Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about trying some new polish, as this is what will really make the over all finish look it`s best. I currently used DACP and #80, I am very satisfied with both, and especially #80, they work well. I want to try others to compare them to this combo. Let me know if the two steps are mismatched or what combo`s to post.

How do the following polishes compare to DACP/#80?

(State if you use PC or Rotary for use.) I plan on using PC

1. DACP/#80?

2. SSR2.5/SSR1?

3. IP/FPII?

4. PI-III RC/ PI-III MG?

I am interested in trying some more polishes. Being a beginner, I now see the difference that polishing makes, and I know it`s a very important factor in over all appearance. Glazes Sealants and waxs only enhance this polishing step, without a nice and polished finish, your not giving the glazes, Sealants and waxes your using a fair shot.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like SSR2.5 on a cutting or polishing pad on my PC.

It really seems to get the job done for me, and I`ve been able to get away with SSR2.5 on a polishing pad then straight to lsp without an intermediate step. SSR2.5/SSR1 is a popular combo even though i follow it up with VM. I`ve read lots of good things about the other combos too, its just all my experience is with SSR2.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheapshot- Can`t be of too much help as I only use one of the combos you listed (#4, the 3M one). Works great for me and I use it on vehicles I`m gonna use sealant on.

I found DACP/#83 to be, uhm, insufficiently user-friendly for my taste. #80 is my favorite Meg`s polish, but I don`t use it all that often. It`s good for when you`re only doing one polishing step. Combining it with the #83 should work fine if you like the #83.

Haven`t tried PoorBoy`s stuff at all.

Only use Menzerna FP, never tried the IP.

Another one you might try is the 1Z trio- Ultra/Extra, Paint Polish, Metallic Polish. I like this at least as much as the 3M stuff. I use it on vehicles I`m gonna wax, or, with the Pro version of MP, on the S8, which gets UPP as its LSP.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the Menzerna polishes exclusively for the last year. They work best when you start with the Power Gloss or the Intensive and then finish up with the Final Polish. I like these polishes because they have no fillers. After polishing, wipe down with 50/50 alcohol and water. Then stand back and look for any swirls or spots that you missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by cheapshot

..........How do the following polishes compare to DACP/#80?

(State if you use PC or Rotary for use.) I plan on using PC

1. DACP/#80?

2. SSR2.5/SSR1?

3. IP/FPII?

4. PI-III RC/ PI-III MG?

I use combo #1 (83 & 80) and combo #4 (3M RC & MG), and I use them mainly with a PC.

Although both work well for me, if I could only have one combo it would be the 3M.

I do plan on getting the SSR2.5/1 to try in the sun, I`ve read a lot of good things about Poorboy`s and also the 1Z line.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    what would be the comparison in the 1Z line to DACP/#80? So I could post it up top i Forget how popular the 1Z polishes are.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had good luck with DACP and SSR2.5
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I love SSR 2.5. It is easy to use and it wipes right off. SSR 1 is great as a light polish or to remove marring caused by more abrasive polishing.
    2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6
    Lunar Mist Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    I sometimes get a little trouble with Removing DACP, a little squirt of QD and a swipe or two with MF usually does the trick. Also if I used a cleaner like AIO after DACP, I`m sure it would clean up very well. From my experience with DACP it has a nice bite and cleans very well. #80 has just enough abrasiveness and finishes off like nothing I have ever used before! very wet and glossy looking but still crystal clear. I am more satisfied with #80, but both are good polishes. I sometimes think that DACP disappoints me because I expect to much from DACP and PC. I`m Probably trying to polish something out that would give a rotary a nice time. I`m just learning and trying to get a feel for paint hardness, knowing how bad the defects are, and if the PC will even remove them. This is were were it could be frustrating for me because I have no rotary experience and can`t find anywhere that teaches this. I know i could learn on my own, But I feel some instruction and hands on in front of a professional would help tremendously.

Sorry for my long story like posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    cheapshot, here`s a picture of an XK150 project I just finished.

The tape line in the middle of the bonnet is the state of the paint before polishing, as is the quarter panel at the bottom of the picture (BTW, thats not oxidation, that`s horrendous swirls and compound scouring!)

On the left I used Menzerna IP/FP, and on the right #83/#9 - I wanted to use #80 but didn`t have any so compromised with #9; not ideal.

Anyway, as you can see the Menzerna twins produced outstanding results...and best of all, no fillers! WYSIWYG!

I did the rest of the car with the Menzerna duo and the owner was gobsmacked!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Poorboy`s Pro Polish as a first step lately. It does a good job cleaning paint, then I follow with a Meg`s 80 series (usually #80), or another PB`s if working in the sun.

I rarely use DACP these days. PP and #80 can take care of 90% of the vehicles I detail.
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    Alfisti Nice work!, I DACP`d then I tried #80 and #9 in different sections. #80 left the finish so much nicer looking. Acually your pics above look pretty close to the results i got with #9 and #80. The left being #80 and the right being #9

Did you use pc? what pad/products did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it`s worth, I spent sometime with Brad (moderator) learning how to get rid of the swirls and scratches on my car.

In our experimentation on my green-black LS400, the best abrasive was 3MPI-IIIRC followed by DACP. 1z Ultra didn`t do as well for me. Actually, except for some bad scratches, DACP was quite fine most of the time. Just a little slower than the 3M.

#80 was the best followup, although #9 was adequate. VM was nice but too light to take care of marring left by the DACP and 3PI-III RC.

This weekend I got a lot more done by using the Meg`s red cutting pad and 3PI-III RC with a PC. Followed with #9 then UPP. I may get some 3M PI MG to try, but it`s quite pricey. May just stick with #9 or #80.

Anyone know how #82 works for removing marring and as a final polish before LSP?

Post Thanks / Like
    NHBFAN, Does PP do any swirl or scratch removal? or is it just a cleaner used before waxing or sealing? I have to agree with finishing with #80. I have not done any cars yet that #80 alone can tackle, (but I see lots of them everyday) the three car I have learned on were 7-10 years old, I only tried #80 on two thought, and used DACP. Because I did not have the product when I did my 94 Integra, Instead I used 3m SMR, then AIO and learn very quickly how well AIO cleans! as it striped the fillers with no problems what so ever. leaving me to see that some light swirls were still there :scared , part of the learning process I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by cheapshot

NHBFAN, Does PP do any swirl or scratch removal? or is it just a cleaner used before waxing or sealing? ... AIO cleans! as it striped the fillers with no problems what so ever. leaving me to see that some light swirls were still there

Hope NHBFAN doesn`t mind my answering- The PP *does* remove marring through mechanical abrasion. It seems a bit milder than DACP. But PP leaves wax behind, so the "AIO uncovering leftover marring" thing can happen.

EDIT: OOPS, the above pertains to 1Z Paint Polish, not Pro Polish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information