Thread: Newbie Help

Post Thanks / Like
    First let me say WOW. There are some amazing works on this site, you should be very proud of your work. I found this site while googling for the best car wax. I really didn`t know there was so much more to it! My question is this: I`ve really done the minimum on my car for the last 5 years. Its a 2002 green Honda Civic. It has some scratches, swirls, etc. I wash it every few months and wax it each spring. I would like to try to approach some of the results I see here. What`s the best way to get on the right path to this? I would like to get a power buffer, but I live in a complex that has no plugs near the parking lot. Do they make rechargable buffers? And should I think about using the clay bar treatment? Also, what wax or polish should I be using? Furthermore, brake dust has become baked on to the wheels, what`s the best way to try to clean this?

Thanks in advance and keep on posting the great photos, they`re a real inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best bet is to read all you can on here first. When you`re ready, pick up a Porter Cable polisher from one of our sponsors, along with necessary pads and a backing plate. There is no decent rechargeable polisher, but you can get a power converter to run through your cigarette lighter.

As far as best polishes, just look through some posts and see what you like. Way too many to recommend.

Clay is an excellent investment, and can help remove the brake dust on your wheels that a wheel cleaner doesn`t remove.

Also, you way want to find a local member on here who can do a section of your car or something to see how it should be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the addiction expectingrain!

Basically read EVERYTHING you can and learn the theories behind the process. +1 on what xhaust50 said as well.

another tip, the Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean is AMAZING on wheels!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice! Probably my car`s most pressing issue is that a few years ago (on Christmas Eve, no less) someone threw an egg at my car. I found out a few hours later and immediately went to the car wash, but somehow it chipped off some paint. Is there a way to fix something like this? The paint is completely gone where the chip is, but its very small. I figure it would probably have to be repainted, but I`d love to be wrong about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post a picture? That would help alot.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    At the risk of giving someone here heart failure, here`s some I snapped today. What can be done with these wheels? It seems like the dirt is really baked on to the wheel. Would I be better off just getting new ones or can I salvage these?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey expectingrain, here is a click and brag I posted a while back, take a look at those wheels man, I used Mr clean magic eraser for most of it, then i used some clay, and finally some wheel cleaner.

didnt take a shot of the after wheel, but you can see some of the wheel in a shot or two

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/...time-w-pc.html

as for that paint chip, I do believe it can be touched up/wetsanded/compounded, there are some good how to threads on here for repairs like that. Just do a search as Im no pro at that stuff.

Hope that helps!

Jim
    2004 Dodge Dakota SXT

Currently Wearing: Scottwax`s Famous Pink Moose, JW AJT, JW AG

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil (What a difference!)

Thread Information