Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 as a wax and to protect my paint. I would like a little more shine out of the paint. Can I apply a carnauba wax on top of the synthetic sealant? Once carnauba is applied, can I then go back to sealant? I`d like to switch between the two to keep my paint both shiny and protected - but don`t want to get a crazy build up of wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ
    I`ve been using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 as a wax and to protect my paint. I would like a little more shine out of the paint. Can I apply a carnauba wax on top of the synthetic sealant? Once carnauba is applied, can I then go back to sealant? I`d like to switch between the two to keep my paint both shiny and protected - but don`t want to get a crazy build up of wax.
    You can apply a nuba over a sealant, but not visa versa. If you let the wax cure then you can apply WDGS, but again why not put another coat of nuba? WDGS will give you a base and the nuba will give you that extra protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure hope so

Post Thanks / Like

No, you can`t keep going back and forth between the two as you will have bonding issues with the sealant over the carnauba.

You would need to remove the carnauba before re-applying the sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to wax my car about every 6-8 weeks. I already have 4 or 5 layers of the Wolfgang sealant. Should I use carnauba from here on out? My car is brand new so I want to keep the paint protected from the elements while maintaining an excellent shine.

Any recommendations for a good carnauba that I can apply by hand? P21S Concours Carnauba Wax looks pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you can continue to use a carnauba from here on out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam, do you like the gloss and look that the Wolfgang sealant gives you? If you do, then stick with it. It will give you better durability than any carnauba that you put on it (excepting the Collinites), and as others have noted, once you start topping the car with a carnauba, you are pretty much stuck with carnauba waxes until such time as you clean or polish the paint. Of course, we all love to try different products and combinations of products, trying to find that "perfect" look.

There are lots of good carnauba waxes out there for you to try. Everyone has their favorites. You really can`t go wrong. Here`s a list of "best" waxes and sealants that I pulled together. How much money do you want to spend? More expensive does not necessarily mean glossier or wetter or whatever when it comes to waxes; on the other hand, I can`t deny that I get a psychological boost from applying an expensive wax to my special car. It`s hard to explain. Does my car actually look better when dressed in Souveran rather than Harly Wax? I`m not sure. Sometimes I think it does, but sometimes I think I`m just fooling myself. There`s only one way to find out--try out a couple of waxes and see for yourself.

But more important than finding the "perfect" wax is adopting good washing techniques using high quality towels and mitts. At the very least you will want to use the two-bucket method with grit guards.

Have fun and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks akimel. I ended up ordering the P21S Concours Carnauba. I like the protection of Wolfgang sealant but I wish it provided a glossier shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 as a wax and to protect my paint. I would like a little more shine out of the paint..

I don`t top my sealants as it prevents me from adding more.

I wouldn`t expect a wax topper to boost the shine any...maybe things need cleaned/polished/something instead.

Gee, this reply sounds kinda negative, don`t mean to be a drag

Do you generally *like* the Wolfgang sealant? I`m wondering what you`d like to improve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I don`t top my sealants as it prevents me from adding more.

I wouldn`t expect a wax topper to boost the shine any...maybe things need cleaned/polished/something instead.

Gee, this reply sounds kinda negative, don`t mean to be a drag

Do you generally *like* the Wolfgang sealant? I`m wondering what you`d like to improve.

I hear ya, this is the only issue I have with topping my sealant with carnauba. I like Wolfgang but want that wet glossy look.

I`m definitely willing to fore go the sealant topper if you have any tips worth trying!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya, this is the only issue I have with topping my sealant with carnauba. I like Wolfgang but want that wet glossy look.

I`m definitely willing to fore go the sealant topper if you have any tips worth trying!

Oh jeeze you won`t like the sound of this :grinno: but OK, you asked for it....

Give the car a good polishing, with a final burnish of something like Menzerna PO85RD.

Seriously. I`ve sometimes thought my LSP was the "problem" (scare-quotes intentional as nobody else woulda thought about it), but whenever I`ve gotten the prep right, even Collinite wax has looked *super*.

I bet that Wolfgang can look at least as good as the BF and UPP I`ve used, that wet, glossy look that`s actually blinding in bright sunlight. It really is all in the prep.

So, I`d give it a quick polishing and then just redo it with fresh Wolfgang.

Who knows, maybe you just need to do a super-gentle claying and redo the Wolfgang after that. Sometimes stuff builds up so incrementally that you don`t notice anything until one day "hey, I bet this could look better...".

But here, consider this- maybe add a coat of DWG, everybody raves about that stuff and maybe it`ll give you just enough of a boost that it`ll make all the difference. It`s compatible with everything, so no worries with the Wolfgang.

I can`t help but think that adding a wax would actually *mute* things just a little bit, the exact opposite of what I think you`re after.

Post Thanks / Like

But here, consider this- maybe add a coat of DWG, everybody raves about that stuff and maybe it`ll give you just enough of a boost that it`ll make all the difference. It`s compatible with everything, so no worries with the Wolfgang.

I like the sound of this. Danase Wet Glaze? Can it be applied by hand? I don`t have an orbital/buffer/etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d go with either a sealant or a carnauba. Use the product you like the look of the best and continue applying it every 6-8 weeks.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the sound of this. Danase Wet Glaze? Can it be applied by hand? I don`t have an orbital/buffer/etc.

I dunno, never used the stuff. But generally anything that works by PC/etc. will work by hand too (and vice-versa if you have the time and energy).

Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I`d go with either a sealant or a carnauba. Use the product you like the look of the best and continue applying it every 6-8 weeks.

Yeah, same here :xyxthumbs Determine what LSP is best for the application and then reapply as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, same here :xyxthumbs Determine what LSP is best for the application and then reapply as needed.

As Mike Phillips says "find something you like and use it often".

I use mostly Opti-Seal and Carnauba Moose on customer`s cars but OCW on my own, just because on my particular color, it looks absolutely amazing. 10 years ago, I would never have thought I`d be using a spray wax on my own car.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information