Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Xylene?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was reading up on a few things, and I came across this: http://www.autoint.com/highmagnclctfail.htm

Now, I went and looked at my 3M Adhesive Remover, and sure enough it contains xylene.

I looked at the description and it said for use on automotive painted surfaces to remove adhesives and foreign material from paint.

So isn`t that a little conflicting? I know that 3M knows their stuff when it comes to paint, so why would they put out this product if according to autoint`s website it is bad for the clear coat?

I haven`t really seen a discussion about this on here before, just seeing what you all think.

- Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm- that is interesting, now I`ll have to go check my stuff.

Thanks
    Mine is the shiny one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, does the 3M tar remover say how much xylene it contains? Maybe it`s in such small amounts that it won`t do much damage.

Does the MSDS say anything about % xylene? Sometimes they do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... anyone else care to comment?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am suprised this hasn`t garnered more interest seeing the impact it could have with people wiping the clear & wheels down with all kinds of stuff to remove different contaminants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Auto International is in the business of selling detailing supplies and products... if they can develop a tactic to help move their own product....

Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand that, but no where there are they pushing their New Car Prep.

So are you saying that their information is false?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by adg44

I can understand that, but no where there are they pushing their New Car Prep.

So are you saying that their information is false?

adg44 .. why don`t you post the piece of information that generated this Xylene question .. This piece of information in no way promotes someones product but informs the potential user of possible concequences. I read the original posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by geekysteve

Auto International is in the business of selling detailing supplies and products... if they can develop a tactic to help move their own product....

Gotta` side with Steve on this one.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate your guys` input, but you have not given any facts to offset their information.

Is there any hard evidence that says xylene is not bad for your paint and won`t damage the resin system in the clear?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure if Xylene will harm the paint surface BUT it is some pretty nasty stuff otherwise. It can be inhaled as you pump gas in your car and is present in many types of solvents.

If you are unsure about it and need a solvent try a citrus based solvent.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Xylene is a solvent, and is a constituent in paint strippers. As such, it is quite capable of damaging or even destroying and removing paint from surfaces. However, its ability to do this are limited by the concentration of xylene, and the length of time it is allowed to sit on the paint.

There is no one simple single answer as to when and how much paint damage will occur. A good paint will not be phased by being wiped with a bug and tar remover. Rattle can enamel can be stripped quickly by straight xylene and a rag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by foxtrapper

Xylene is a solvent, and is a constituent in paint strippers. As such, it is quite capable of damaging or even destroying and removing paint from surfaces. However, its ability to do this are limited by the concentration of xylene, and the length of time it is allowed to sit on the paint.

There is no one simple single answer as to when and how much paint damage will occur. A good paint will not be phased by being wiped with a bug and tar remover. Rattle can enamel can be stripped quickly by straight xylene and a rag.

Xylene has very little effect as a paint stripper for modern day automotive paints. If it`s in a paint stripper it is there to keep the material wet longer so that the paint can be removed. Common stripping solvents are Methylene Chloride (MEC) or N Methyl Pyrolimine (NMP). The idea for a stripper is to get the paint to lift and then be able to wipe it away before it dries and adheres itself back on the surface. The active ingredients I mentioned above would dry to fast if it didn`t have slower evaporating solvents like Xylene in it. Xylene is a mildly aggressive solvent and shouldn`t cause any lifting with a properly painted modern automobile. I`ve been working and selling for a chemical distributor for 27 years and we purchase Xylene by the rail car. MEK and Acetone are much more aggressive solvents than Xylene.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Qestion: Does it have the same effect with water based paints as it does oil based?

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on what kind of resins and hardeners that are used in the water based or oil based paints. In any type of paint situation, it`s always wise to test in an inconspicuous area to make sure there are no adverse afects from any product that is being used, especially when dealing with solvents.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information