Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since this topic was brought up recently I decided to make a dedicated thread for us to talk about this. How many people have experienced this problem and why do you thinks this happens? I for one have never had this problem. I`m curious why some have the problem and some don`t.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to disagree with the concept, sorry. If anything, WAUD will add to sheeting/beading, making for less to absorb.

It has to be what folks are washing with, or water conditions, washing methods, or lack of using a sheeting method when rinsing.....
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iâ€â„¢d also have to say it the washing / rinsing method being used, if this was happening to all users Iâ€â„¢d say the fault was with the towel(s).

Pre-soak the towels in a hot (120oF) water solution with detergent and then rinse in clean warm water

Washing (120oF)- add 1-2 ounces of Micro-Restore to a standard size (8 gallon) load, for larger loads or heavily soiled laundry, add 3-6 ounces. As a pre-spotter: dilute 1 part concentrates with 3 parts water, apply to stain and launder as usual.

Rinsing(120oF)- add a teaspoon per towel distilled white vinegar, the vinegar doesn`t coat the fibres but instead works to eliminate residue. Vinegar (Acetic acid, pH=2) works well in the rinse cycle to ensure the individual fibres donâ€â„¢t matt together.

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi...

Here is a product description on Eagle One`s Wax As You Dry product.

"Now there is a much easier way to wax your vehicle. Wax As-U-Dry is specifically designed to wax your car as you dry it. A special blend of water-reactive polymers and waxes provides that just hand-waxed look in one simple spray-on formula that saves you time and effort."

The key word here to focus on is "wax". The wax in WAUD will get on the waffle weave towel making it less absorbent. The differences among people who do and who don`t experience this phenomenon really depends on the cleaning and maintenance of their micro fiber towels.

With Aloha,

Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t say it`s the washing since my other one that hasn`t had any WAUD use absorbs like new.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PakShak

The wax in WAUD will get on the waffle weave towel making it less absorbent. The differences among people who do and who don`t experience this phenomenon really depends on the cleaning and maintenance of their micro fiber towels.

With Aloha,

Ranney

How`s this different from using a detailing microfiber towel to remove wax? I`ve never heard of someone saying their detailing microfiber absorbs less after using products like P21S, S100, carnauba moose wax, etc..... I`m not debating you, I`m just asking.

For what it`s worth I`ve been using waud for about a year and never experienced any loss in my waffles being able to absorb. Guess what? My washing routine is very basic also. I use hot tap water using All detergent. After the first wash cycle is done, I will go downstairs and put it through another wash cycle just to be sure the towels are free of dirt or whatever. Then I will usually run it through the rinse cycle about 2-3 times. I don`t use vinegar either in the final rinse cycle.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the reason why I personally delegate/separate my micro fiber towels depending on use. I wouldn`t use my micro fiber towels that I have used to remove wax like P21S, S100, carnauba moose wax, etc...with a quick detail spray.

Also, I have to disagree your washing routine is not basic. Most people like myself put their towels through one wash cycle and possible 1 to 2 rinse cycles. Also, I do not use hot water. The temperature of the water could also be a factor. So as you can see there are variations/factors when it comes down to cleaning and maintenance of waffle weave or regular detailing micro fiber towels.

How do you dry your micro fiber towels (detailing or waffle weaves)? Do you line dry them or put them in the dryer?

IMHO...Maybe you should try putting your waffle weave towel through one warm wash cycle and one rinse cycle and see if you notice a difference. This is the norm or basic routine.

With Aloha,

Ranney

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PakShak

How do you dry your micro fiber towels (detailing or waffle weaves)? Do you line dry them or put them in the dryer?

With Aloha,

Ranney

I will put them in the dryer for about 15-20 minutes just until they`re 100% dry, then line dry.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension of the fibre and will better dislodge wax and other particles. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil

I only use a cold water wash for `delicate` items like linen, silk, cotton, and etc. but then each to there own, whatevr works for you...

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension of the fibre and will better dislodge wax and other particles. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil

I only use a cold water wash for `delicate` items like linen, silk, cotton, and etc. but then each to there own, whatevr works for you...

