Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    hello all. this is my first time posting here. this is some great forum where i could find a lot of new information. i love it.

i have a black nissan 350z with some (not too bad) swirls and fine spider-web like scratches on.

i`ve been using meg`s gold class wax on it, but im noticing more swirls over time. so im in search for a swirl filling/hiding wax. i`ve been looking at this forum for a couple of days, and it seems like there are many products out there for filling swirl purpose. plz recommend one for me. i would prefer something i can easily get off shelves.

Thank you.

-John-

Post Thanks / Like
    working by hand, try the mothers 3 step system,

1. Pre-wax cleaner

2. Sealer/Glaze - contains fillers

3. Wax - maybe replaced by your GC wax. I suspect better results if you use Mothers FX Synwax, Mothers reflections, or Meguiars NXT.
    -Jackie

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, if you have really bad swirls that you want to get rid of by hand, use Megs ScratchX
    -Jackie

Post Thanks / Like
    thx for your input.

actually my swirl ain`t too bad. it is noticable tho.

i`ve been looking at some info on NXT stuff on this forum, and many ppl seem to like it.

does this wax fill/hide light swirls? im willing to put on a few coats if i need to.

oh. and which one am i supposed to use? paste, liquid or spray? or are they same thing in different bottle?

thank you.

more recommendations plz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sharingan625
    thx for your input.

actually my swirl ain`t too bad. it is noticable tho.

i`ve been looking at some info on NXT stuff on this forum, and many ppl seem to like it.

does this wax fill/hide light swirls? im willing to put on a few coats if i need to.

oh. and which one am i supposed to use? paste, liquid or spray? or are they same thing in different bottle?

thank you.

more recommendations plz.

NXT does fill SOME swirls, but you`ll never find a product that fills them all. I`ve had good luck with Mother`s cleaner wax for swirl hiding, but its fine as a one step, nothing more.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that swirl fillers wash out fairly quickly. Glazes tend to do the best job of hiding, but for maximum effectiveness, you want to put in on BEFORE your wax. I like Megs #3 Machine Glaze but I get FAR better results with Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze.

You CAN glaze on top of wax, but I don`t recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glazes can be harder to find, but I agree with nitwit, they generally work better. I like Menzerna FTG and Clearkote RMG.

Post Thanks / Like
    thx guys.

so what are some good glaze i can get off shelves?

and is glaze like wax? put it on, let it dry, and wipe off?

maybe i can use glaze + NXT combo?

Post Thanks / Like
    thx guys.

so what are some good glaze i can get off shelves?

and is glaze like wax? put it on, let it dry, and wipe off?

maybe i can use glaze + NXT combo?

Yes, glazes apply in the same fashion as a wax. You don`t need to work it in ... you just need a good coating. The glazes not only contains fillers. Most contain oils to condition your paint, too.

Honestly, I don`t know of very many places, aside from speciality shops that carry what might be affectionately called "professional" quality glazes. NXT wax is probably the most easily found filler for the average consumer. I have seen Megs #3 (machine glaze) and #7 (I believe it`s Show Car Glaze) in both Napa and Checkers.

If you`re looking for something along the line of Menzerna, you`ll have to find yourself a detail supply or detail speciality shop.

Yes, a glaze + NXT combo will work. The glazing step should pretty much do all of the hiding for you, though, so the NXT will probably be redundant. What the NXT _WILL_ do is help to lock your fillers in place for a little longer.

I`ve not used the NXT wax so I`m not sure about the longevity. You WILL have to reapply your fillers occasionally. I can usually go 2-3 washes with the #3 before light swirls start reappearing. I can go about 3-4 washes with the Menzerna FTG and topped with FMJ.

Most waxes containing carnauba will "hide", to some extent, minor swirling. Especially if it`s a fresh coat. Pure synthetic protectants tend to accentuate swirls.

If your swirling is very minor. A coat of NXT every 3-4 weeks may be all you need.

What I would suggest first, is to remove as many defects as you can with a light/medium polish. Once you have eliminated your swirls ... refine your wash technique as a preventative measure and you won`t have to hide as often nor as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    megiuars polish like #81, #3 #7 then toped with nxt would be a good choice

but with meguiars products you only let the waxes dry not their polishes
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    thx nitwit.

i know pepboys carry some meg`s glzes. i think their names go by numbers like showcar glaze #7 or something. what do you guys recommend for my situation? also, what kind of NXT do you recommend? paste, liquid or spray?

thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by atticdog
    megiuars polish like #81, #3 #7 then toped with nxt would be a good choice

but with meguiars products you only let the waxes dry not their polishes

are these polish stuff different from glazes?

thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    either the liguid or paste the spray is a booster for mantaining a freshly waxed look after you nxt wax
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    polish is the original name for a what people call glaze

since 1901 by meguiars
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    thx nitwit.

i know pepboys carry some meg`s glzes. i think their names go by numbers like showcar glaze #7 or something. what do you guys recommend for my situation? also, what kind of NXT do you recommend? paste, liquid or spray?

thank you.

Both the #3 and the #7 are similar in function. I would choose whichever you can find without discrimination.

As I`ve said, I have little NXT wax experience. I`m going to GUESS that while the paste is more durable, the fillers will wash out fairly quickly and you`ll probably want to wax again. An educated guess would be a rewax every 3-4 weeks (assuming weekly washing) to keep defects hidden. On that point alone, I`d eliminate the paste wax as it`ll take more work to apply. Personally, I don`t much care for spray waxes as they tend not to last for much time at all. My recommendation would have to be the liquid.

are these polish stuff different from glazes?

thx.

Heh. Now we`re going into semantics.

Polishes are used for defect removal and range from light to heavy abrasiveness. Normally, a heavily abrasive polish is referred to as a compound. You will use polishes to reduce/repair swirls, scratches, etc. There are different variants of polishes ... some contain cleaning agents, some do not. Some contain fillers, some do not. The lines are really blurred, nowadays.

Glazes are functionally abrasiveLESS. They are designed to enrich paint and fill defects.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information