Post Thanks / Like
    I waxed my car with Meguires wax last week. It was about 98 outside. There was massives amounts of dust from the wax when I was removing it.

I tried again last night when the sun had almost gone down and it was much much cooler. Hardly any dust when removing the wax.

Lesson learned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve also found that applying wax too thick also contributes to excessive dust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excess dusting is usually the result of an over-thick application. You should only see a haze of wax, as opposed to a coating of wax (when you are applying).

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agreed with the both autopian`s on this. Your using to much wax, just go thin and you will not have this problem again.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5
    I agreed with the both autopian`s on this. Your using to much wax, just go thin and you will not have this problem again.

That is a possibility but I could have sworn I used the same amount the next day when it was cooler outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you describe how thickly you applied the wax? Wax, when applied properly, should be barely visible, to the point where you can only see it at certain angles with the sun shining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thin is in. If you think you didn`t put enough on, it`s probably just right.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueZero
    Thin is in. If you think you didn`t put enough on, it`s probably just right.

I think that`s my problem right now. I usually use cheap wax, but now that I just got my bottle of P21S...

Post Thanks / Like
    P21S rules and it`s very easy to apply a thin coat with it because it`s so oily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its somewhat of a subconscious tendency to apply wax to thick. Sort of like tightening a bolt and giving it an extra tug for "good measure". Back in the day, you didn`t feel you were real polishing unless you had to rub hard to remove wax using a lot of elbow grease. I have since re-trained myself to apply a whisper thin coat and then a second thin coat several hours later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thor!, you`re absolutely right. Even though I`ve applied a lot of waxes/sealants, I still have the tendency to constantly add product to my applicator pad. I have to control myself and squeeze out very little each time and view the paint from different angles just to assure myself that I did get a layer of wax/sealant on there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. While I waxed my car last weekend, I thought I was going thin with my 845IW but in actuality it was too thick and difficult to get it off. Even after I thought I got it off, I pulled it outside in the sun and saw some haze left over that was pretty tough to remove.

-Frank
    Wahoo!! I have a UDM!!!

My car: `02 Civic EX 4DR Burgundy Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VTechFan02
    Agreed. While I waxed my car last weekend, I thought I was going thin with my 845IW but in actuality it was too thick and difficult to get it off. Even after I thought I got it off, I pulled it outside in the sun and saw some haze left over that was pretty tough to remove.

-Frank

Me too. I am used to applying a thin layer of Collinite 845, but recently I got some 476 and I lathered it on my wife`s minivan. It was a pain to remove until I went over the car with some FK 425. It really helps in removing the ham-fisted waxing jobs. I didn`t have any problems applying either 845 or 476 in the hot sun. Really apply thin coats and it comes of real easy. Its nice that you can use the Collinites in the sun. I tried my brother in laws Zymol titanium and it was nice if applied in the garage. If you try it outside in the sun, you will get streaks. Nothing a QD can`t help remove, but still a pain nonetheless.:grinno:

Thread Information