Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have yet to find an OTC product to detail my wheelwells, and I`m getting desperate. Those wheelwells look pretty ugly Would it be smart to use a tire dressing? I`m currently using Meguiars Endurance Dressing. I`m sure it would go on and stay on, but I`m worried that dirt/road grime will stick onto the dressing. Would it be okay if I wiped the wheelwells down after putting on the dressing?

My parents van has a bumper plate (it`s like a rubber trim), and I have used the Endurance Gel to detail it. It does attract dust pretty badly, but once I wash it the first time, it isn`t "oily" anymore, and still retains the dark black color without attracting dust. Howver, I`m not sure whether this would work for the wheelwells.

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    It should work fine with most tire dressings. Some people use unwanted tire dressing as wheelwell dressing...some even use Mop N Glow. I personally use either Armor All Original or Armor All Detailer`s Advantage Tire Foam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Previously I have used a low grade (low cost) product `Bumper Black` It may be called Fender Black on your Side of the pond. It is something Mr & Mrs `Normal` might use to make ther family wagon look smart for a wedding.

I used a Steam cleaner this weekend, which had the effect of removing most dirt, but they wings (as we call them) were grey but clean.

K1 CERB

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally use either Armor All Original or Armor All Detailer`s Advantage Tire Foam.

I never even thought about using the Tire Foam in there! What a great idea!!:goodjob

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re on the right track with a cheap product for the wheel wells. Save the expensive stuff for the tires.

I use Castrol APC with a bathroom scrubber for the wheel wells then rinse. I dress them with Armor All in a mister and mist just enough for coverage, not drippage.

Prepped wheel wells are like a perfect frame around perfect artwork.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use No Touch tire spray for the wells.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    I tried no touch today in my wheel wells, and it seemed to not clean, nor provide a matte finish... I`ll try again but this time use more... But I do like using tire foam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make sure that your wheel wells are clean or no tire dressing will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Armor All. It actually helps make clean-up easier because dirt won`t stick as well to it as it will the plastic inner liners. Really helpful on vehicles like the Hummer H2, which seems to have acres of visible fenderwell.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys also clean/treat the rough textured areas of the wheel well also?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked
    Do you guys also clean/treat the rough textured areas of the wheel well also?

You mean the textured, painted areas, right?

Depends on the vehicle.

I always clean them, but some German cars have factory (wax based) rustproofing that I con`t want to clean off so I have to be careful. No such stuff to worry about on my Audis or my Japanese vehicle.

On the S8 where these areas are painted body color and aren`t undercoated with anything I`ll use a polish and sealant approach- BF seems to work unsusually well for this (I wouldn`t try KSG, too finicky even for me). On my wife`s A8 (and the minivan) I just clean them and don`t do anything else..sorta neglectful perhaps but after 6-7 years they still look fine (if not concours).

Or, you can just use Griot`s Undercarriage Spray (good IMO but kinda messy, keep it off stuff you don`t want it on ) which will probably be my choice on the M3 where these areas are painted but have a thin film of factory rustproofing on them.

Where these areas are painted black (or are a black body-schutz material) I`d just use the Undercarriage Spray or even dressings. Just because something`s painted that doesn`t mean you can`t still use a dressing-type approach

Post Thanks / Like
    The areas I`m talking about don`t look like they`re painted. It looks more like the popcorn that`s sprayed on ceilings. Maybe it`s for soundproofing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA
    It should work fine with most tire dressings. Some people use unwanted tire dressing as wheelwell dressing. I personally use either Armor All Original or Armor All Detailer`s Advantage Tire Foam.

Ditto.

I also use Z16 (tire sealant) bi-monthly and this stuff really retains that black appearance along with topping with "failed by-my-standards" OTC tire dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frugle
    I tried no touch today in my wheel wells, and it seemed to not clean, nor provide a matte finish... I`ll try again but this time use more... But I do like using tire foam.

Using more isn`t going to matter. You aren`t going to clean wheel wells by merely spraying foam on them.

I always make sure to wipe down the wells very thoroughly after dressing them. Otherwise you will get dirt/grime sticking to the excess coating.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflow

I now do the EXACT same thing. Makes the next clean up so easy. Makes likes a plastic shield over and on the plastic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information