Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    which is a sign of better coverage

I have been using collinite 476 for years and it has always caused water to bead on any car that I have put it on.

Just tried opti seal for the first time and it is causing the water to sheet off for the most part

has anyone else noticed this?

is sheeting better than beading?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dairyman

I have been using collinite 476 for years and it has always caused water to bead on any car that I have put it on.

Just tried opti seal for the first time and it is causing the water to sheet off for the most part

Most sealants tend to sheet water off instead of bead. OS does sheet the water.

Most waxes tend to have the water bead.

As far as which is better, I would think that having the water sheet off would be better than having water remain on the surface, which could etch the paint when it dries. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    the way i see it, water spots are in the shape of beads of water. the wax that beads allows water to sit on the finnish, and let whatever minerals that are in it etch or atleast leave residue behind (waterspots).. i have yet to see sheeting marks, so i would imagine sheeting is better.. i however like seeing tight little beads on my car. reassures me that somethings there. some waxes do a better job than others at preventing waterspots though.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have read Swissvax wax will sheet off the water.

I think you can see it in action on YouTube. I am looking into getting some to try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never understood the attraction with water beading??? :nixweiss

I want a wax/sealant that will sheet the water away....and I`m not talking about using the sheeting method with the garden hose either. It should sheet away rain water too.

Post Thanks / Like
    for me i think it was, in my pre autopian days, i thought if it beads, there was protection there.. even though i`ve learned so much here, i still feel weird when i see water just laying on or lazily sheeting off my paint.

whats your favorite sheeting sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dairyman

Its personal preference.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I think sheeting is better than beading for everything except looks. That said, any wax is going to start sheeting when the protection is gone so there souldn`t be any water droplet based deposits. Some sealants on the other hand keep beading when they aren`t protecting anymore and you get nice hard water spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1
    Never understood the attraction with water beading??? :nixweiss

I want a wax/sealant that will sheet the water away....and I`m not talking about using the sheeting method with the garden hose either. It should sheet away rain water too.

I agree, but I have yet to see any product that will sheet off water in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    What would the sign to show that the protection is no longer protecting the paint for sealant? Even if it still beads fairly well. How would i know when to reapply sealant again?

My guess is to have the protection one wants, apply sealant regularly should be the best method right unless we can determine if the sealant is still protecting or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrc
    What would the sign to show that the protection is no longer protecting the paint for sealant? Even if it still beads fairly well. How would i know when to reapply sealant again?

*IMO* the beading changes pretty early in the game, if you reapply then you`re probably ahead of the curve. Other than that, if the slickness and/or dirt shedding drops off, I`d redo it as soon as you notice a change.

My guess is to have the protection one wants, apply sealant regularly should be the best method right unless we can determine if the sealant is still protecting or not.

Yeah, if in doubt reapply. But I always find that something I value (beading, slickness, dirt shedding) starts to drop off long before the LSP is really *dead* so it`s pretty easy to stay on top of things.

As soon as it quits acting "just waxed", I`d redo it. And it`ll almost certaing quit *acting* that way long before it quits *looking* that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    i would say beading, usually when i drive the beads fly off anyway
    Dynamic Detailing

Lancaster, PA

Josh Weaver

2003 Monte Carlo SS :woot:

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the answer lies with each individual companies products. I get the impression that some companies use ingredients that bead for their protective qualities. Others may use an ingredient that sheets due to a desired charactaristic. What is most important is that what it does immediately after curing stays consistant. I used one product that sheeted incredibly well for 2 washes. When there is a change in water behavior there is a change in surface tension due to some surface change.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your main objective to put up a LSP?

My objective of applying LSP (sealant) is to prevent etching from acid rain and bird poos (paint protection). Secondary is for ease of washing. Thirdly, is to have that slick feel on the paint work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrc
    What is your main objective to put up a LSP?

My objective of applying LSP (sealant) is to prevent etching from acid rain and bird poos (paint protection). Secondary is for ease of washing. Thirdly, is to have that slick feel on the paint work.

Yep, all good. But, given these, what is your answer to the question? I.e., is it better to sheet or bead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information