Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I know it sounds stupid and crazy...but this is all I can think of.

I just finished a full detail on an airplane and the detail started with an ONR rinse, followed by 3 days of polishing with M86, followed by M21 2.0.

Come day 4, we go to open the cockpit and a rear hatch and BOTH are INSANELY bonded shut. We had to pry the crap out of it and it ended up tearing one gasket off the hatch. There were remnants of rubber where it was stuck.

There was absolutely NO residue from wax or M86, not was it possible for it to get down in there. the ONLY possibility was that my ONR solution (proper dilution wash ratio) could have slightly gotten in there.

Even still, it just doesn`t make sense that it would have had any type of reaction with the rubber to cause something like this.

The plane was inside a hanger the entire time.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    heat from polishing melted the rubber?

if the gasket is shot test it with some ONR and see it it affects it

if so contact then

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even half an ounce of acid in a gallon of water wouldn`t have caused that IMO. I think Big Jim is right about the polishing step generating heat. I suppose in the future you could dress the gaskets prior to polishing and check to see how much heat you are generating in those areas to test the theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    It definitely was NOT from heat. I was testing (feeling the panel) and it barely got warm, if that. Also, the part that melted was the opposite side from the panel I buffed, ie it didn`t fuse to the part I was buffing, but the part below it.

I`m totally boggled by this, and hate just telling him "it wasn`t me" without an explanation. He`s had the plane for years and it has never happened before...

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you should contact DR G personally and talk to him. Get the answers straight from the source-yes or no.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    I think you should contact DR G personally and talk to him. Get the answers straight from the source-yes or no.

I planned on it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this first.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was the ONR, you`d think there`d be more complaints about our vehicles` weather stripping to have glued shut by now. Must be something else you`ve missed or something you`re not aware of on that plane before you started working on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade9
    If it was the ONR, you`d think there`d be more complaints about our vehicles` weather stripping to have glued shut by now. Must be something else you`ve missed or something you`re not aware of on that plane before you started working on it.

Well, I thought about that...but that is a yes and a no since the seals were left shut, tightly at that, and for 4 straight days. i would bet cars rarely get washed and then the doors stay shut for 4 days.

Also, it may be possible that aeronautical grade rubber is different?

As for me missing something else, literally all that touched the plane was ONR, followed by (in that area) M86, 50/50 water/LT to remove (NO WAY it got in there), followed by M 21 2.0, and then UQD. That is it.

I`m still leaning towards random happening...but I like to consider all possibilities. :aww:

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Until you can talk to David, look at the MSDS: http://www.chemicar.com/cardetail_norinse.pdf

If you have to ingest large quantities before treatment is needed and it only irritates the eye, I`m pretty sure it doesn`t MELT rubber. No hazardous, toxic, or corrosive ingredients at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps there was residue from another chemical already on the plane in the jams. I`m not familiar with ONR enough to guess its chemical makeup, but perhaps there was a chemical reaction beyond what you have considered.

Did you smell anything weird while detailing the plane? If so, at what point in the process?

Thread Information