Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 3 year old Aspen White Subaru that recently has had a new panel put on. It`s a good match, but the new panel makes the surrounding ones look like they have a sleight yellow tint. I`m a detail newb and have never polished the car, just clay bared and cheap Meg`s wax.

I read on some other forum to use a cut polish and a paint cleaner to help alleviate the yellowing.

I currently have 3M Perfect It II Rubbing Compound for the polish and the Klasse twins on order (of which I would use the AIO as the cleaner). I also have a Porter Cable with orange, yellow, blue, and green pads. I plan to use the 3M PI with either the yellow or orange pad, the AIO with the green, and the SG with the blue.

Does this sound like the correct course of action? Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop using that yellow Meg`s wax!! (sorry, inside joke).

Seriously, I think clay is in order. I think you will find you just have a buildup of gunk on the paint which the clay will largely remove; follow it with the AIO. I don`t think you need the rubbing compound unless you`ve got swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, after reading that thread on the the yellowing wax, I am going to stop using the Meg`s wax from now on. :nomore: Not going to take the chance.

I clay bar-ed the entire car about 2 months ago to get rid of all the orange fall out spots I had. It worked fantastic on the spots and I was happily surprised with the results.

I do have swirls, but it`s hard to see them in the white paint, so the rubbing compound is needed anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have hard water where you are?i have a 18 y/o car with original white paint also and i always wondered about how to get it whiter/brighter looking.found out that its years of accumalated hard water staining.tried out a product called MX-7 used to remove rust and calcium/hard water stains.let it dwell and worked it onto the paint.rinsed and wiped clean and the paint noticably became whiter/brighter.did that to my whole front bumper and now it matches the rest of the car.HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robert
    do you have hard water where you are?i have a 18 y/o car with original white paint also and i always wondered about how to get it whiter/brighter looking.found out that its years of accumalated hard water staining.tried out a product called MX-7 used to remove rust and calcium/hard water stains.let it dwell and worked it onto the paint.rinsed and wiped clean and the paint noticably became whiter/brighter.did that to my whole front bumper and now it matches the rest of the car.HTH

Yes, I see horrendous water spots on my glass if I don`t wipe off the tap water on there. You can`t really see them on the car since it`s white, but they would be there too. Wouldn`t the rubbing compound remove the waters spots as well? I tried searching for mx7 on google and on this board, but didn`t get many hits. Can you provide me a link with more info or place of purchase? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is that Aspen White is Single Stage (SS) paint. What works best on my Honda SS White is Meguiars ColorX COLORx® G11816 Product Information I`ve tried about everything and this seems to clean the paint real well and not leave residue like the other products I`ve used. :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lupohki
    Yes, I see horrendous water spots on my glass if I don`t wipe off the tap water on there. You can`t really see them on the car since it`s white, but they would be there too. Wouldn`t the rubbing compound remove the waters spots as well? I tried searching for mx7 on google and on this board, but didn`t get many hits. Can you provide me a link with more info or place of purchase? Thanks.

if theres water spots on glass then like everyone would probably tell you,try using clay if its really mild.if not then you`d have to use a water spot remover that you should be able to purchase at a parts store.same with spots on the paint.use a chemical polish to see if itll remove them if not then jump to a more abrasive polish and work from there.i know white is pretty hard to see so when trying to remove them look at the surface at all angles to make sure youve covered the area well.

as for the link i looked it up and sad to say the website isnt there anymore.the pro wax distributor is where i got it from but from the looks of it they have a different water spot remover.try looking it up and see if its something you might want to look into trying.good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    A White Subaru? Those are sharp looking vehicles :chuckle:

On mine, (After a thorough claying of course) I use Werkstatts Prime Strong to get rid of any yellowing. Brightens things up really nicely.

As for the LSP, it varies, FK1000P is my favorite. Duragloss 105/AW is also great. Most anything will look nice after the paint has been taken care of.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    the key with white is to clay and use a good cleaning product like Klasse AIO or Zaino AIO.

Thread Information