Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just wondering if using Calgon Water Softener in the wash bucket and rinse bucket would help with water spots and more sudsing?

I cam across this idea here:

https://www.slkworld.com/caring-your...-exterior.html

One more idea that I came up with several years ago, . . .use about a 1/4 cap full of liquid Calgon water softener in your suds bucket and in your rinse bucket. This {almost} prevents water spots from the get-go. In the USA, most grocery stores & Wallmart carry it.

Any ideas?
    PC 7424 / POOR BOYS / KLASSE / Black WOW / PlastX / Lexol / 303 / Bissell Auto Care / Bissell Garage Pro Vac

1997 ACURA CL 3.0 | 2005 BMW X5 3.0 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh. 5 years here and that`s the first I remember hearing about this product. I`m not sure exactly how it "softens" the water since it`s not doing any ion exchange...I can only imagine it sequesters the minerals to the bottom of the bucket or combines to form a salt. Any of you ChemE`s know how this works?

HomeSolutionsNewsĂ‚®: CALGONĂ‚® Water Softener Neutralizes Hard Water Minerals in Your Laundry

Post Thanks / Like
    From Calgon Solutions

Calgon has a unique formulation with active ingredients being polycarboxylates which softens hard water, preventing limescale from forming in the first place. It is not a descaler, it is purely a preventative—which means that the sooner you introduce Calgon into your daily washing routine, the better!

From Calgon Water Softener - A Different Way To Soften The Water

While other water treatments are used as a de-scaler, Calgon water softeners are meant as a preventive measure. It is through the active ingredient, polycarboxylates that the softening of hard water takes place, as well as the prevention of limescale formation.

Immediately, Calgon softeners start working to protect the pipes, pumps, and any additional parts of a washing machine and other items that come in contact with hard water. In the end, the softening process helps parts and other objects last longer and perform at a higher level.

Calgon products work to remove the minerals contained in hard water that traps grime in clothing that causes their appearance and feel to become dull. Today, consumers purchase Calgon water softners based upon personal preference, as the market offers this product in tablet, gel, and powder form.
    PC 7424 / POOR BOYS / KLASSE / Black WOW / PlastX / Lexol / 303 / Bissell Auto Care / Bissell Garage Pro Vac

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another explanation I found (Word Doc):

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://ww...CpcNRuW19bUxGA

HTML Version (No Pictures)

Calgon

How does CalgonĂ‚® reduce limescale?

CalgonĂ‚® is formulated to soften water and reduce the effects of hardness in a number of ways that reinforce each other – they are synergistic. It prevents the deposition of limescale in four ways called technically ion exchange, neutralisation, suspension and regrowth inhibition.

The doc goes on to expain each part. I`m guessing it should be safe to use on a car or Microfibre if used in the Gel form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh No,

Q: Can CALGONĂ‚® Water Softener be used to wash cars?

A: No, CALGONĂ‚® Water Softener is not designed to be used for washing automobiles.

HomeSolutionsNewsĂ‚®: CALGONĂ‚® Water Softener Neutralizes Hard Water Minerals in Your Laundry

That answers that I guess.

But why?

Thread Information