Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new audi TT.

When i took delivery from dealership I told them not to do a pre-delivery valet as I wanted to do it all myself and avoid swirls from careless work.

But.....I have two probs

1. I can`t seem to get windscreen clean. After cleaning inside and out of windshield with regular auto glass cleaner, I still had a sort of rain drop/dribble/grubby pattern visible and couldn`t work out what surface it was on, interior or exterior. Maybe both?. So, used autoglym glass polish, and that seemed to do the trick. But today, it rained and winshield stemed up inside revealing the same pattern of grubbiness. Again, I cant suss out if its inside or outside as both feel smooth to the touch. Any ideas, tipe etc etc. Maybe I just need to polish the windshield 2 or 3 times? :nixweiss

2. Having applied rainex, I`m now getting bad wiper judder. Why? I applied this from new on my last TT which was exactly the same 2003 model (first car replaced as it was a lemon) and never had any probs whatsoever. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your on-going assistance. Thanks to adice I got here the paintwork is beautifully finished, and this is really bugging me.

One last question, I bought rainex anti-fog for interior if windows as TTs are prone to missty windows. Is this stuff any good? . Doesn`t that leave streaks? Any application tips?

Thanks again. Cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you see the marks before you applied the RainX? If not I would remove it by using some lighter fluid (taking all precautions) on the exterior glass. Try the Autoglym again rubbing firmly and use a slightly damp MF cloth to buff, followed by a dry MF cloth.

You might also get this kind of result from using to much glass cleaner on the interior. A small amount should do the entire glass but concentrate on the buffing.

I tried the anti-fog a few years ago and it seemed to do very little but it might be worth doing a search on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same prob a few cars ago. I called the company (Rain-X) and they said to do one of 2 things: either increase the tension on the wiper baldes or if I wanted to remove the Rain-X then use Bartender`s Friend, similar to BonAmi.

I chose to remove the Rain-X. It took a couple of applications and the chatter was gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Strange. I am a regular Rain-X user, and have never had chatter problems. What kind of condition are the wiper blades themselves in? If you don`t know if they`re new or not, replace them. I love Rain-X, and anytime I`ve had a problem with it it was usually the blades. Refills are so cheap why not keep fresh ones in there? They clean better anyhow. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get some 303 Wiper Treatment for your blades. I get chatter on my windshield with RainX too, but I have since switched to using VM or RMG on my glass, and treat my blades with 303 WT every few weeks. I applied VM to some of my glass and RMG to other areas today, so I can tell which one leaves a cleaner area on the windshield during the rain, which beads better, which lasts longer, etc...

But RMG and VM have both been very good for windshields for me. I do it to every customer`s car, and I even show them how well their windshield wipers work afterward
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, dumb question now.

What are RMG and VM please?

The wipers are new.

Yes, the water pattern/marks were there before I did anything to windows. I stopped the dealership doing the pre-delivery valet, so no treatment on them at all before I got hands on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Red Machine Glaze. Sounds like you may be in the UK so don`t know if those are available where you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamV6

2. Having applied rainex, I`m now getting bad wiper judder. Why?

I stopped using it for the very same reason. Unless I kept reapplying the product about once a week, I would end up getting wiper judder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clean the blades really well, because there might be some transport coating residue or similar. AIO works beautifully on windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before a Rain X application I clean the window with #0000 steel wool and glass cleaner. I treat the blades with 303. Then I apply the RainX.

I only need to use the #0000 once to get the windows squeeky clean befroe the Rain X (obviously not every week). Maybe 2 or 3 times a year I`ll use the steel wool cleaning method to strip down and start fresh.

This helps prevent the wipers from skipping about.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had good results using Poorboy`s S&G on the glass & wiping the wiperblades with S&G to remove oxidation & dirt. Cleaning the blades themselves keeps them pliable & ready to clean on every pass across the windshield.

Wipers operate quietly & normally ... when they`re needed, otherwise water sheets off same as using Rain-X or similar products.
    "Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they`re open"

2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe Satin Silver Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    What method does everyone use to apply the rainX. I was looking for a thread that was posted some time ago and was unable to find it, so I thought I would dig this one back-up.

I IGd my glass and then applied the rainX via soft cloth. I then removed what hazed product I could using a MF. I followed witha light mist of S&G to remove the rest of the residue. I have not yet been able to test this method of application, but I hope the infamous haze does not reappear and I hope the wipers don`t chatter!

JJ
    Umm! BLACK

Post Thanks / Like
    From the description of your windshield, I`d say it`s not actually that clean. A non-abrasive cleansing powder like bon-ami and some elbowgrease will give you a very surprisingly clean windshield. As for glass cleaner chemicals, the NXT glass cleaner works remarkably well.

But even with all that, I always have problems with Rain-x. Smears horribly if you use the wiper, and tends to judder.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the wiper chatter post Rain-X is from applying too much product. I have tried VM on my windows and got smearing when using the wipers. Some with 303 wiper treatment. I`m obviously doing something wrong. How do those who are sucessful with these products apply them?

Post Thanks / Like
    To deep clean the windshield you can try using a solvent type cleaner: a tar remover like tarminaotr for example, let it dwell, don`t wipe it. The spray it with an APC, in my case, I used Meg`s APC. Wipe the windshield. The idea behind this is whatever the solvent based cleaner didn`t get, the APC did.

I tried this tip and it made the family beater car`s windshield the cleanest I`ve seen in a long time. I also attribute this to polishing it via rotary as well but I don`t see the need for this with a new car.

Apply Rain X sparingly. When I had it, during a wash session, I used to clean the windows first, apply it, leave it be and wash the car. Upon drying the glass, came out just fine, free of any smears.

Also make it a habit to occasionally clean your wiper blades. A little isopropyl alcohol with a cotton cloth or "grunge work" MF does the trick.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information