Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    The wife tells me she wants to buy me a pressure washer for X-mass and I was hoping to get some advice on where to steer her....the only thing I am fairly certain of os that I want gas (Honda) powered, other than that, I dont know jack.

This will live in my garage and be all purpose (cars, patio, driveway, hell, I might even get silly and wash the dog with it if he doesnt start behaving)

Thanks in advance for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic tool. I got my Pressure washer at Lowes. ~2500psi max and does everything I need it for. Masonry, driveway, patio, hot tub and vehicles. Get one with wheels and steer away from those electric ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a 3000 PSI one that my dad got from his work, it lifted a brick out of the sidewalk.
    Parents: 2000 Buick Regal GSX.1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT,2003 Infiniti FX45, 21` Bayliner Cruiser

Me: I own a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am wanting to more about them as well. are there certain kinds of pump that are beter than others i think i remember hearing there is different kinds of pumps
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like
    Northern tool sells a zillion different models. ( different psi, different brands of engines, even some with hot water tanks) If you get one be cautious how you use it. I cringe when I see a novice person blasting their house to clean it. It will blast the paint right off, knock the caulk joints loose, remove putty off of the nail heads and all sorts of bad things. Pros usually use Jomax and let the chemical reaction do all of the work rather rather than water pressure. A pressure washer is necessary to reach the high areas of a two story house.

If you order the Northern Tool catalog be prepared to drool a lot, they have a lot of neat tools and stuff that you will want.

http://www.northerntool.com/pressurewashers/

Post Thanks / Like
    so what are you saying, using a 2500 PSI pressure washer at cose range to clean my 8 mo old labrador is not a great idea?

All kidding aside, I wnat one for gp around the house stuff...cleanign the garge floor, driveway, lawnmover and the slime the forms on my pools waterfall...the dog will just be a bonus

Post Thanks / Like
    The key to getting a usable one is how much water volumn does it put out? Gallons per Minute, or GPM. A small GPM will clean an area the size of a quarter and a larger GPM will clean an area the size of large paintbrush. Ok, these are broad/vague examples, but you get the idea. Most consumer pressure washers are rated by "cleaning power." Simply, just multiplying the PSI times the GPM. For example, 2500 PSI x 3 GPM = 7500 cleaning power. But also notice that 2.5 GPM x 3000 PSI will also = 7500 CP. You will definitly get more use out of the one with the larger GPM. 2000/2500 is more than you will need. Shop untill you fine one that has closer to 3.0 GPM. The more the better. You can tell as they will generally run around $350 and then jump to about $650. You probably want one right at the price break. Either just below or just above it. I think mine is about 2.9 GPM and I wouldn`t want any less. It has the ability to turn the pressure down which I do when working on the car.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Sears Carry Clean.

Does everything I ask of it...stores on a shelf or under a bench...

Stay away from Electric units (IMHO) I`ve had 2 and was not happy with either.

Mine is not heavy duty use so the Briggs motor on the Sears unit is fine. If you`re useage will be big time think Honda motor.

Peter..in Denver

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter what power washer you buy make sure that it has a honda motor. The one I use is a 2600 PSI and it works great and starts on the first pull. I had a craftsman before and you might have to pull the start cord 10-12 times.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have a Craftsman gas unit that was an absolute pain in the butt. It just wasn`t built or designed well, and finally about a month ago, my wish came true and the pump burst while starting a job at my ex-girl`s Mother`s home. I went out and bought an electric Karcher unit. Much less agg than the gas one, it only runs when you pull the trigger.

All that said, I`d be just as happy without one. Even when washing my car trailer, by the time you get the pressure washer set up...you could be done.

I`d agree with the Honda motor too.

Post Thanks / Like
    My unit has a B&S engine and it starts just fine. I got it from Home Depot. It is not the Excell that they now carry. I forgot the brand but it sure has been a good one.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If one gets serious about this, be sure to check out the "Hotsy" and "Landa" brands, gas or electric. Professional grade.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure it has a

thermal pump protector

to prevent the build up

of excessive pressures

or heat. This happens when the pump is dead-heading so it`s a good feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the feedback...i am loking at home depot and lowes as i trust the brans they carry and they stand behind what they sell...I am partial to a honda motor due to the reliabilty of the honda lawnmowers and snothrowers I have owned (no need for the latter in AZ)

I assume this is one of tghose things that I will use the hell out of once I own as I have already found a million uses for it

Post Thanks / Like
    Karcher with the Honda engine is available at Costco. Get the cheapest one with the Honda that they have. It will do anything you ask of it short of daily commercial use.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information