JonM

By hot water I mean water that`s 120 degrees, which is what my water heater is set at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my experience with WAUD and WWMF.

When I first started using WAUD I dedicated a WW for its use. This towel was appromimately 2 months old and perfromed great. I would wash my car as normal, rinse with a sheet of water, spray WAUD on a panel at a time, and wipe clean. Afterwards the towel would be washed by itself in warm water with a small amount of tide. I double rinsed it and dried on low.

This worked fine until about the 10th use. At this time the towel began to stop absorbing and only "pushed" the water around on the paint. I tried to wash it again with vinegar in the rinse cycle to no avail. I have several of the SAME WW`s that I purchased at the same time that are still working like new. I then duplicated these results using a blue microtex MF drying towel from Wal-mart. It did take less uses with WAUD to ruin the towel, but it will not absorb water any longer. With either towel if you place them under a running faucet, they will repel water.

I love WAUD, but not at the expense of my towels.

For those of you who have NOT had problems. What is your cleaning regimen for your towels? Do you use a dedicated towel with WAUD? How many times have you used the towel with WAUD?

FWIW, The WW was the gray super soft from premium auto care. The WAUD was purchased when it first came out(within the first month).

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t had a problem with WAUD clogging my MF`s, but when I was using it I tended to use a regular MF rather than a WW.

In another thread someone asked if WAUD contained a carnauba wax, so I looked at the back of my gallon container and saw the following: Petroleum Distillates, Propylene Glycol, Polydimethyl Siloxane (Mixture), and water..... no mention of a carnauba.

FWIW, rubbing WAUD between my fingers left much more of a slick residue than Poorboy`s S&G, ClearKote`s Quik Shine, and 4* UGE (three other QD`s I had quick access to). I guess the increased amounts of silicones (or whatever is making it slicker) in WAUD could clog up a MF over time, but I would think proper washing with a presoak would clear that up. If that failed then I have read that boiling them for 10 minutes will do the trick.

I did not use a dedicated MF for WAUD and my wash routine is to presoak my dirtier MF`s (not one used for WAUD), wash with Micro-Restore (warm water), and double rinse. The only MF`s I tend to segregate are those used for glass.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Today my routine consisted of throwing every dirty MW and WW i had, (after about a week of sitting in a closed bucket) in the wash, threw in some cheap detergent and set to prewash. Then after that cycle, I ran them with some Charlies on the normal hot/white setting. They came out fine. I dont expect to remove all the stains, they still perform just fine even with the stains. Threw them in the dryer on hot, until they were nearly dry. I prefer to remove them while still somewhat moist. I dont like to cook them in the dryer.

I normally wont prewash them, but being as they were sitting in a gritguard bucket for a week, i felt they should get a little extra attention....

Ive never really babied MF`s, i treat them like a pair of Levis! I have some ive used for over two yrs now, they still perform just fine.....

I guess im a little less critical then most?!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

...For those of you who have NOT had problems. What is your cleaning regimen for your towels? Do you use a dedicated towel with WAUD? How many times have you used the towel with WAUD?

1) Washing regimen is basically warm water wash, single rinse with vinegar. Soap products used:: Purex liquid, MicroRestore, Charlie`s Soap. Dried on low heat to almost dry.

2) No dedicated towel. Towels used w/WAUD:

Autopia`s - Sonus Der Wunder, Ultimate Detailing Towel (older gray version)

Excel`s - Pacific Blue (and maybe the Sunset Gold - can`t remember)

MicroTex - Blue Drying towel (non WW)

3) I don`t know how many times each towel was used, but I have not used an entire bottle of WAUD yet (some might say I have too many QDs, I beg to differ )

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

...Ive never really babied MF`s, i treat them like a pair of Levis!

LOL - I like that :up , but you`ve got to include Wranglers

Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

I have some ive used for over two yrs now, they still perform just fine.....

I have some NeatItems towels that are around 4 years of age, and some CMAs that are 3 yo, various vendors whose towels are 2 years old or more. Granted I have quite a number of towels in rotation. I have only actually worn out one towel, and it isn`t worn completely out, but does have a small hole and is a bit on the thin side. Works just fine under the hood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information