Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody know any products that i can find locally that can remove permanent markings on my leather seats?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    try hairspray. Works on ink not sure on the marker though. Google it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rubbing alcohol works too, make sure to use a leather conditioner after because the rubbing alcohol also removes some natural oils in the leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine uses another permanent marker to remove permanent maker stains.

A bit risky, but Ive seen it work. Get another pen and light draw over the mark and remove immediately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzerjp
    A friend of mine uses another permanent marker to remove permanent maker stains.

A bit risky, but Ive seen it work. Get another pen and light draw over the mark and remove immediately.

I`ve done that on hard surfaces with a dry erase marker (write over permanent marker line with a dry erase marker and wipe off), but i`d be *very* hesitant to try that on leather seats.
    2008 Subaru Outback - Obsidian Black Pearl

1997 Acura Integra - Adriatic Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    The hair spray (White Rain) trick does work sometimes. It can also remove the color from the leather. it may be worth a try. Get yourself some QTips and work quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    The key here is the word permanent. Generally speaking these will have redyed the leather so removal is a technical problem.

Anything that will remove the marker will also remove the finish on the leather and possibly the pigment so this will need replacing. The area can be recoloured if you have a colour mixed to match your leather.

qwertydude - there are no natural oils in leather once it is tanned so they cannot be removed. Nothing that has been put in leather during the tanning process is removed by cleaning methods and adding `conditioner` is a pointless and sometimes damaging excercise.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by judyb

qwertydude - there are no natural oils in leather once it is tanned so they cannot be removed. Nothing that has been put in leather during the tanning process is removed by cleaning methods and adding `conditioner` is a pointless and sometimes damaging excercise.

Hope this helps

Jeff at Refinish Coatings and I were talking once and I joked that as much proccessing that the hide goes through there isn`t much left to call leather. I still don`t think people understand that they are not actually touching the leather in their car, but the coating on top of the leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    ADS sells a pen ink removing pen. I haven`t tried it on full blown permanent marker yet, but it worked like magic on unidentified pen markings recently where APC+ didn`t even touch it.

You WILL like my work! jayjacque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the leather techs or anyone else who has access to waterbase topcoat and cross-linker:

One thing I finally figured out is if you use something stronger than normal to remove a stain or mark on leather, follow it up with clear topcoat rather than just a conditioner. Then you probably will have it back to the state it was originally in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of hair dye on a leather couch. It is a fully finished coated leather. No amount of scrubbing or solvents was going to remove this. If I would have removed the stain with solvents, then I would have removed part of the coating as well. At that point it would need to be recoated like Jay said. Since there is a thick coat on car seats, you can sometimes get away with removing a little coating, but it would affect the longevity of the leather.

[img=http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/2879/clowe056largefb7.th.jpg]

On this couch, I had to use my computer for a color match and refinish it. I used a Preval (I was in a high rise), so the finish wasn`t up to my usual standards. Here is the after pic. My battery went dead, so I had to settle for a sub par pic.

[img=http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6909/clowe057largeer0.th.jpg]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by judyb
    The key here is the word permanent. Generally speaking these will have redyed the leather so removal is a technical problem.

Anything that will remove the marker will also remove the finish on the leather and possibly the pigment so this will need replacing. The area can be recoloured if you have a colour mixed to match your leather.

Hope this helps

you`re saying that using leather conditioner serves no purpose at all? (not calling you out...just curious). would this just be for coated leather (the "shiny" type in some vehicles) vs. the "plush" soft dull looking leather?
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    i scrubbed it off using the leather cleaner. It worked after a while. lol

I like mine to shine!!! theamcguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumadar
    ADS sells a pen ink removing pen. I haven`t tried it on full blown permanent marker yet, but it worked like magic on unidentified pen markings recently where APC+ didn`t even touch it.
    Who is ADS?
    Bill Strobel
    Owner Independent Towing
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don`t Do It At All!

Post Thanks / Like
    Auto Detailing Solutions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information