Post Thanks / Like
    The exhaust tips of my Akrapovic exhaust have some carbon spots/markings on them. Akrapovic recommends using WD40, but that didn`t do much good. Most of the remaining spots don`t seem to be raised otherwise I`d be able to get them off. Anyone have any titanium or "Akrapovic safe" solutions out there? I read somewhere NevrDull has been used pretty well, but I`m not sure what that compound is exactly. Thanks!

The Akrapovic site states (for motorcycles, but I`m assuming it`s the same for all their exhausts):

It is very important to clean the exhaust system thoroughly after installation, as any dirt or debris will later be burned into the exhaust system. A contact cleaner can be used to clean the pipes, while for the titanium muffler outer sleeve we recommend using a multi-purpose spray lubricant (WD-40 or equivalent). The carbon-fiber outer sleeve should be wiped with a soft dry cloth.

WARNINGo not use automotive wheel cleaners or any cleaning products which contain acidic additives to clean the front rosettes of Akrapovič Bolt-On exhaust systems.

If such cleaning products are used damage occurs in the form of corrosion of the ALU front rosette, which leads to the breakage of the inner flange which the muffler outer sleeve is attached to.

In order to get rid of dirt and buildup more easily, such cleaners contain acids which react with, i.e. eat into, the surface. The reaction gradually increases over time, which has a major effect on aluminum, which is very susceptible to the effects of acids. The compound of aluminum, acid and water leads to the creation of the galvanic effect, which results in even greater damage. This problem is especially acute because the flange in question cannot be thoroughly sprayed with water and dried. At first the damage is undetectable, but the chemical reaction continues unseen.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Titanium

Titanium is considered a ‘hard’ metal and needs very little care and maintenance as it’s immune to corrosion from most industrial and organic chemicals and salt water This is due to titanium`s very thin, tenacious and highly protective surface oxide Ti02. If worn or scratched, the oxide layer will immediately restore itself in the presence of air or water.TiO2 oxide is surface oxide of titanium, and if not properly cared for the surface will be altered by abrasion.

• Wash cool exhaust system with a soft sponge, or micro fibre towel, using a surfactant mild detergent (P21S Total Auto Wash).

• Your titanium exhaust system will change colour (blue, purple, gold) due to heat; this is normal.

• Do not use cleansers which contain abrasives, acids or abrasive sponges. Abrasive cleansers and sponges can wear or thin the oxide layer resulting in a change of colour

• Avoid metal to metal (synthetic wire wool) contact that may cause surface scratches

• Use English Custom Polish (ECP) Dry Showman’s Blend or P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer, using a soft micro fibre towel
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant really tell from the picture - is the finish bead blasted or brushed ?

I think one of the Ti bike frame makers recomends lemon juice to clean / maintain the finish ? I have also heard of rubbing damp baking soda on it ?

I have refinished all my stuff with glass bead but as heat isnt involved In use, at the moment its just wiped over with GT85 (Like WD40) - I dont have to deal with baked on crap ...

Have you tried stong solvents / thinners ? they shouldnt mark the finish.

Let us know how you go on as your problem interests me.

WD

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if that wd40 is for motorcycle why use it right?Also there are many type of exhaust i mean the metal properties so some of them are sensitive and some of them are not. I agree to TOGWT he clearly elaborated the right thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jtown
    The exhaust tips of my Akrapovic exhaust have some carbon spots/markings on them. Akrapovic recommends using WD40, but that didn`t do much good. Most of the remaining spots don`t seem to be raised otherwise I`d be able to get them off. Anyone have any titanium or "Akrapovic safe" solutions out there? I read somewhere NevrDull has been used pretty well, but I`m not sure what that compound is exactly. Thanks!

The Akrapovic site states (for motorcycles, but I`m assuming it`s the same for all their exhausts):

Use the NEVRDULL, it is the only product that works properly as I have polished at least 15 Akra exhausts with it. Available at most auto parts stores.

Thread Information