Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all, I have a 1999 camry with the original windshield, and the glass had some swirls and scratches on it, so I wanted to correct this. So, I applied Megs Ultimate Compound on it (I read somewhere that this could be done to polish glass) by hand, and now I have swirls all over the windshield!! The glass looks clean, but in the sun you can see all of the swirls I put there. I am very upset about it. Is there any way I can fix my stupid mistake? I tried DG Nu Glass, but it didn`t remove the swirls. I`m getting a flex polisher for Christmas, and I need recommendations on what to use. The flex kit I`m getting is with the Wolfgang line of products. Can any of these products be used to fix my problem? Will anything like Aquapel or Klasse AIO hide the swirls better?

PLEASE HELP!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quite a few fixes.

JC Whitney and Eastwood offers a glass/windshield polishing kit containing cerium oxide and a felt mandrel. I used the JC Whitney one to remove some serious wiper scratches from the wife`s Camaro. Cerium oxide is used to polish telescope lenses so it`ll work perfectly for your windshield.

Diamondite offers similar packages.

The JC Whitney / Eastwood packages were around 35 bucks, the Diamondite packages were more comprehensive and a bit more.

The three options I`ve mentioned will actually remove your scratches by polishing the glass to the point where your swirls are really gone. Distortions won`t be added either.

I don`t think there is any product that will permantly fill in your scratches so I`m thinking the Flex and Wolfgang are best used on your paintwork and not your glass.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of using Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound with an orange 4" pad but may reconsider...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is strange. I have never hand any issues while grinding away with 105 via Megs G110 and LC 4" orange at speed 6 on my windshield. You might try one of the polishes you get with the flex.

Post Thanks / Like
    the windshield is 10 years old?? cool! Still, I think i`d replace it.
    Calvin

`05 Mustang GT

`09 Xterra

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have pictures of the glass or windshield?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone, I guess I`ve tried a whole bunch of stuff, and maybe I`m just freaking out a bit about it. I was driving yesterday in the sun, and yes, you can see the swirls that I created, but they are not as noticeable as I thought. It`s really not that bad.

I know glass is very hard, and I`m not trying to blame the product (Megs UC) for scratching it, but I`m just not sure how I did it. I know UC is safe and does not scratch. Well, I`m not sure how the original scratches got in the glass because I inherited the car from my grandmother and I have no idea what she may have done to it...And I am definitely a newbie when it comes to this kind of thing, so maybe I just made the glass cleaner so the scratches are more noticable. I believed the UC put the scratches there because there are more now than there were before, so I think I put them there. I applied the UC with a foam applicator pad by hand in little circles, and now I have lots of little swirls in the glass. Did my foam pad cause the scratches? I first clayed the glass with blue clay magic, then cleaned the glass really well with Megs NXT glass cleaner, then applied the UC with the foam pad, let it dry to a haze, then removed with a clean microfiber towel. Not sure how I introduced all the swirls with what I did, but some how I did.

Sorry but I don`t have any pics...but I`m really not that great with a camera anyway...

I wish I had never tried to fix it to begin with!! But thank you for your help. We are blessed here in the Autopia forum to have such knowledgeable experts to help us newbies. Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What would one use to `recondition" a pitted windshield? Would something like a DA with M105 or M205 do the trick is there another preferred method? Worst case scenario is having the `shield replaced (SC ins- cracked shield= free replacement) due to a current rock chip... I`m just leary to have it replaced due to possible leakage..
    New guy looking for tips and tricks of the trade. Considering opening mobile detailing biz on the side..... Where better to learn that Autopia?

Post Thanks / Like
    "Always start with the least aggressive method" then work your way up if it warrants stronger stuff. Then work your way back down.

Sounds like you skipped the first step and now you just need to work your way back down, and fortunately people have provided you with some polish recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like
    So would using Menz IP+LC 4" Orange pad remove light swirls/scratches in the windsheild?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I`m wondering if you stopped before the polish was fully broken down and working...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker
    So would using Menz IP+LC 4" Orange pad remove light swirls/scratches in the windsheild?

It depends. If you are working by hand, probably not. If by

the flex, then maybe. Glass is just so much harder than a CC.

AG sells some Cernium Oxide (I believe) that is made just for polishing glass and

some thin glass polishing pads. I believe Todd, of ban fame, wrote a nice writeup on it somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Groits has a nice pad and compound for it. Cheap and works great. You also need the rubbing action of a DA to help. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try 00000 steel wool also removes water spots.Spray windshield with glass cleaner then rub with 00000 steel wool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its likely that the hand application caused the swirls. I`m willing to bet you wouldn`t get swirls if you used a DA.

Thread Information