Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I`ve tried two different trim restoration products, mother`s black to back and meg`s ultimate black on the cowling below the windshield on my 2005 M3. I washed the trim with water in between the applications. Almost instantly each product started to fade. After each application, spotting took place. Once, due to overspray of a different product, 2nd due to a small amount of snow falling on car. Here`s a pic.

After each failed application, I washed the trim and the trim returned to it`s monochromatic yet faded appearance. Which honestly looks better then the blotchy photo above.

After reading the forum, I am considering using Griot`s rubber prep followed by Ultima tire and trim.

Any thoughts?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The products cited are use for dressing not renovation.

Vinyl Renovation

Faded vinyl and rubber has to be the most difficult to restore; they resist most restoration attempts as most products either wash away or fade. Vinyl moulding on modern cars and SUVs that present the ultimate challenge, re-dying can be both time consuming and expensive.

To renovate and to accomplish long lasting renovation repairs on ultra violet (UV) faded, scuffed, or scratched black exterior trim, moulding, mirror covers, door handles, etc. without replacement or repainting This system is long lasting and can be applied without the use of specialized tools, these products are not dressings that will wash off after a short period but rather is an actual dye that can last from 6 - 12 months.

Vinyl is only semi- porous, since it cannot readily absorb a dressing or protection; the products remain vulnerable to the elements. Water- based polymer products however, form a molecular bond and provide a longer lasting matte finish, similar to the OEM.

Solvent-based dressings have more shine; they will permeate the surface due to its solvent content, but can be removed with detergents and pressure washers. Vinyl and rubber restoration products contain dyes that can stain the paint surface, so they should be removed before they are allowed to dry.

Clean surfaces using Iz einszett `Plastik-Reiniger` an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for urethane covered upholstery and vinyl trim, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane covered automotive upholstery and vinyl; this product is biodegradable and formalin-free

Exterior Trim

ValuGuard Exterior Trim Repair Kit (ETR) - solves the stubborn problem of "gray bloom" sun fading and wax/polish residue on black trim components. Each kit contains one half pint (a) ColorGard to re-blacken the component, one half pint (b) UV Guard to ensure a long lasting repair, one half pint of (c) New Car Prep for pre-cleaning to avoid fisheyes, and a selection of application sponges and protective gloves included. Returns the part to original finish, this is a renovation type product with outstanding durability unlike cover-up products.

A trim renovation kit that allows for virtually permanent repairs of black and gray trim items that have been damaged by aging, exposure to solvents, splatter from sealant wax or polish, and paint over spray. Repair / renovate trim without time consuming masking and painting that has a durability of approx three years in average use. This product is not paint or a polish, but an acrylic latex emulsion that is approved by several auto manufacturers.

Part should be clean and dry. If more than one coat is needed, allow to dry thoroughly between coats.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon, they have went to smaller size bottles. The old larger size was way too much product. I think they are 4oz now and have dropped the white toner from the kit.

The training video and the various technical service bulletins for the product are on valugard.net under "videos".
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    The products cited are use for dressing not renovation.

Vinyl Renovation

Faded vinyl and rubber has to be the most difficult to restore; they resist most restoration attempts as most products either wash away or fade. Vinyl moulding on modern cars and SUVs that present the ultimate challenge, re-dying can be both time consuming and expensive.

To renovate and to accomplish long lasting renovation repairs on ultra violet (UV) faded, scuffed, or scratched black exterior trim, moulding, mirror covers, door handles, etc. without replacement or repainting This system is long lasting and can be applied without the use of specialized tools, these products are not dressings that will wash off after a short period but rather is an actual dye that can last from 6 - 12 months.

Vinyl is only semi- porous, since it cannot readily absorb a dressing or protection; the products remain vulnerable to the elements. Water- based polymer products however, form a molecular bond and provide a longer lasting matte finish, similar to the OEM.

Solvent-based dressings have more shine; they will permeate the surface due to its solvent content, but can be removed with detergents and pressure washers. Vinyl and rubber restoration products contain dyes that can stain the paint surface, so they should be removed before they are allowed to dry.

Clean surfaces using Iz einszett `Plastik-Reiniger` an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for urethane covered upholstery and vinyl trim, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane covered automotive upholstery and vinyl; this product is biodegradable and formalin-free

Exterior Trim

ValuGuard Exterior Trim Repair Kit (ETR) - solves the stubborn problem of "gray bloom" sun fading and wax/polish residue on black trim components. Each kit contains one half pint (a) ColorGard to re-blacken the component, one half pint (b) UV Guard to ensure a long lasting repair, one half pint of (c) New Car Prep for pre-cleaning to avoid fisheyes, and a selection of application sponges and protective gloves included. Returns the part to original finish, this is a renovation type product with outstanding durability unlike cover-up products.

A trim renovation kit that allows for virtually permanent repairs of black and gray trim items that have been damaged by aging, exposure to solvents, splatter from sealant wax or polish, and paint over spray. Repair / renovate trim without time consuming masking and painting that has a durability of approx three years in average use. This product is not paint or a polish, but an acrylic latex emulsion that is approved by several auto manufacturers.

Part should be clean and dry. If more than one coat is needed, allow to dry thoroughly between coats.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Ultima Trim and Tire Guard is fantastic and will not be removed from textured plastic regardless of what you do in my experience. (I can`t see the pic). It has to wear off over 3+ months.

However it is not great at really faded trim. If its a but faded it will work amazing but if more than that use CQuartz Dlux. Both are amazing products. Dlux is not easy to sample off but if you pickup the Dlux remind me to send you a sample of UTTG.

