Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been reading about those grit guards for the rinse buckets. however, i went to target today and saw that they had a wash bucket that actually comes with one. I checked out the Grit guard to see if it has something special. it was just a piecce of plastic that is shaped with many points and holes.

i thought that Grit guards came with sometype of Chemical on it that attracts dirts molecules to the bottom. But i all i saw was a piece of plastic to rub your mit on.

Can someone please calrify what and how Grit guard works and if it has any special chemicals on it. Thanx a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope no chemicals added, just a grid that keeps the dirt from mixing in your wash soultion.
    2003.5 Desert Platinum Infiniti G35 Sedan

Biweekly Routine---Wash: Foam gun + NXT Wash (Microfibers), then topped with #16 or OCW.

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion is that it is a gimmick, though plenty use it and think highly of it. Every single time I wash, the rinse bucket has the dirt suspended in the water. Very rarely does it fall to the bottom and the mitt almost always floats near the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    here`s some info if anyone wants one..... www.gritguard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If it were such a gimmick, wouldn`t it simply be false advertising? It HAS to be somewhat functional...

Post Thanks / Like
    i use two buckets, after i wipe down a dirty area, i take and rub my hand against my wash mitt in the rinse bucket, it seems to work well

Post Thanks / Like
    TW, maybe you have different dirt down in HH, but for me, although there is some dirt that stays in suspension, there is always some "grit" (usually quite a bit) that sinks to the bottom. The other thing is the ability to actually rub your wash mitt/pad/whatever against the Grit Guard in the bottom of the bucket to "clean" it.

Obviously it`s up to each of you if a Grit Guard is worth it (and some have mentioned that they have made their own home-made variant), but it`s certainly not a gimmick. The cheapest place I have seen is US Plastics, and I bought a 3 gallon bucket to use it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently picked up a Grit Guard and I really love it. In the past I made one myself out of a window diffuser at Home Depot. I am really glad I picked one up. Definitely does the job and is reasonably priced.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t understand the point of the gritguard either. I use two buckets(4gal) and two mitts also, but one for each side with the suds in, no separate rinse bucket. I get my car very clean before i wash it with the mitts, using a pressure washer and/or pre soak it. I never have any grit in the water, the water usually looks very clean from when i start till i`m finnished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whenever I finish washing/drying my car, I always dump the rinse bucket out and find that there is a large concentration of dirt at the bottom. Also, I find that when I rinse out my mitt, it works better to swish it around side to side, rather than vertically. If the entire bucket of water begins to move around the bucket horizontally, the dirt from the bottom will stay at the bottom. If you create any vertical currents, some of the dirt could lift up toward your mitt.

All in all, I think the GritGuard is worth it. I don`t use it to wipe my MF mitt across though. The ExcelDetail MF mitt I use gets very clean just from a quick swishing in the top of the rinse bucket.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Thread Information