Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best way to keep bugs from sticking to painted front bumpers. Unfortunately my car is daily driven, so it gets some bugs on it here and there (I`m so glad fall is near, less bugs). What I usually try to do is wax the front bumper once a month. I find that this makes removing bugs worlds easier with a quick swip of a towel and quick detailer. Does anything out there that will keep bugs from sticking period? I doubt it, but I just thought I`d check. What are some other good tips for keeping the bugs off?

Post Thanks / Like
    The quicker you get to them while they are juicy, the easier they`ll be to get off...

A clear bra would be one option. Also a few coats of wax/sealants would probably help with removal.

A dilution of APC works sometimes. I use this method when I am about to do a full detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ues fabric softener sheets. I put one in water and just go over the bugs. It works and will not scratch paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Soak them in APC, use Stoners Tarminator if absolutely neccecary. Then seal with a product like opti-seal. Mine wipe right off.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use a spong with the fish net looking material around it to get them off. then i usually put a quick coat of sealant on that area everytime i was the car.

:usa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick wash, or a quick detailer will help the bugs come off after you`re done from going point A to point B.

I think the most important thing is have extra protection from the hood to the bumper.

If you want MAX protection, buy a clear bra. This will prevent rock chips and bugs from etching your paint. I have mine for over 2 years and I have a few small damages from rocks and plan on replacing this peice soon. The clear bra is the best option for any car IMO.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Megs UQD after I wash it and they usually just fall off when I spray them with a water hose the next time by.. Not need in rubbing them or taking the wax off with APC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by t-bird
    I ues fabric softener sheets. I put one in water and just go over the bugs. It works and will not scratch paint.

Err.. Of all the things you could use, why would you use a strongly scented fabric softener sheet that may impair the proper function of the MF towels that may touch that part of the paint in the future?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineIRL
    What is the best way to keep bugs from sticking to painted front bumpers. Unfortunately my car is daily driven, so it gets some bugs on it here and there (I`m so glad fall is near, less bugs). What I usually try to do is wax the front bumper once a month. I find that this makes removing bugs worlds easier with a quick swip of a towel and quick detailer. Does anything out there that will keep bugs from sticking period? I doubt it, but I just thought I`d check. What are some other good tips for keeping the bugs off?

I use a product called Bug Guard. Spray it on the front of the car BEFORE you hit the road and begin the bug massacre. It dries on clear and will last for 30 days or until you wash your car, rinse you car or drive through the rain. All three will remove Bug Guard.

When you drive, the bugs will stick to the Bug Guard but will not penetrate through to the paint. If you are on the highway and the front of your car is a bug cemetery, just rinse off with a hose. Usually you do not need any agitation.

The website on the back is prowax.com. Cost me $13-14 at the local Mirror Glase in Louisville.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do a lot of joy riding though the mountains and hills (love the twisties) and i tend to pick up a mess of insects on the front of my car. So usually when i get home i hit it with the air compressor and that gets a majority of the mess off since it`s still pretty fresh. If it`s still really bad i`ll wash my car. If not then my car is fine until the next time i wash (which is ok because i wash the whip often).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    Err.. Of all the things you could use, why would you use a strongly scented fabric softener sheet that may impair the proper function of the MF towels that may touch that part of the paint in the future?

I think that the fabric softener sheets only mess with MF towels in the dryer because they eliminate the static charge that MF naturally has. I doubt that touching a dryer sheet to your car and then a MF days or weeks later would cause any harm.

That being said, while I have heard the dryer sheet method before, they seem somewhat harsh to the touch for me to use on my car. But if you haven`t seen scratching, cool!
    Paul

2000 Corvette

2000 Ford ZX2 S/R

1965 Chevelle

Post Thanks / Like
    Pauly6401, from what I`ve learned, I believe that fabric softener accumulates in the fibers of MF towels and impairs the effectiveness of the towel. This is especially a problem with drying towels.

edit: I mean, why not use an MF towel which is designed for the job?

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy`s Bug Squash and a MF towel works great for me. If the car is gets plastered, I`ll soak the bumper in Bug Squash and hose the bugs off before washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    get the bug sponge from autogeek, no scratches and no bugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLibby04
    I use Megs UQD after I wash it and they usually just fall off when I spray them with a water hose the next time by.. Not need in rubbing them or taking the wax off with APC.

+1

UQD is so slick the bugs don`t get much of a grip on the paint. Nice product. I refresh the front of the car every few days and no longer have any issues with bug sticking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information