Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So Home Depot is going to have a Ridgid vacuum on sale, but its only 3.5 hp. Do you guys think that this is too weak?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 3.0 WetVac. I am not a detailer, just use it for my cars and vacuuming garage and cellar. It is plenty strong enough. I was surprised by the good suction. You could always try it and return it if you don`t like. That`s what I intended to do, but kept it at a great price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally wont own one that isnt at least 5 hp. I had a Craftsman 3 hp back in the day and it just didnt get the bad jobs done!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m currently looking into buying another vac before the start of next season. I have 2 of the smaller All Arounds. I just realized that one only has 2.5 peak HP. It also blows. The other is less. I`ve been working to hard vacuming. Would one of you point me to a good, lightweight, strong ,compact vac, for a mobile detailer? I`m asking for alot, but you notice I didn`t add cheap!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 4hp that is way too weak. I need a stronger one. I should`ve just paid the extra $20-$30 at the time to get the 5 or 6hp vac.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a little vacuum that I got at Home Depot a while back. It`s called the "Stinger" and it was very small, and lightweight. It`s not very powerful, and it doesn`t really say how many HP it is. I`m guessing it`s pretty low. But I love it for general household jobs, and getting into tight crevices in my interior.

But, as I said, it`s not very powerful. I`m looking into something to tackle bigger jobs. There was another thread on here earlier about a black friday deal at Lowe`s.

It`s a 5.5 hp wet/dry vac for $30!!!!!

Shop-Vac at Lowe`s: 14-Gallon 5.5 Peak HP Wet/Dry Shop Vac

Post Thanks / Like
    i also would only purchase a vac that is at least 5hp+...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Less
    I have a little vacuum that I got at Home Depot a while back. It`s called the "Stinger" and it was very small, and lightweight. It`s not very powerful, and it doesn`t really say how many HP it is. I`m guessing it`s pretty low. But I love it for general household jobs, and getting into tight crevices in my interior.

But, as I said, it`s not very powerful. I`m looking into something to tackle bigger jobs. There was another thread on here earlier about a black friday deal at Lowe`s.

It`s a 5.5 hp wet/dry vac for $30!!!!!

Shop-Vac at Lowe`s: 14-Gallon 5.5 Peak HP Wet/Dry Shop Vac

Actually, I was the one that made that thread, but that one just seems way too big. But I guess the general consensus is that vacs should be at least 5 hp. Guess I have no choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Shine
    ............Would one of you point me to a good, lightweight, strong ,compact vac, for a mobile detailer? I`m asking for alot, but you notice I didn`t add cheap!
    They aren`t cheap but if you don`t need to wet vac the Metro Vac N’ Blo`s are hard to beat. Below are some links so you can read up on them:

Portable Car Vacuum - Vac N`Blo by MetroVac

Metro Vac N`Blo® Portable Vacuum doubles as a powerful blower. Blow dry your car or motorcycle or vacuum your vehicle`s interior with one Metro Vac N

Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum VNB-83BA Vac N`Blo Auto Vac: Home Improvement

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...vac-n-blo.html

Made in the USA to boot.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jkn12786
    Actually, I was the one that made that thread, but that one just seems way too big. But I guess the general consensus is that vacs should be at least 5 hp. Guess I have no choice.

I`m pretty sure it`s the same one. The Lowe`s flyer that you posted, (which is the same one that`s on Black Friday 2008 Sales and Online Black Friday Ads at iBlackFriday.com), shows a 14 gallon, 5.5 HP vacuum with a regular price of 89.97 on sale for $30

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the hp ratings on vacuums are bogus. Why is it that an electric motor for a 2-hp air compressor draws 15 amps, and a 6.5-hp Ridgid vac only draws 12 amps? They talk about "peak hp," which is probably designed to be misleading. You should probably compare the amp draw on the various vacuums to get an idea of their power.

Personally, I have one of the cheaper Ridgid vacs (6 gallon I think) and it is totally adequate for everything I do.
    My stable includes a 2019 Toyota Avalon and a 2016 BMW 550i.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Less
    I`m pretty sure it`s the same one. The Lowe`s flyer that you posted, (which is the same one that`s on Black Friday 2008 Sales and Online Black Friday Ads at iBlackFriday.com), shows a 14 gallon, 5.5 HP vacuum with a regular price of 89.97 on sale for $30

Oh, sorry. I think you misunderstood me. I understood they are the same one. I just meant that the vacuum itself is just too big.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s got to be 5 hp or more for me. Here`s a (partial) copy of my post in April. This is the best Vac I`ve ever had and 7 months later it`s still kicking butt!

ShopVac has a 16 gallon with a 6.5 hp (peak) engine.

Here’s the option that cinched it: DETACHABLE MOTOR BECOMES A 250 MPH BLOWER!!!!

I just put the thing together and tested the blower … what a monster! Way better than that Black & Decker rechargeable ‘hard surface’ leaf blower I’ve been using around the car to blow out nooks & crannies.

What a 2 for 1 tool. The way it detaches from the canister is unique (motor only), and doesn’t require the canister, so you’re not going to contaminate the discharged air.

If you’re looking for one, it’s Model # 142518. $85.00 with Lowes sale going on right now – cheaper on line I’m sure.

Hope this helps,
    SaintlySins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintlysins
    It`s got to be 5 hp or more for me. Here`s a (partial) copy of my post in April. This is the best Vac I`ve ever had and 7 months later it`s still kicking butt!

ShopVac has a 16 gallon with a 6.5 hp (peak) engine.

Here’s the option that cinched it: DETACHABLE MOTOR BECOMES A 250 MPH BLOWER!!!!

I just put the thing together and tested the blower … what a monster! Way better than that Black & Decker rechargeable ‘hard surface’ leaf blower I’ve been using around the car to blow out nooks & crannies.

What a 2 for 1 tool. The way it detaches from the canister is unique (motor only), and doesn’t require the canister, so you’re not going to contaminate the discharged air.

If you’re looking for one, it’s Model # 142518. $85.00 with Lowes sale going on right now – cheaper on line I’m sure.

Hope this helps,

I wish they made that setup with a smaller canister... I only have room to haul a small 6 gal~ in my car for mobile details or I would get that for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumadar
    I wish they made that setup with a smaller canister... I only have room to haul a small 6 gal~ in my car for mobile details or I would get that for sure.

Same here. Anything 10 gallons or above is just too big for me. If I could keep something that big around, I would. Unfortunately, I just don`t have the room for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information