Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I polished my vehicle and there are still noticible marks on the top of the rear bumper. They are not like fine scratches but large white marks from objects rubbing on the bumper. They are above the paint surface. Polishing does not seem to have done anything at all to them either.

Does anyone have any ideas of how i might be able to get rid of these marks?

I cannot post a pic/ new member account.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience of trying to eliminate bumper scratches like that, the best you can do is minimize the appearance with a heavy cutting polish and pad such as M105 and whatever your hardest cutting pad is. This is assuming you`ve tried other OTC compounds and polishes like Scratch-X and Ultimate Compound. If all else fails, it`d have to be wet sanded (and even then, if its as bad as some of the cases that I`ve seen) you`re better off getting it re-painted or (cheaper route) get one of those grip stickers that go over that. I had one on our last Honda and it worked great, kept scratches away from the dogs jumping in and loading furniture/boxes when moving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, a better description of the damage would make assessing this a lot easier. Can you feel it with your finger or is it just barely able to catch your fingernail in the scratch?

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies.

The marks are above the paint surface and can be felt when rubbing finger across it. They arent like thin scratches, more wide white marks basically from objects rubbing against the bumper.

Can you recommend a more abrasive polish?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktruck
    thanks for the replies.

The marks are above the paint surface and can be felt when rubbing finger across it...

Are the marks some kind of transfer from whatever was rubbing on the bumper? Like some foreign material stuck to the bumper`s surface? If so, I`d try clay first, and if that doesn`t work then an aggressive paint cleaner (a somewhat mild OTC example would be Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Step #1 Cleaner).

I`d want to really inspect the marks with some magnification to make sure I knew what`s really going on there.

Oh, and Welcome To Autopia!

Thread Information