Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Its been along time since I have been a regular on this site really stopped visiting regularly when the site crashed a few years ago.

I have recently purchased a Black Mercedes with Ceramiclear. I am coming from a blk Acura TL with extremely soft clear so this will be a different experience.

I currently have just a porter cable with a bunch of different 6in pads. I am not sure how bad the damage is on the new car but it doesnt appear to be bad however who knows what is waiting under any fillers they may have used.

Will I need a Rotary in order to get out any significant marring? Also over on the mercedes forums there are some people of the opinion that you should not polish this clear coat only seal or wax?

Finally any recommendations as to which products to go with? I see Merenza has a ceramiclear line.

I have in the past used Poorboys polishes and have a full bottle of optimum lying around.

After any correction I plan to seal then wax. My old go to waxes have always been meguiars #26, #16 or nattys blue paste. Im sure many more new waxes have come along in the time being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the MB purchase. I would highly suggest polishing your paint to bring out the true depth and shine. Truthfully, most polishes from Menzerna, 3D/HD, Meguiars & Optimum will work great on this paint. And you don`t need a rotary polisher in any means. A DA polisher is just fine.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I developed Ceruis Compound, in the start for that clear, after many hours of discussions with PPG`s paint chemists.

That was the target, felt it would be the main clear in a few years.

Problem, very expensive for the base materials, etc.

So, not a major player of clears, still today.

I could go on and on and on, on this subject, but please allow me to say this, a short version.

The "hard" part of such a clear is very, very thin, go through it with what many consider a normal cutting process, they will go below the "hard/dense portion", and that is not as hard, it will not be "dense", it will be as acceptable to acids, scratches, etc as any other production applied clear.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    So reading around it appears that this opti coat is all the rage.

Should I just go with a wash, clay, light polish, wash then apply this opti coat?

Once opti coat is applied is there any utility to add an additional LSP on top?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 03TLS
    Once opti coat is applied is there any utility to add an additional LSP on top?

No, it wont bond.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d polish it to perfection and then Opticoat. Ceramiclear used to be a problem, but modern polishes have no issues with it, even with a DA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I`d polish it to perfection and then Opticoat. Ceramiclear used to be a problem, but modern polishes have no issues with it, even with a DA.

Lol what do you consider modern because I have old poorboys ssr1 and ssr 2.5 and I also have a bottle of Optimum no exactly sure which one as I am out of town but nothing too abrasive I bought it probably 5 yrs ago.

What is the shelf life of these polishes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also Im suprised with all the enthusiasm for opti clear since you no longer need to add an additional LSP. It seemed like a large portion of the board and part of the fun was always trying out new sealants and LSP`s. I guess it makes everything simple just wash and go

Are you guys using this product on your personal cars or are you using it more for those cars you are servicing in your profession because Im sure it would make your job much easier.

Also random question is there a long time forum member here named Patrick or something close to that he had a monkey with glasses as his avatar? He had a detailing supply website and always shipped a piece of candy with the orders. He always was very prompt and a pleasure to deal with but cant remember the name of his site. EDIT: nevermind found it exceldetail EDIT EDIT hmm guess site is no longer active

Post Thanks / Like
    Also Im suprised with all the enthusiasm for opti clear since you no longer need to add an additional LSP. It seemed like a large portion of the board and part of the fun was always trying out new sealants and LSP`s. I guess it makes everything simple just wash and go

It`s definately a popular product amoung both detailers and car enthusiasts.

Are you guys using this product on your personal cars or are you using it more for those cars you are servicing in your profession because Im sure it would make your job much easier.

A little of both actually. It`s not the best product for everybody. You should really qualify your client to determine if it`s right for them.

Also random question is there a long time forum member here named Patrick or something close to that he had a monkey with glasses as his avatar? He had a detailing supply website and always shipped a piece of candy with the orders. He always was very prompt and a pleasure to deal with but cant remember the name of his site. EDIT: nevermind found it exceldetail EDIT EDIT hmm guess site is no longer active

a-k-a-patrick from Excel Detail. I believe he is no longer in business.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/members/a-k-a-patrick.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    I developed Ceruis Compound, in the start for that clear, after many hours of discussions with PPG`s paint chemists.

That was the target, felt it would be the main clear in a few years.

Problem, very expensive for the base materials, etc.

So, not a major player of clears, still today.

I could go on and on and on, on this subject, but please allow me to say this, a short version.

The "hard" part of such a clear is very, very thin, go through it with what many consider a normal cutting process, they will go below the "hard/dense portion", and that is not as hard, it will not be "dense", it will be as acceptable to acids, scratches, etc as any other production applied clear.

Grumpy
    So Ron, are you suggesting we go easy on polishing ceramiclear? Please elaborate.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly for personal cars. I`m slowly converting over my cars. I might not ever do the Vette, but everything else will probably get OC`d. Here is my logic, I like clean cars. Clean looks good. Sure the day 1 pop of something like HD Poxy or CG50/50 can`t be matched by OC. But after the first good rain or even dew, OC is right there, and takes over from there on. After a few rains, the OC`d car looks great and the other car doesn`t. Plus topping OC with a good QD works very well.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    No, it wont bond.

You can add a Carnauba wax or a polymer sealant for aesthetic purposes or as a sacrificial barrier, but be cognizant that just as contamination have a hard time adhering, so do waxes and paint sealants. The coating provides a very smooth surface and therefore the micro pores available for adhesion are very limited.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will my OLD original Optimum Polish be suitable to remove some minor micromarring from the Ceramiclear?

If not I was thinking of going with the new Merenza Polishes. Any thoughts on which ones to get for mild swirling with maybe some areas that are moderate. I have yet to do a full clean to fully evaluate. There new line seems to overlap quite a bit.

I was thinking maybe Power Finish polish then finishing it off with Final Finish or Final Polish, or should i start with something more aggresive like Intensive polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d alter your pads to see which combo gives you the nicest correction and gloss without doing multiple steps. Menzerna SF4000 might be your best bet with a white LC pad, but every car is different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I`d alter your pads to see which combo gives you the nicest correction and gloss without doing multiple steps. Menzerna SF4000 might be your best bet with a white LC pad, but every car is different.
    OP probably has the older PC with 6" pads..highly recommend that you get a 5" BP and 5.5" pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information