Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have polished 4 cars since purchasing my PC. I start by washing and drying the vehicles then claying all exposed surfaces. I then start polishing. Now I have pretty much been doing beat up cars to learn on so the paint is always in terrible condition.

My question is this, even after a good cleaning AND claying my pads are filthy after my first pass on these cars. I mean i just did a 1999 chevy and my pad is now toast completly filthy and even after letting the pad soak in some soap and water is is still dirty.

Am i doing something wrong?

Is there a better way of cleaning these pads?

Any sales going on for some porter cable pads?

TIA
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    are you running the pads over trim and such while polishing? trim will trash the pad quickly...tons of black will transfer onto the pads.
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    As was suggested, trim will dirty a pad quickly. Also, it`s hard to get even coverage when claying, so there will probably be some spots you missed that the pad won`t. But more likely, you are removing some sub-surface gunk that the clay will never touch, in the "pores" of the paint. There are two reasons for polishing, one, to remove scratches/swirls, and the other, to get that gunk off.

PS Guys, don`t take me too literally with the pores, etc. and give me a hard time.

Post Thanks / Like
    So basically the paint is in such terrible shape that I am not doing anything "wrong" it is just the paint is filthy so it is tranferring the dirt to my pad?

There was no trim on that car that i hit, i was told that trim can rip your pad so i am very careful around there.

What is the best way to clean my pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you working on single stage paint? That`ll dirty up your pads in no time flat. Working on single stage paints is the only time I`ve had the pads get really dirty.

As for cleaning, I use DP`s pad wash powder. Agitate then soak for about 15 minutes. Rinse, air dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    no I am pretty sure it had a clear cote

Post Thanks / Like
    Danny can you take a picture of a dirty pad?

I detailed my fathers white 2003 nissan frontier pickup that he just bought.

It is white and it had so much black junk in the paint I washed it 3 times and clayed and it still didnt all come off untill i used klasse AIO with a green polishing pad after a few passes the paint became white again and my pads was pretty dirty. With a white vehicle its easy to see the paint is still dirty but if the color is darker you may not notice
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    wash your pads in the washer like you do your microfiber. i picked that tip up from someone on here some time ago. gentle cycle if you got it then let airdry. you might wanna use woolite or add a splash of apc but that will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by atticdog

It is white and it had so much black junk in the paint I washed it 3 times and clayed and it still didnt all come off untill i used klasse AIO with a green polishing pad after a few passes the paint became white again and my pads was pretty dirty. With a white vehicle its easy to see the paint is still dirty but if the color is darker you may not notice

i do not like the green pad aio/paint cleaner combo, ive seen marring when i tried it. honestly unless im working on black i rarely use my green, i sub the green for yellow on finicky paint but sometime feel like green is as aggresive as yellow. if youre cleaning with aio why use cut? polishing pads all you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry i should have named the manufacturer green propel pad is a med polishing pad yelow is cut pad I wish all colors meants the same
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like

unfortunalty I do not have my camera handy but the color of the vehicle was a gold color, i only hit it with OC and a orange pad and seeing as it was a quicky the change was amazing to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry i should have named the manufacturer green propel pad is a med polishing pad yelow is cut pad I wish all colors meants the same

gottcha, i just figured we were talking lc or the same style. at least you know what i mean lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you wash the cars again after claying ... or go straight to the PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smprince1
    Do you wash the cars again after claying ... or go straight to the PC?
    \

straight to the PC

Post Thanks / Like
    When trim was mentioned by the first 2 posters, I believe they were referring to the weatherstripping rubber material around the windows. When I did my van last week, my pads would get black patches where it contacted the weatherstripping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information