Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this thread a few days ago about a dent. I`m having a PDR guy come to work tomorrow to fix it, and I was pretty excited to have the dent gone.

Flash forward to today. I take the train to work usually, and park the Escape (2007 Ford Escape for those that didn`t check the other thread) at the train lot with hundreds of other cars. I park at the end of the row so I can stay away from other cars so people don`t dent it. Today I come out to my car after work, walk around the passenger side to puy my bag away, and there is a FRICKING 15" LONG SCRATCH DOWN TO THE FRICKING PAINT GOING DOWN THE FRICKING PASSENGER DOOR!!!!!!! I take all the precautions to keep our new car nice, and some fricking punk decides it`s cool to key my car. I`m guessing it was just some random kid walking through the lot and decided it would be cool to key some new car with no plates.

Here are the pictures

So how much can I expect to pay to have this fixed? In some spots it`s clear down to the metal.

I`m almost tempted to call and cancel the appointment with the PDR guy because this is a bit more important.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may be able to claim it on insurance if you want... that really sucks. This is a big fear of mine! I have to park in a parking garage full of college students five days a week and it is always on my mind.

I check everyday to see if anyone got my car...

sorry to hear of this incident

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trmiv

So how much can I expect to pay to have this fixed? In some spots it`s clear down to the metal.

You should definately cancel the PDR appointment if it`s on the same door that is damaged. If they are spraying color already, it`s much cheaper to repair it conventionally, then through PDR. I worked up an estimate in ADP(estimating system) and the repair comes to about $950. That includes repairing the right rear door and blending the right front door, right quarter panel & outer roof panel(required) & removing ALL trim on each of the refinished panels. Hope this helps.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain... sorry to hear it. My 35th Anniversary SS Camaro was keyed in a Mall parking lot even though I park in the boonies... jealous A-holes!

Anyway you slice it youre going to be out your deductible... $500 more then likely? Thats what I had to do... repair on mine was over $1000.
    -2002 35th Anniversary SS Camaro Limited Edition-

-651rwhp/567rwtq @ 6400rpm.

-D1SC Procharger-Custom Cam-FMIC-6.0L Heads-9psi-

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to hear about this, this angers me even when it`s not my car along with other disrespectful mannerisms :down . also see, "mannerisms in public" thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    I cancelled the PDR appointment. It`s not on the same panel though, this is on the right rear passenger door, and the dent is on the hood. But I need to save money to have this fixed, which is going to take awhile. What can I do in the meantime to keep the metal from rusting?

My wife doesn`t want to claim it because she says our rates are going to go up. I asked her why we even have insurance then.

$1000 though? Wow, I had no idea it would be that much. I was hoping $300-500. I`m going to have to save awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trmiv
    I cancelled the PDR appointment. It`s not on the same panel though, this is on the right rear passenger door, and the dent is on the hood. But I need to save money to have this fixed, which is going to take awhile. What can I do in the meantime to keep the metal from rusting?

My wife doesn`t want to claim it because she says our rates are going to go up. I asked her why we even have insurance then.

$1000 though? Wow, I had no idea it would be that much. I was hoping $300-500. I`m going to have to save awhile.

Definately do PDR on a front end panel like a hood. It`s important to retain factory baked paint on a panel that is prone to rock chips. Aftermarket paint won`t be as tough. In the meantime buy a touch up stick at the Ford dearler and touch it up. That color is less visible that others when brush touched. That will seal the metal until you decide to have it professionally repaired. I`d check with you insurance carrier about your rates going up on a Comprehensive Claim. They usually don`t unless you have multiple claims in a short period of time. If they mention that your rates could go up, don`t waste your time hurting your insurance score on a minor event like this. Save up for a big one. (knock on wood).
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to cancel the PDR. The dent is annoying, but not that bad, and there is no paint damage at all. I can deal with the dent for awhile until I can save up enough to have this scratch fixed. I`d rather put off the PDR and get this scratch fixed sooner.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW my rates didnt go up at all... however I dont have any other claims and have been with them for several years.
    -2002 35th Anniversary SS Camaro Limited Edition-

-651rwhp/567rwtq @ 6400rpm.

-D1SC Procharger-Custom Cam-FMIC-6.0L Heads-9psi-

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I`m reading that insurance companies won`t raise your rates for a single comprehensive claim. We`ve been with this company 7 years and never made a claim, so I think I`m going to do it if the cost to fix is a decent amount over the deductable. The decuctable is $500, so I`ll likely use the insurance.

Since this is metallic paint, they are going to have to spray the entire door?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know of anybody in your area that does "micro-repairs". That can repair a small area of a panel.

I know different areas have different names so i will give you my area, Chippy. They will preform this function. Try link below. If done right it is 99%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry link didn`t work.

http://www.rightlook.com/index.asp?P...S&Category=135

Paint Touch Up - Systems & Training

Post Thanks / Like
    =( i feel your pain :grrr i had the same thing happen to my somewhat new car. they left probably 2+ ft keymark on my back bumper which hurts me each time i wash my car. but when i first got my car some guy decided to ding my door so bad taht it took the paint off damn now im all pissed
    http://dandelionnn.com/Signature.jpg

bassani goods & replica rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went out to look the car over again to see how bad it is. You can see in the picture the scratch is in two parts. I can feel both with my fingernail, so they are both deep. The bigger one I can actually see some of the bare metal showing. That first part of the scratch is around 10-12" long, and I`d say 8" of it has bare metal showing. Someone REALLY tried to key the hell out of it. I`m guessing they used a screwdriver or knife or something, because it goes deep. This was no casual walkby, they were meaning to cause some good damage.

I swear everytime I look at it I get more and more pissed. The fact that the useless punk that did this is walking around tonight with the smug satisfaction that he did this and is likely bragging to his piece of crap punk friends that"showed some jerk with a new SUV" pisses me off to no end. I swear I want to setup a sting operation and catch some punk doing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone key`d my Skyline as well. Atleast a 3ft gash on the door, then another 1.5 foot on the rear quarter panel.....
    Pinnacle Detailing - 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS-T TypeM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information