Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So wow, been reading and reading on here over the last week or so and I have learned quite a bit but it seems every time I find what I think is the right product for me, I click another thread and find something else that sounds better! lol

I currently have a True Red MazdaSpeed3 and am looking for a new polish/wax combo. I`ve been using NXT2.0 as my wax and it`s fine but I think a good polish would go along ways to getting the look I want.

I`m going to be doing this by hand so I`m looking for a good polish/wax combo that goes on and comes off well obviously.

I`ve considered the Klasse polish, HD Uno/Proxy, Wolfgang, etc. etc. and they all sound good but given what you know now, which would you prefer (obviously not just from those few I listed)?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I "polished" my car with Klasse AIO by hand.

I purchased the Flex 2 weeks later.

..........nuff said.
    2009 135i Coupe - Sedona Red Metallic - Savanna Beige - 6MT- ///M Sports Package - Boston Leather - Power/Heated Seats

2005 BMW f650gs

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have a red car. It`s not as new as yours (2000) but the paint probably looks as good! I buffed the ENTIRE car out with ScratchX to remove oxidation and imperfections, sealed with Poorboys EXP, and waxed with a combo of Natty`s Red and Autoglym HD.

I would highly suggest the ScratchX. It just worked so well, powering through the oxidation and imperfections from a long Nebraska salty winter.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can even think about how much time would be involved in polishing a car by hand. Do yourself a favor and buy or borrow a DA and some pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    NCSpeed3- Welcome to Autopia.

OK, add me to the list....if you can *possibly* afford a polisher, buy one and do things that way. Seriously.

If that`s simply not possible, you`ll have to be careful as doing stuff by hand, both effectively and efficiently, is a tall order indeed!

The good news is that the paint on your car is supposedly fairly easy to work with.

KAIO isn`t nearly aggressive enough for use as a "polish". It`s more like a "synthetic cleaner-wax". If you think that`s all you need (no real scratches/swirls/"marring" to correct), then I`d go with a slightly different product along those lines- either Zaino`s All In One ("ZAIO"), which has a little mild abrasive polish added in or Autoglym Super Resin Polish ("SRP"), which is almost as functionally nonabrasive as the Klasse but does a *much* better job of concealing any little/shallow/mild marring you might have.

Either can be topped with the wax of your choice (I`d probably recommend Collinite) or even a sealant (I`d recommend FK1000P).

The Scratch-X would be good if you have more significant marring. OR...1Z brand Paint Polish ("1ZPP") might be a good choice if you plan to correct (i.e., remove marring from) the whole car by hand. But man, that`d be a workout! One nice thing about the 1Z PP leaves a little wax behind, so you can polish one day, and then not have to do the waxing until after the next wash. Don`t try to use a sealant over top of 1Z PP, just use a wax (again, Collinite is good, and it lasts a LONG time).

So...decide if you can possibly afford a polisher. And/then decide how much correction you need to do. THEN you`ll have a better idea what products to concentrate on.

If *I* were doing it by hand, I`d either use 1Z PP (if it`s marred a bit) topped with Collinite or SRP (if no significant marring), probably also topped with Collinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t wax or polish by hand and don`t want to ever go back!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL....I am definitely in the minority here. I actually *gulp*, like doing it by hand. Yes, I`m sweating like hades when I`m done and my arm is numb but its a nice stress relief! haha

I`ve ALWAYS taken care of any car I have had so doing it by hand has never been an issue, its just what I`ve been accustomed to. As far as the paint on my current car, it is in good shape I feel. It does look good (in terms of marring) and most people would probably be completely happy with it, but as with most of the people on this forum, you are always looking for something better or the best possible look for your car.

I`m going to wash her tomorrow and I`ll get a picture and post up and let the "gurus" on here tell me what they think, maybe that will help.

Now about this DA polisher, part of me says, "Yes! Go buy it dummy and save yourself hours!" but the the other part is saying "Yeah, you can probably royally screw up your paint job with that, stick to doing it by hand.". So I`m torn. I could go buy one tonight no problem but I`m nervous getting around my baby with a machine as we`ve all seen the horrors of someone improperly using it as you are walking through a parking lot somewhere and you just shake your head. I don`t want to be THAT person! haha

Make me feel like I can use one without screwing up my baby! haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and thanks for the suggestions, I really do appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you buy a Porter Cable or something like it you will not screw your paint up at all. That is unless you hold it on the corner of your car with as much pressure you can put on it and hold it for a few minutes like that. Seriously though you should have NO worries about doing any damage to your car, it is soo easy to use them. Believe me once you use it for the first time and see what it can do in 5 minutes that would take you an hour by hand you will feel bad about not getting one sooner.

So go out and get one... NOW!

-LI 85
    1985 Z-28 Camaro Black On Black 6speed 11.24 1/4 Mile --- All Guarded By ZAINO

2008 Tiburon GT

2002 Elantra GT

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re anywhere near Cary, NC, I`d be willing to meet you sometime and let you borrow my 7424XP to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum Polish II, light polish and wont nut up on you while polishing.

Duragloss 105, great affordable sealant, EZ on and EZ off.

FK 425, for between washes.

Optimum SW, once monthly to maintain slickness.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Euro
    If you`re anywhere near Cary, NC, I`d be willing to meet you sometime and let you borrow my 7424XP to try it out.

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I`m at the base of the mountains on the other side of the state from you. But, speaking of the 7424XP, is that the model I should consider? Newb friendly and the chances of me screwing it up slim? haha

Where can you purchase these? I read one review and it said they had purchased at Lowe`s which would be great as I`m all into instant gratification (not having to order and wait!).

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Optimum Polish II, light polish and wont nut up on you while polishing..

Patrick- is the OPII more, uhm...Accumulator-proof than the OPI v2.0 was? I still have an unopened new bottle of that stuff just gathering dust because I disliked the first bottle so much.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpeed3
    But, speaking of the 7424XP, is that the model I should consider? Newb friendly and the chances of me screwing it up slim? haha..

IMO the biggest risk is that you`ll overestimate the power of a given polisher and buy something that`s not as powerful as you really oughta. Seriously....

If you stick with mild/moderate stuff (pads, products, techniques), these machines are nothing more than "a fast hand that doesn`t get tired and sloppy". I had my late father up to speed with a polisher within ~15 minutes and he was in his *eighties* at the time. Better example- I lent a polisher to a (female, not that I`m sexist) friend of mine with *zero* experience (and minimal real interest in this stuff; she`s all about being an accountant)...I explained the basics but didn`t do any demo/instruction/etc. She took it to her Lexus and got great results right off the bat. OK, she`s *smart*, but it`s not like you need to be a genius to do OK (though an above-room-temp IQ is probably helpful).

Doing "pretty good" work with these machines is *EASY* if you use the right stuff. Doing more serious work takes a little, uhm...consideration. Getting *really* serious calls for more thorough understanding and some caution.

Don`t worry about messing up the car; worry about buying a weaker machine than you`d really be satisfied with. If you can afford it, buy something; you`ll be saying "I can`t believe I put this off..."

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that porter cables are the best (and most efficient) way to go.

But I dont have the funds for one. (still a university student). What types of pads can be used by hand for correction? Could a palm polisher like this one here Jobmate Car Palm Polisher, 6-in. | Canadian Tire

be any of any use? I know I wont reach perfection but i`m id like to get close!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information