Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    if i wash once a week or every other week..do i need to use a wheel cleaner every time or wash with soap first then see what happens?

im waiting on a Foamaster II to get here. i had been using some eagle 1 every time i wash the car. i just dont want to eat the clear off ya know. i guess ill use the FM and clean them good and see what they look like and if i need some cleaner go back over them.

ive been looking at the Griots wheel cleaner, by reading the ad im assuming its a mild cleaner since its BBS approved? after i go through the eagle 1 and hot rims (yes i needed stuff in a pinch and cheap) i may try the Griots or if you guys can recommend a good cleaner i can get a gal container of that is easy on clear coated wheels id appreciate that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sas71
    if i wash once a week or every other week..do i need to use a wheel cleaner every time or wash with soap first then see what happens?

im waiting on a Foamaster II to get here. i had been using some eagle 1 every time i wash the car. i just dont want to eat the clear off ya know. i guess ill using the FM and clean them good and see what they look like and if i need some cleaner go back over them.

ive been looking at the Griots wheel cleaner, by reading the ad im assuming its a mild cleaner since its BBS approved. after i go throught the eagle 1 and hot rims (yes i needed stuff in a pinch and cheap) i may try the Griots or if you guys can recommend a good cleaner i can get a gal container of that is easy on clear coated wheels id appreciate that.

Yes, the goal is to maintain them often enough that only soap is needed to clean. A mild cleaner such as Griots should not harm the clear, however, it will probably remove any sealant or wax applied to the wheels. If I recall correctly the Eagle One stuff contains one of the nasty HF or ABF acids; which I do not recommend.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I never use any wheel cleaners on my wheels. I just keep them wax/sealed and use normal shampoo when cleaning them. If you don`t let them go too long between waxes or washes, you shouldn`t need a wheel cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    D`OH

well now im glad i asked..i thought you were supposed to spray some cleaner on every time. here i was pricing gallon jugs of wheel cleaner trying to see whats the better deal thinking im gonna use it up in no time if i use it every time i wash

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not as fanatical as most on my wheels. Lucky both sets are painted w/ machined lips, I just wash `em down w/ car shampoo using relegated mf, dedicated bucket and a nice soft brush for the lugs. Then blow dry and finish w/ AW every other wash, wipe and I"m good to go!
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the same mix that I use on my paint... no need to use a wheel cleaner, as there is really nothing on them that wheel cleaner is needed to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    My BMW brakes make the wheels almost black within a week. I`ve also been looking for something for my weekly washes that isn`t acidic or caustic. I think I`m going to give Chemical Guys Citrus Wheel and Rim Cleaner a try. You have to call since it`s not on their website but it`s less than $20 a gallon. P21s gel cleaner is another option but expensive given a bottle only lasts me 4-5 washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sas71

im waiting on a Foamaster II to get here. i had been using some eagle 1 every time i wash the car. i just dont want to eat the clear off ya know. i guess ill use the FM and clean them good and see what they look like and if i need some cleaner go back over them.

ive been looking at the Griots wheel cleaner, by reading the ad im assuming its a mild cleaner since its BBS approved? after i go through the eagle 1 and hot rims (yes i needed stuff in a pinch and cheap) i may try the Griots or if you guys can recommend a good cleaner i can get a gal container of that is easy on clear coated wheels id appreciate that.

while the EO1 all wheel & tire cleaner is not cost effective at around $5 a bottle, i`ve been using it for years with no problems and love the stuff. i use it primarily on dirtier wheels, and just use soap & water/APC most of the time. you should have no problems if you use it on a regular basis...

Nothing complements a beautiful detailing job better than sparkling wheels and clean tires. All Wheel & Tire Cleaner is now available in an aerosol to give you more control for even easier cleaning.

Spray on, hose off

Super foamy formula safely removes brake dust and road grime from both wheels and tires

Acid free

Wheel manufacturer recommended

Available in both trigger spray and aerosol

Clean your wheels and tires in one simple step. Eagle One All Wheel & Tire CleanerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s instant foaming action goes to work penetrating and releasing brake dust, road grime and grease from your wheels and tires on contact for a deeper clean. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the only real solution for brake dust in nooks, crannies and crevices. Just spray on and in 30 seconds youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re ready to rinse. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s that easy. No brushes, swabs or rags. In just one simple step, your wheels will shine and tires will be back to black.

Now that All Wheel & Tire is available in an aerosol, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s never been easier to get great-looking wheels and tires in less time.

All Wheel & Tire Cleaner is safe for all types of metal hubcaps and steel or aluminum alloy wheels. Safe finishes include: anodized, clear coated, factory painted and chrome.

WARNING: DO NOT USE ON NON-FACTORY PAINTED WHEELS, MOTORCYCLE WHEELS, AND SOME ANODIZED WHEELS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never use a wheel cleaner. I treat the rims just like I would the paint.
    2004 Jeep liberty w/ stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen arcane
    I`m not as fanatical as most on my wheels. Lucky both sets are painted w/ machined lips, I just wash `em down w/ car shampoo using relegated mf, dedicated bucket and a nice soft brush for the lugs. Then blow dry and finish w/ AW every other wash, wipe and I"m good to go!

painted wheels here also

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    while the EO1 all wheel & tire cleaner is not cost effective at around $5 a bottle, i`ve been using it for years with no problems and love the stuff. i use it primarily on dirtier wheels, and just use soap & water/APC most of the time. you should have no problems if you use it on a regular basis...

Nothing complements a beautiful detailing job better than sparkling wheels and clean tires. All Wheel & Tire Cleaner is now available in an aerosol to give you more control for even easier cleaning.

same stuff except i dont think my bottle says A2Z

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the car wash just like the paint on my painted aftermarket wheels. When I bought my newest car the wheels were pretty bad so I wash, clay, and waxed them. NXT looks good on silver painted wheels IMO.
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the EO tire and wheel cleaner. I love that stuff. It cleans so well but if the wheels aren`t very dirty just use soap and water to wash them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get them clean, if you keep after them then cleaning is no different than washing, watever the method. However, if they have been neglected (mine always get that way in winter), then some more serious cleaning is required. Just like you don`t need to shampoo carpet or upholstery everytime you wash, but here `n there, it`s gonna need it.

I`ve used Wesley`s Bleach White, but that stuff is very strong and you can`t breathe while you use it or you likely to cough up a lung. I just got some EagleOne to try.

In any case, a good tire and wheel brush may is needed. I`ve been thinking about something like this (only with a longer extension):

YouTube - Rotary Wheel Cleaning Brush

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep the wheels on most of our vehicles waxed/sealed and clean `em with strong Griot`s Car Wash mix. On some other vehicles I don`t bother LSPing them and just use Griot`s Wheel Cleaner. Both approaches seem to work OK and the wheels that I keep LSPed sometimes need *really* cleaned anyhow. I will say that the LSPed wheels look nicer while they`re still clean.

In any case, I spritz the wheels with FK425 after every wash.

The Griot`s Wheel Cleaner (and P21s too) will work OK diluted, even diluted so much that it doesn`t immediately strip off strong LSPs. Better use it full-strength if the wheels are really diry though as it`s pretty mild. You can use it for years and years without damaging painted wheels, voice of experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information