Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Im working on a paint correction on my 04 black Honda Accord and im looking to save some time (and money on future detailing projects).

Currently my steps are:

Wash

Clay

Ultimate Compound with LC Orange pad

M205 with LC White pad

Klasse All-In-One

Klasse Sealant Glaze

Knowing that M205 has alot of oils in it, and that K-SG needs a clean surface to bond properly. Could i substitute a IPA wipedown in place of the K-AIO? If so, what % IPA would you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Randomhero- IME the KAIO doesn`t come *CLOSE* to removing the M205 oils, virtually zero effect on them whatsoever. So yeah, you do need to do something to strip said oils and I wouldn`t rely on mere IPA either.

I`ve switched to "polishing oil removal products" with much better results. Several on the market these days, but I use AkraClean (I think that`s what they call it these days...when I got mine is was still named "PrepWash") from TOL.

But I`d still use the KAIO before the KSG. I know it`s probably not necessary, but I still like to do both products when I`m going the Klasse route. Only takes a few minutes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, if you have KAIO, use it. KSG will bond to squeaky clean paint though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hold on... KAIO won`t leave a clean surface. It is an AIO, it is designed to leave a residue! If the KSG will bond over the top of it, it is not all that picky a product at all!

Post Thanks / Like
    K-AIO leaves behind a light coating of sealant. So its easy for KSG to bond for it, says it on the bottle.

Im gonna be doing this for a alot of cars (I do ameteur detailing in the summer), so i want to be as quick and efficient as possible. K-AIO is mildly expensive, and you use more of it than KSG. So i might just give it a good 50% IPA wipe and call it a day until i get some designated prep wash stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that changes everything. I wouldn`t even dream of using the Klasse system for bulk use. Way better products out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Well that changes everything. I wouldn`t even dream of using the Klasse system for bulk use. Way better products out there.

I agree. I jumped the gun on it before doing enough research on other products. What other LSP sealant would you recommend that is good for bulk use and works with M205?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are stuck with 205, one of Meg`s products or and old school wax. Get HD polish when you run out of 205, it`ll make life much easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are stuck with 205, one of Meg`s products or and old school wax. Get HD polish when you run out of 205, it`ll make life much easier.

Alright i bought a quart of M205, so that should last half the summer. What is a good LSP after HD Polish?

HD Poxy looks nice, and not too expensive. Nitro Seal i assume would be better, but too expensive for me.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, if you have KAIO, use it. KSG will bond to squeaky clean paint though.

Acrylic polyaminosiloxane or polyethylene-acrylic car care products (Klasse, Jeff Werkstatt or Duragloss #105 Total Performance Polish) contain polyethylene-acrylic acid. The one advantage polyethylene-acrylics offer is that since they are acidic by nature, they hold up better to acidic pollutants (acid rain, bird excrement, industrial fallout (IFO) and etc) however, by the same token, since they are acidic, they can cause minor etching of the paint.

There is no cross-linking capability with this technology, however an acrylic acid causes minor etching of the paint, which enables a modified ‘molecular’ bonding with the paint surface, which in turn results in durability versus just using a polyethylene based products

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...t-process.html

These Detailing Wiki informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base.

What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK
    Hold on... KAIO won`t leave a clean surface. It is an AIO, it is designed to leave a residue! If the KSG will bond over the top of it, it is not all that picky a product at all!

But note that KSG does *NOT* bond to a great number of *other* leaves-stuff-behind products. There appears to be a compatibility between KAIO and KSG and you can`t say that about KSG and some other products.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree on both counts.

And in Randomhero`s situation, I`d *NOT* worry too much about removing the M205 oils (which a 50% IPA mix will have a really hard time doing anyhow).

Eh, I`d just use something from Collinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomhero
    Alright i bought a quart of M205, so that should last half the summer. What is a good LSP after HD Polish?

HD Polish is water based, so pretty much anything. Optimum Opti-Seal works very well over it if you want something super easy.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a dawn wash after everything has been corrected?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomhero
    How about a dawn wash after everything has been corrected?

Problems arise when people use dish washing liquid as their normal car wash soap. From a chemical standpoint using dishwashing detergents to clean a porous, sensitive clear coat paint surface is very poor choice. Dish washing detergents usually contain a sheeting agent (Alcohol alkoxylate or sodium) or other additive to avoid water spotting; along with emollients or moisturizers; these work by forming a thin protective coating on the surface of the skin to prevent any loss of moisture, this will leave a film on the paint surface.

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...-my-paint.html

These Detailing Wiki informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information