Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    After doing a few friends car, I decided that using the Poorboys SSR lineup was too time consuming as well and pricey to get the look I want. SSR 2.5 did not impress me much either.

I have seen a few posts about Megs #80 Speed Glaze and I hear a lot about how its perfect for customer cars, as its abrasive enough to get rid of a lot of defects, yet not cause marring so you can go straight to your LSP. I was wondering how do you feel about this product and exactly what are its limitations?

Would you suggest using this on customer cars as a 1 step process?

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent product leaves surfaces ready for LSP, but you may opt for a glaze to add to its enrichment. I find it the perfect type of product for the majority of tasks needed while performing details. Its probably my most used product. Very easy to use, no oily leftovers, and leaves a really nice finish. I usually run the PC at 3-4 to apply, 4-5 for even distribution, then 6 to work the product. I think you ask yourself why you havent tried it earlier....It replaced my SSR 2.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Patrick. I believe Im going to have to pick some up on my next order from wherever. I really want something that is going to give me a nice look without really having to do a 2-3 step process. Not to mention the price difference. I believe when I did my calculations it was like about 75 cent per ounce for the SSR and about 50 cent per ounce on the Speed Glaze. Use it on a lot of cars and it will help to save.

Patrick: how much longer do I have to wait? hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    I used it for the first time last weekend and I`m very impressed. It has a much smoother fade to fine than #83. I can`t speak of it in comparison to the SSRs, but it`s "cut" curve is strong at first, then a gradual curve to nothing. #83 is almost linear, which makes it hard to control toward the end; if you stop too soon or too late, it leaves marring.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I can agree with price on Poorboy`s compared to others. I experienced nice results with the SSR line. Have not used #80 either. Interested to hear comments to initial questions above. Also, how does #80 compare to HT-61 Light Cut? I was under the impression that they were similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shaw

I can agree with price on Poorboy`s compared to others. I experienced nice results with the SSR line. Have not used #80 either. Interested to hear comments to initial questions above. Also, how does #80 compare to HT-61 Light Cut? I was under the impression that they were similar.

IMO, they are very close in terms of cut. The #80 will leave a better finish IMO, both are easy to work with. I do seem to have to clean/switch pads with the LC, but do not have that problem with #80.

#80 is also my most used polish. I use it on about 80% of the details that I do. I started buying #80 by the gallon years ago and have never stopped, it is a VERy good product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you guys been able to find it locally? IE: Autozone, Advanced Auto or just online vendors?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like #80 also, but it is limited in the amount or severity of defects it will remove. It also works much faster than DACP, so when it changes color to clear (or sometimes pink) itâ€â„¢s pretty much ready to buff off.

I canâ€â„¢t compare it to the SSRâ€â„¢s since I havenâ€â„¢t used them yet, but one reason I picked them up was their ability to work in the sun. Never hurts to have an extra line or two of polishes around just-in-case.

I have been able to buy it locally at a CarQuest that carries auto paint and supplies. If you go to the Meg`s site you can search for locations. Just change the search to the pro line or you`ll get every Wal-Mart and Target in your area listed:

http://www.meguiars.com/DealerLocato...r_template.cfm
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe when I did my calculations it was like about 75 cent per ounce for the SSR and about 50 cent per ounce on the Speed Glaze.

I`m not sure where this calculation comes from. Even direct from Megs, #80 is $28 a gallon which is under 22 cents an ounce plus some fraction for shipping. I guess it makes sense if you buy in quart sizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt mean buying it in a gallon. These prices are from PAC:

32 oz. bottle of #80 = 16.95

16 oz. bottle of SSR = 11.95

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Yep, should have mentioned that in my post. Anything other than mild to moderate swirls/defects and you should have something heavier on hand.

I too keep poorboy`s SSR`s on hand just in case I am detailing in full sun.

IMO, this about the limits of #80.

Before:

After, no wax:

Finished full view. #80 with PC and meguiars polishing pad, LS

One more, notice the date on the drive out, I detailed it on

10-9.

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the date of the driveout? I cant find it.

That is very nice looking. The 80 looks impressive! I actually didnt think it was capable of that. The majority of cars look like that, and if 80 is abrasive enough to remove that AND leave it nice and clean with no marring I have to pick some up.

Now you used a polishing pad correct?

Hey Patrick....is the Megs polishing pad equavilent to the green light cutting pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    You should also be able to find it at local body shop supply-type places. You can try searching something like Yahoo yellow pages for "body shop supply" or something similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, is #80 a filler then, and would menzerna IP be an equal equivalent ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CutNAction

What was the date of the driveout? I cant find it.

That is very nice looking. The 80 looks impressive! I actually didnt think it was capable of that. The majority of cars look like that, and if 80 is abrasive enough to remove that AND leave it nice and clean with no marring I have to pick some up.

Now you used a polishing pad correct?

Hey Patrick....is the Megs polishing pad equavilent to the green light cutting pad?

Sorry, the car was purchased on 10-7, nice dealer prep, huh?

Yeah, I only use polishing pads with the PC. I will use a cutting pad, but only on "lost causes."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information