Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    The husband just purchased a brand new Acura RDX and the wife an Audi TTRS

I recommended Opti-Coat for the hubby `cause he admits to being remiss in maintaining the finish and the wife is wanting to add anything that might keep the finish of the TT from deteriorating. The TT is going to be almost a daily driver for her.

So after spending what amounts to 12 dog years reading about Opti-Coat, am I correct in my thinking that it is:

Significantly more resistant to scratches

Doesn`t need waxing ( although I`ve read that some folks still use their favorite LSP on top)

Lasts for the life of the detailer

Can be used over a clear bra

I`ve looked over both cars very carefully and there`s little to no correction required. So I plan on washing, claying and maybe even using Griots Paint Prep `cause I have it on the shelf.

I don`t see any reason why not, but then again, that`s what I said when I married my first wife!
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure it`s significantly more resistant to scratches, but it definitely makes a difference.

Correct, it doesn`t need waxing although I treat mine to an LSP once in a while and always use a detail spray when drying to give it a "just waxed" pop.

Lasts for the life of the detailer unless they`re taking it to a brush car wash every week. I could see that marring it up and wearing it off eventually.

I have no idea about the clear bra, but I`d think it would be ok considering it`s fine over plastic trim and really any surface on the exterior of the car besides the tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it will work great for your scenario, but in some it situations may not be the best option. Perfect for daily drivers who see the abusive elements, but pretty boring for alot of garage queens and show cars. Again, just my opinion based on my own interests.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I think it will work great for your scenario, but in some it situations may not be the best option. Perfect for daily drivers who see the abusive elements, but pretty boring for alot of garage queens and show cars. Again, just my opinion based on my own interests.

I agree with David`s post. Its great for people who hate to wax/wash/detail. Lookswise it is a bit boring, and since waxes just wash off, your best bet is a good QD. It might make the Acura a bit more scratch resistant, but its not going to be any harder than the Audi. The biggest advantages continued paint protection and dirt/grime/tar releasing.

Post Thanks / Like
    My assumption is she`s going to be driving the TT every chance she can, after all, who wouldn`t. She`s actually going to take it to a Bondurant type school in the not to distant future. But I did mention HD Uno, Errr. Meant Poxy which was recommended to me in one of my first posts about how to make silver/grey pop.

I did use t on my DD 330xi and the results were, well spectacular. Not the best pic but:

And it still beaded like crazy after 6 months. Really! Truth is, I`d rather Uno her car; but I`ll talk to her more about it.

Oh, BTW - I read OC can be layered. Any thoughts/reasons to do this?

More as the saga progresses ...
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarque
    My assumption is she`s going to be driving the TT every chance she can, after all, who wouldn`t. She`s actually going to take it to a Bondurant type school in the not to distant future. ...

If she`ll be driving her own car (as opposed to a school car) then I wouldn`t OptiCoat it until *afterwards*. I wouldn`t expect the coating to withstand cone-hits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since we`re on the subject ... is any other product that supposed to last years more resistant to marring at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 100% with David Fermani`s post.

I asked around not long ago and got confirmation from Chris@Optimum that it is fine to Opti-Coat over a clear bra and it would actually help resist marring and yellowing; not advisable over self healing bras, however, as it would eliminate that aspect.

As outstanding as OC is I think it is important to not oversell it`s capabilities. Some people misinterpret it as a "bubble" around their car that makes it invincible. I am careful to clarify to people that it is "permanent" in the same way their paint is; it can be damaged and/or removed by many of the same methods the paint. E.g.: Abrasive washes, neglect, bugs & bird excrement.

@ RZJZA8o: I`m not sure how resistant you want something to be. There is no coating that can resist a key or belt buckle or rock dragged across the surface. If you want the ultimate protection you could Opti-Coat, then have the whole car wrapped with clear bra, then Opti-Coat over that again. Marring will still happen, but the paint beneath should still be unscathed. Of course it may not give the best look and the cost probably won`t be much less than a full repaint after 8-10 years, especially if there ends up being a fender bender or door ding anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I want something that would "resist" just wash induced marring, and maybe just driving around marring, the lighter stuff. If OC is "harder" that factory clear, that fits the bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    If she`ll be driving her own car (as opposed to a school car) then I wouldn`t OptiCoat it until *afterwards*. I wouldn`t expect the coating to withstand cone-hits.

:tongue2: Perfect! Just getting this 2013 Acura prepped is more then I imagined.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80
    Since we`re on the subject ... is any other product that supposed to last years more resistant to marring at all?

There are a couple of video`s around (sorry don`t have the link) that show Wolf`s new Hard Body as very resistent to scratches and marring. However, it is new so no long term durability and scratch resistent reports and it is supposed to last "up to 2 years." Detailers Domain sells it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would apply the Opti-Coat then have the clear bra applied over it. That way if for some reason the clear bra has to come off, you have protection underneath. Also, with regards to appearance, every single customer who has had me apply it to their cars has been more than happy with the look. They hear so much about the protection they assume it has a pretty average look. Which it doesn`t. Very clear and wet.

I`ve had it on my last 3 vehicles and it sure has made care a lot easier. Wash. That`s it.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Once putting on OC, is there ANYTHING to gain by topping it? Durability I know there is, but what about looks wise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Once putting on OC, is there ANYTHING to gain by topping it? Durability I know there is, but what about looks wise?

A little of a sacrificial barrier, perhaps, but mostly cosmetic.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I want something that would "resist" just wash induced marring, and maybe just driving around marring, the lighter stuff. If OC is "harder" that factory clear, that fits the bill.

CQuarts Finest is supposed to be "more" resistant to marring from those I`ve spoke to who`ve tested both. Seems Opti-Guard still takes the take on chemical resistance testing, though I`m not sure how real world some of those tests are. I have some CQuarts Finest now to test out along with 22PLE Todd C is selling. Just need to find some free time to do it all..... :hairpull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information