Dlux darkens nicely and I`m at about 8 months so far going strong in my testing.

Whichever you use the prep is imperative. If oxidized and loaded with previous dressings- use a water spot remover and mf towel to prep the trim. Scrub and rinse well. Use alkaline (apc) again with mf towel to scrub and rinse while scrubbing, allow to dry, wipe with ipa, and apply Dlux or uttg for great durability.

http://www.carpro-us.com/ultima-tire...ce-protection/

http://www.carpro-us.com/cquartz-dlu...ce-protection/

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s dirty (been a month since washed) but here`s how Dlux looks after 8 months in Florida sun and rain 24/7.

Post Thanks / Like
    tdowns187- When the trim wasn`t bad enough to need refinishing with the ETRII kit, I`ve done OK cleaning/prepping with Griot`s Rubber Prep, a [freakin`] miracle product that works as well on exterior plastic as it does on rubber. Did a great job on the very nasty trim of my beaters, which had *never* had their trim protected/etc. until I got them (read: "their trim was really, *really*, bad").

Other measures that have worked OK- IPA, Optimum PowerClean, and for cases where you need to really get aggressive, Hi-Temp`s Heavy Cut Leveler "357". Yeah, a compound...but it works OK on trim for some reason, no staining/etc. and it`s quite controlled in its abrasion.

After prepping, I too use either the Klasse twins (many layers of the KSG) or, most often, the Ultima stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG
    Ultima Trim and Tire Guard is fantastic and will not be removed from textured plastic regardless of what you do in my experience. (I can`t see the pic). It has to wear off over 3+ months...

It lasts *much* longer for me, but then my vehicles might be kinda pampered. At every wash I give it a little spritz of ValueGard Fast Finish. Actually, I don`t think I`ve had to redo the Ultima on anything for maybe a year or so....guess the Fast Finish is providing a sacrificial layer or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed about the UTTG lasting longer than 3 months. I don`t know if I`ve ever seen it wear off completely even a year later but on faded trim it fades a bit after 3 months in hard weather. My buddy up north tested it through a winter and after 6 months still good. That was on trim in good condition where darkening is not needed as much. For this its amazing and keeps beading and protecting for awhile but if vehicle is parked outside 24/7 its not peak after a few months. Ultima recommends reapplication every 3-4 months for peak protection at all times.

On rims it beats the hell out of the "wheel waxes" people buy.

I tested the heat claim also.... Baked an aluminum sheet coated with uttg up to 550F. Still sheeted and beaded great wife didn`t think it was quite as cool as I did

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG
    Agreed about the UTTG lasting longer than 3 months. I don`t know if I`ve ever seen it wear off completely but on faded trim it fades some after 3 months. My buddy up north tested it through a winter and after 6 months still good. That is on trim in good condition where darkening is not needed as much. For this its amazing and keeps beading and protecting. Of course Ultima recommends reapplication every 3-4 months for top protection at all times.

Been single a long, long time, however, talk about "upsetting" the wife and use of her oven. Had to put a new starter gear ring on the flywheel of my race Mustang in 71, so I put the ring in her oven to heat it up to 500F so it would slip on the flywheel and cool to fit.

That costs me another diamond goodie!

On rims it beats the hell out if the "wheel waxes" people buy.

I tested the heat claim also.... Baked an aluminum sheet coated with uttg up to 550F. Still sheeted and beaded great wife didn`t think it was quite as cool as I did

Yeah, they just don`t understand us "mens" at all!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the piece you are trying to restore is the wiper cowl plastic. I`ve tried a bunch of products as well and have had luck with Tuff Shine Black Restore, topped with Tuff Shine Tire Clearcoat (recommend by TS).

Here are some pics from my Pathfinder. The plastic is 12 years old and outside 24/7:

And you can see here a tape line I placed:

A day later it was 100% dry:

On mud flaps:

On step rails:

Now on my BMW the problem piece is on the side of the windshield.

Before, you can see that strip is dull and spotted:

After:

Piece is between the mirror plastic and A pillar metal (painted):

I can`t swear by the durability of this combo yet. However, Tuff Shines tire product lasts me several months. I have a whole shelf full of the products including:

Mother B2B

Solution Finish

PB`s Trim Restore

Prima Infinity & Nero

Black Wow

PBs BnB

CG Black to Black

Etc...

So far, the TS is the only stuff not affected by rain or washing (10 days / 2 washes / 2 rains in).

Post Thanks / Like
    ETR, properly applied, will last for 5 years or longer.

That`s not me saying it, it is Hyundai, Mazda, Mitsubishi, etc.

Do it once and "forgetta bout it".

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron, they say their dealership paint sealants last 7 years lol! Jk I couldn`t help myself. Sounds like good stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the advice. I`m leaning towards my initial inclination in that it`s less expensive then the ETR, and I actually LIKE detailing my car :chuckle:

The ETR sounds like a great product though. I`ll post follow up with pics in a few weeks, gotta leave town for a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Jon, they have went to smaller size bottles. The old larger size was way too much product. I think they are 4oz now and have dropped the white toner from the kit.

Yep.... The ETR kit I received back in June `12 had the 4oz bottles including the items TOGWT mentioned. ....here`s a pic of what I received for the benefit of others to reference.

Some of the cleaner accidentally leaked out which is why the label and parts of the box may look a little wet.

OP, I have also had success with GTechniq C4 on some faded exterior bits. I say "some" success because it doesn`t seem to work (at least for me) on every surface and/or every level of damage. However, when it does work, it can last for several months or over a year in some cases. ....in my experience at least.

Thread Information