Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in a body shop where compound was used almost always to start, so typically swirls and water spots were gone from the beginning. Now that I am focusing on details, I am confused on the difference in polishes and swirl removers. Is a polish more aggressive than a swirk remover? I have a black `03 Tacoma to do next week that has swirls and medium water spots on the hood and roof. Should I use both or just one? The paint is in pretty good shape otherwise. Would rather stay away from compounds unless absolutely necessary since each time it is used, it is removing a small amount of the clear.

(By the way, the products I am considering are 3MFI & Meg 9)

Thanks!

VOL1816

Post Thanks / Like
    The #9 is a very mild polish which contains fillers. I guess part of the problem is the various uses of the word polish. To my mind #9 is nearer to a glaze than a (abrasive) polish. Not that there is anything wrong with #9 but I would start with something a little stronger for swirls

Post Thanks / Like
    join the fun in trying to determine the difference between a polish, glaze and swirl mark remover....depends on who you talk to, and what manufacturer of product your using....everyone has its/their own definitions!!!!

whats 3MFI.... Finesse it `what`...

from your description of your tacoma,, i`d try the 3M MG, or the RCFC, or if ya got #83 before the #9.

cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, unfortunately you can`t really go by the name of the product. *GENERALLY*, I`d say that SMR`s are more likely than not to contain fillers and to have minimal cutting/correcting ability, but I hate to even generalize that much.

It`s really best to consider the characteristics of the specific products of interest.

The FI-II is is an OK product and the #9 might be an OK follow up for use afterwards, even though it`s *awfully* mild.

But I`d go with 3M PI-III RC (05933) then PI-III MG (05937). Don`t worry about the names of the products, these two are what I`d use 90% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    They`re just names. It depends on what the company decides to name it.

I`ve always through of polishes and swirl removers as the same thing. Start with a compound and then jump to a swirl remover/polish to get rid of the swirls from compounding and then wax.

Even a polish is going to remove a small amount of clear every time you use it but it`s not a lot. You can always try a product that just fills but I find they usually don`t work well and don`t last long especially since we`re coming into summer now.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Thread Information