Post Thanks / Like
    I would like some advice on what to do to each of my three cars. Here`s what I`m thinking and what I have so far.

1. `09 F150 Platinum, black - this is a brand new truck, and the one that prompted me to research detailing. I read a post on new cars that said I should start with clay, but I don`t really want to risk scratching it I`m thinking just a sealant glaze and wax, so I ordered some Klasse Sealant Glaze and Collinite 845.

2. `04 Lincoln Towncar - this is my daily driver and the beige color sems to be able to take on a lot of dirt before it looks dirty, so this one tends to get neglected. I planned on using the same Glaze and 845, but also ordered some Klasse AIO. I would consider claying this one.

3. `97 Jaguar XK8 Convertible, Arden Red - I just got this one recently (always wanted a Jag), and it`s going to need the most work - lots of road chips, scratches and swirls. Since I`ll be doing paint touch up and wetsanding, I ordered a G110. It was on sale on Amazon for $118 and they were offering another $20 off if you buy it with a Meguiar`s kit, so I picked up their NXT Wash and Wax Kit for $26. I don`t know if I`ll even use it, but I couldn`t pass it up for $6. I also ordered some LC orange, white and grey pads. I read the post on fixing chips and he used SFX1 and SFX2. I`ll order them, unless I hear differently here, but need to know what to follow it up with I saw in the table of Product Grades that the AIO is at the same level as the Sonus Paintwork Cleanser. Would that work? I haven`t seen anyone using SFX3 is that needed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you think that claying the car is going to cause scratches, you need to do a lot more reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay the 09. There is lots of embedded particles on the paint. If it was shipped by rail you`ll have particles. It will not scratch or marr if done right.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t Collinite work best on a nice clean surface? I`m not an expert but I would think a glaze base would hurt the durability of Collinite which is it`s stronger attribute. Clay doesn`t scratch unless you scrub it on the surface dry like a brillo pad. Keep the surface lubricated and knead the clay often (at least 1 or 2 times per panel).

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m convinced - I`ll clay the `09. What would be the right wax to put on after a sealant glaze, if it`s not 845?

Post Thanks / Like
    For lots of people P21s is a very popular choice to put over Klasse, though the durabilty is not great, but hey that is what the Klasse is for right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, lazzman. I just read the Carnauba vs sealants article on AutoGeek and think I understand it now.

My plan for the `09 - Clay, KSG, P21s. How does the P21S compare to Pinnacle?

Still looking for advice on the Jag. Planning on SFX1 and SFX2 after wetsanding. Alternative suggestions? What about following it up with KAIO and then KSG & P21S just like the truck?

Thread Information