q-Tips, and removed probably lbs of tree sap and artillery fungus, safely from paintwork..

My process is to get the end of the Q-tip soaked in the product, put it on the tree sap, see if it will move or come off, and then as I take the Qtip off, immediately blot the spot with a clean white cotton towel..
    I do this very carefully and accurately, and have never damaged paintwork then, or long term...

Also agree with the advice to keep away from those dang conifer trees.. Or if you cant, perhaps get a good car cover that will take the hit for you, and actually keep the vehicle a lot cleaner to boot...
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

As a side note, Goof Off is the ONLY product I know of that will remove the black laser toner from vinyl 3-ring binders when a printed paper page has transferred the toner to the vinyl after sitting on the vinyl for a while. Works great, IF you wash the vinyl with a soap-and-water mix. (I like Megs Detailer Line D101 APC diluted 4:1, but I am sure LAs Totally Awesome Dollar Store) will work, too.)

I will have to try the Stokdgs` method as noted above to removing pine pitch/sap, since we have an abundance of the stuff in the upper Midwest on cars.
    GB detailer

Thread Information