Post Thanks / Like
    i know you all know what im tlaking about. you spray your wheel/tire cleaner, let it sit for a few seconds before scrubbing, and the mist/fumes from the cleaner kind of permiates the air for what seems like forever. burns real bad to breathe in, and has that aweful smell. every tire and wheel cleaner i have used is like this......what is in it that causes this? and is there any rememedy to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I do know what your talking about, I believe its some kind of acid but don`t quote me on it. When your spraying it stand up and lean over, keep the bottle as far away from you as you can. Than wait about 30 seconds and the air should be a little more breathable. I would wear latex gloves and a mask when your using it, degreaser is even killing me lately.

- Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Read the label. If it has hydroflouric acid I wouldn`t use it and here`s why.

Hydrofluoric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard
    Read the label. If it has hydroflouric acid I wouldn`t use it and here`s why.

Hydrofluoric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert

X2! That stuff will kill you.

If you must use a harsh wheel cleaner wear gloves and a respirator. Those chemicals are particularly dangerous because the may not cause pain but will cause severe harm or death.

I would try a surfactant based wheel cleaner. Keeping a coat of wax/sealant on your wheels will allow you to clean them with a simple soap and water solution.
    Formerly carn00bie

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m trying to figure out a way to use something like Citrus Wash & Gloss. Want it to cling, but don`t want it to strip anything. A member here came up with something, but didn`t elaborate and that was two years ago.

But I may make the drive to a Harley dealer and pick up S100. I dunno what`s in that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that I could drink the stuff that I use from Griot`s to clean my tires and wheels.

Do you need to use something that potent, on every occasion?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use MS wheel bright (rebadged Megs) 4:1, smells good but I don`t try to catch a buzz on the fumes. And only if the wheels are NASTY. Otherwise, get a good APC, (I like MS Super Green Stuff) add a few ounces of car wash like DG to the spray bottle to thicken it up, get a spray head that "foams" and voila - sticky wheel cleaner at dirt cheap price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Furd
    I think that I could drink the stuff that I use from Griot`s to clean my tires and wheels.

Do you need to use something that potent, on every occasion?

yea usually....the cars i get are nice cars, but they have been neglected and the wheels are usually the dirtiest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I avoid any type of cleaner that does my body harm. Just think of what that stuff does to your wheels over time.

I use an organic wheel cleaner that is non-caustic and easily removes the worst break dust. Just spray it on and wipe it off.

I remember using some of that Purple Stuff APC from Wal-Mart to clean a filthy interior; the smell was so strong that I had stand in front of a fan to clean my nostrils. When I delivered the vehicle the client said that it smelled way to "chemical-ly".

My two cents.

Thread Information