Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I currently own a 2008 350Z. I take very good care of the car, but recently I was coming up a steep driveway and scraped the bottom of my bumper. The damage to the actual bumper was minimal, with only a little bit of paint being scraped off. Most of the damage was incurred on the bumper guard, which is a black lip that is molded to the bottom of the bumper.

Even though it could of been much worse, I can`t stop thinking about replacing the whole front bumper. Have any of you had similar situations or have I just lost my mind?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a car that you use, and that means you`re gonna get some dings, chips from rocks, etc. It`s the first one that hurts the most.
    Gary
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like
    If it will remain your daily driver I would just let it go. **** happens!

Post Thanks / Like
    you are being to ocd. if its a daily driver you`re never going to keep it perfect. however if you`ve got the money that scrape is a perfect excuse for you to get an aftermarket bumper.

Post Thanks / Like
    you`re going to get scratches, dings, stone chips, etc. as long as there is dirt, gravel, rocks, inconsiderate people, etc., it`s going to happen sooner or later. just try your best to prevent some of it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if you are considering repainting the bumper over this, your baby is going to spend more time in the shop then driven..

Drive it, accept that the bumper will get scraped, chipped, etc... Just do your best to avoid it. Maybe every 30k miles or so you can get it resprayed (and it will give you time to save for a body kit/aftermarket bumper if thats your thing). Just my take, enjoy it man and just do your best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Autopians have OCD to some degree. It`s normal (here).

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s normal, of course, but on a daily driver you`re going to spend a lot of money if you fix every little scrape on the undercarriage. Lift it up and touch up the area to make it less obvious (imo).
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    My beloved `01 S8 (pretty much of a garage-queen, only ~15K since new) is too low to avoid occasional scraping (of the black plastic under the bumper) no matter *how* careful I am. Yeah the damage bugs me, but I just live with it.

I`m pretty confident that anything *I* live with on *that* car is something anybody oughta live with on any car, especially on a driver

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel a little bit better now, thanks. Anytime I mention this to someone who`s not really into cars, they just look at me like I`m crazy, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same thing happend to me with my first 350z scraped the same part and i lost sleep at night thinking about it. happend again with my new nismo scapred the bottom of the bumber underneath on a parking curb was upset for weeks. but it happens youll get over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are crazy. Go to the dealer and get a touch-up pen/brush. Don`t keep it in

the car though...

Post Thanks / Like
    you are just as crazy OCD as me. i fret over the same stuff. the good thing is that you can`t see it unless you bend over the front. i have 3M on all my cars. my DD CTS front bumper cover was bumped by someone in a parking lot and torn about a 3/8" piece. you have to really get up close to see it. it did its job and saved the paint. so crazy me is thinking that i should have the freeking $650 job redone. it bothered me for about a week and i got over it. now THAT`S ocd. :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    You are far from OCD! The front spoiler on my sled is VERY close to the road. I`m quite a nut about protecting it from scrapes ... alas ... it still happens.

Since the lowest part of the spoiler (chin) is black plastic, you can file/sand/Dremel the rough bits and gouges and make them less noticeable. It`s a steady hand and a lot of patience, but go with the lightest grade sandpaper or Dremel bit and work it very, very slowly until the knurled plastic bumps are smoothed out. Then feather out the gouges in as small a space as possible.

I know a lot of the people I respect on this site will chastise me for this, but when you`re done, but, wipe the area`s you just sanded with a film of WD-40 or light oil. This will take the `white` off the plastic if you sanded too hard. It works for me and it hides the damage pretty well.

As for the paint, I`m sure you know how to touch that up.

Hope this helps.
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintlysins
    The front spoiler on my sled is VERY close to the road. I`m quite a nut about protecting it from scrapes ... alas ... it still happens. .

Heh heh, back when I had the Mallett `vette, Chuck M. told me I oughta just plan to replace the rubber chin spoiler at about every other oil change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information