Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys. It has been a long time since I`ve posted here; even the look of the forums has completely changed in the meantime. My problem is this; I recently removed some chrome trim from the gas tank of my new motorcycle. It seems to have been installed with some extremely sticky double-sided tape at the factory; MUCH worse than what I have bought OTC in the past to attach badges etc. on cars.

The trim came off very easily but the tape simply doesn`t want to. I first tried just scraping it off gently with my fingernails which didn`t work, whether I tried it cold or after heating up the tape with a hairdryer. I then used Goo Gone and when that failed, some WD-40 and that too, did nothing. I used my wife`s nail file but the angle of the tape`s positioning is such that I can`t try to file it without coming in contact with the paint event if I mask off the area around it.

I scrape the edges and they move up a little but but not much. I have gotten very little of the tape off so far and am extremely frustrated. There HAS to be an easier way!
    Being p!ssed off is better than being p!ssed on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiZ
    The trim came off very easily but the tape simply doesn`t want to. I first tried just scraping it off gently with my fingernails which didn`t work, whether I tried it cold or after heating up the tape with a hairdryer. I then used Goo Gone and when that failed, some WD-40 and that too, did nothing. I used my wife`s nail file but the angle of the tape`s positioning is such that I can`t try to file it without coming in contact with the paint event if I mask off the area around it.

I scrape the edges and they move up a little but but not much. I have gotten very little of the tape off so far and am extremely frustrated. There HAS to be an easier way!

My first thoughts reading the subject line were to recommend WD40 or Goo Gone. So much for that idea. Since softening it up isn`t the right recipe you might try drying it out with a hair dryer or very carefully with a heat gun then try scraping it off when it dries out.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    I encounter lots of this problem as many cars have their side "plastic window visors" removed, leaving behind lots of that sticky, semi-hardened stuff.

Simplest, fastest but most unorthodox and very unprofessional method.

You know that round, short and stubby door stopper made from rubber?

It`s for domestic use, and its used as a stopper to prevent your door touching the wall. About 1" diameter, and 2" long. Hard rubber.

Find a way to attach this rubber thingy to your electric drill. When you operate the drill or electric screwdriver, that rubber thingy will rotate.

As it`s rotating, lightly CONTACT its rotating surface with that stubborn residue.

The residue will be abraded off immediately!! Simple and easy. Then, just soak any remaining gummy residue in cleaner wax, wait 5mins, and rub it off with an old but soft rag.

Less drastic method, much slower, but workable.

Use cotton bud to dab the problem area with thinner. Keep the residue/hardened deposit moist with thinner for 5mins. Then gently use your nail scrape it off.

Use a small polishing pad with a rotary, if necessary, to polish that area.

I`ve also tried lots of the over-the-counter stuff and none works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 3M wood panel and adhesive remover. It is specially made for thick adhesives that are used to bound side wood and plastic cladding. I usually buy at a auto body paint store. I recently used it on an ex-caltrans truck that had the reflective super thick tape all around the belt line. Came off in mins and left very little residue that was easily washed off.

this is the stuff, sorry this one is for a case LOL

Shop 3M: 3M Woodgrain and Stripe Adhesive Remover, 08908, 1 lb 2 oz Net Wt

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to report that I finally prevailed. What I realized in the process (and as some of you mentioned as well) is this: there is no one perfect method to get it off; one has to use several. The single biggest tool is HEAT. Had I realized it sooner, I could have completed the job in half the time. I heated the tape with a hairdryer starting at either edge and little by little, rolled it up into a ball using my thumb. One has to get as much tape as possible during that step to leave the remaining residue as thin as possible. Then I vigorously rubbed Mineral Spirits paint/varnish thinner into it (had to first call the manufacturer to confirm it really won`t hurt the clear coat). That softened it a little bit and very small pieces started rubbing off as I continued my physical assault on it. I then used Goo Gone and continued chipping away at the remaining glue with my thumb and fingers. Seven hours, 3 days, and 2 blisters on my thumbs later; all the tape was finally gone. I then did an ONR wash on the whole bike and waxed it with OCW.

Feels like I have won a battle, it really does. If I never see double-sided tape again for the rest of my life, I will be a happy guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Use 3M Adhesive Remover
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    ManiZ- Glad you got it off. I was gonna say 3M Adhesive Remover just like AeroCleanse, that stuff`s really handy to have around. Even with that stuff, the big trick seems to be finding a way to let it dwell on the adhesive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, glad to get it all off. I wish I had gone about the project the right way; i.e. doing my research before taking the trim off. Had I done so, I would have known what I was getting into instead of scrambling to find a solution once the trim was already off, the tape wasn`t budging, and the issue was way too much of an eyesore for me to order supplies. Lesson learned!

Thanks for the all the input guys. This is why I love these forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had seen this thread earlier I could of recommend you the 3m pinstrip remover wheel. Its a rubber wheel designed to remove vinyl pin-striping and double sided tapes. It would of saved you all of the hassle you encountered.

YouTube - Using the 3M Stripe Off Wheel (eraser wheel) 2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD Silverado Lifted on Cognito

Post Thanks / Like
    Been there, done that... with Goof Off.

Post Thanks / Like
    lol Lasthrope I used to use one of them, but this thing makes that look like a childs toy! :chuckle:

Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    <object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8W0aVgV1qso?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8W0aVgV1qso?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>
    Barry E. Theal

Post Thanks / Like
    Awsome Barry - I always used the Cut-off wheel type of removers such as this:

YouTube - Using the 3M Stripe Off Wheel (eraser wheel) 2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD Silverado Lifted on Cognito

but that thing looks incredible.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awsome Barry - I always used the Cut-Off Wheel type of removers such as this:

but that thing looks incredible.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its like comparing p21 wheel gel to Ardex attack if you get my point.:lol Yet its actually really safe. Best damn thing I have come across. Its just real salty in price. Damn them snap-on guys. :heelclick
    Barry E. Theal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information