Thread: Not quite...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all. My first experience with a PC has gone great so far! However, I couldn`t fully remove the swirl marks from my car. I`m assuming that I`m being too weak. Using a LC orange pad w/ SSR2. Should I step it up to SSR3, or get a cutting pad? I`m only worried because my car was in good condition as far as swirls, but my friend`s WRX is HORRIBLE and we`re going to work on it. If it couldn`t take it out of my silver finish, there`s no way in hell it`ll work on Rally Blue. So should I get the SSR3, or step up the pad. For the interim, what`s a good heavy polish that I can use which is available locally? Thanks, this site is great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump.

-Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with a cutting pad vs. SSR3

SSR3 is like liquid sandpaper and will create A LOT of hazing that will require more aggressive final polishing steps. If you did want to use a different compound, I have always has amazing results with Optimum`s Hyper Compound, its quite aggressive and it finishes down on some cars IMO LSP ready. One of the best features of OHC is its incredibly long working time, you can use it until it just breaks down for a great results, but the longer you work it the better the final result is.

Of course you could always try SSR2.5, but in my book you cant go wrong with OHC
    2003 CD Silver Focus SVT ZX5
    2014 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3

"You can always tell the way a man takes care of himself by the way he takes care of his car"

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, but is there anything I can use that`s readily available through stores? If not, no biggie

Post Thanks / Like
    ttt

10char

Post Thanks / Like
    bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Final bump.

Post Thanks / Like
    relax!

how many passes did you do with orange pad /ssr2?

I would try smaller pads or more passes

this was your first try with the pc!

I would say relax, it does take a little time to get it perfect,

some pictures would be great- because your discription sounds like you might need a less

agressive final polish!

as far as you friend`s car goes:

all paints are different!

I think he would rather you make a great improvement to his paint than

make it worse going too aggressive!

and finally relax and have some fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your friend`s paint might be softer and easier to correct than what you were working on. What I suggest is you get both a cutting pad and some heavier cut polishes. If you don`t need all of that now, it is nice to have them on hand for future work.

Another thing to consider is buying some 4" pads and a 3.5" backing plate for your PC. You can do a lot more corrections with a smaller pad because the PC won`t bog down like it does with larger pads.

As far as polishes go Optimum`s Hyper Compound, like 02ZTSfocus suggested, gets a lot of good reviews. You can also order some Optimum Polish and mix the two when you don`t need as much cut. I`ve never used SSR3, but I have SSR2.5 which works fairly well. Other polishes I`ve used with good results are Meg`s 80 series (83 & 80) and the 3M PI-III RC 05933 and PI-III MG 05937. Although that 3M line has been discontinued there are a lot of local auto shops that still have some in stock.

Be patient with the PC (it takes a while to do heavy corrections), you might need to make several passes with the PC, try some 4" pads, and gradually step up in polish bite and pads until you get the results you`re looking for. You`ll also need to follow up with a mild polish on a polish pad if you use an agressive polish.

Also look in the Click & Brag forum to see what other members have used to correct paint defects.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh don`t worry, I`m relaxed as hell. I was grinning when I was finished with my car because I could floss my teeth in my rear bumper

I made about 2 passes on every panel with the ssr2 and the orange pad. It knocked down about 60% of the swirls, but the rest are still there (but not very noticeable now).

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum! It wont let you down. I bought all three, OHC, OC and OP - if you do buy the Optimum Polish, make sure they send you the newer formula . . .
    "Nice wax job rook!" . . . . - Ramathorn

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do, thanks!

Thread Information