Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPGP slickness?

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried UPGP for the first time Saturday. Washed>megs 105>IPA wipedown and then followed by UPGP. I applied it fairly sparringly, about 1 spritz per panel. Is this stuff supposed to feel slick?

Even the next day the paint doesn`t feel as slick as say AW or OCW. It looks great. However it doesn`t seem slick at all.... It almost feels like just freshly clayed paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t say its the slickest. If you`ve used optiseal I would say its a tad slicker than that. IMO OCW and AW are a bit slicker. Its no where near the slickness of say UPP or WG DGS

Post Thanks / Like
    No its not particularly slick so I always go over with OCW or OID or Ultima Qd once its cured.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been using upgp for 6 months and currently have 4 coats on my car. Not very slick but, durable and gives a good look. I use AW after a wash which adds some slickness and pop to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention, whatever slickness UPGP does provide usually lasts pretty long. Even though its not very slick initially, there won`t be a drop off in slickness the next day/next week/etc. I forgot to mention it does get a slight slight bit slicker the next day after its cured.

The next wash I usually go over it with FK425 or Z8/AW. OCW is a good alternative but I like the high reflectivity/mirror shine of 425/Z8/AW. They will also bring up the slickness

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought UPGP and haven`t used it yet because I`m waiting to get my polisher. I`m glad to hear that it looks good, because I care about that more than slickness. I didn`t love how Four Star`s sealent looks, which is by the same company.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that UPGP is not the slickest sealant around, but I do think it gives a good look, especially after a couple of coats. But what I most love about it is its ease of use. Wipe on everything (paint, trim, metal) and walk away. What could be cooler than that. And it seems to be pretty durable, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    After 3 coats every 12hrs mine is pretty slick.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    All I use now is UPGP. That stuff is way too easy to use and has the best environmental protection ive seen so far (granted ive yet to use some of the really high carnauba content waxes). 1 coat looks great. 2 coats looks WOW. 3 coats is probably the best your car will look.

Since figuring out how to use UPGP Ive only used my wax once. As quick as you can QD, you can have some of the best looking, best protecting, sealant on your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsoto87
    All I use now is UPGP. That stuff is way too easy to use and has the best environmental protection ive seen so far (granted ive yet to use some of the really high carnauba content waxes). 1 coat looks great. 2 coats looks WOW. 3 coats is probably the best your car will look.

Since figuring out how to use UPGP Ive only used my wax once. As quick as you can QD, you can have some of the best looking, best protecting, sealant on your car.

If you want a deeper / wetter look, try a wax over the top of UPGP.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Im pretty happy with alternating between DWG and UPGP. I applied some Petes 53 one time and didnt see much of a difference. Kind of felt it was a waste of time.

Than again this was on my own car which is a shade of silver so its not the best to judge by. Maybe it would have had more of an effect on black.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other sealants that are slick have something in them that pretty much evaporates or washes off in the rain. UPGP or Opti Seal type products dont have this in it i kinda like it and dont. I like the "what you have is what you get" but i also miss the slippery paint even if its just for a week or so.,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsoto87
    Im pretty happy with alternating between DWG and UPGP. I applied some Petes 53 one time and didnt see much of a difference. Kind of felt it was a waste of time.

I have been wondering whether to try Danase Wet Glaze on top of UPGP, perhaps with the intention of subsequently applying another coat of UPGP. I guess there`s only one way to find out if the DWG adds anything. My wife`s car is a silver or light blue (glacier blue, Honda calls it).

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been wondering whether to try Danase Wet Glaze on top of UPGP, perhaps with the intention of subsequently applying another coat of UPGP. I guess there`s only one way to find out if the DWG adds anything. My wife`s car is a silver or light blue (glacier blue, Honda calls it).
    I would try it if I were you. IMO, and it may just be a placebo type effect, DWG will add a bit more depth and really bring out the flake.

When I want to clean up the paint I usually use CG acrylic glaze since its essentially DWG but with cleaners. Than I apply UPGP right after. Next week Ill use DWG and leave it until the next time I wash my car and than Ill apply the UPGP. I pretty much alternate like that.

DWG as an LSP is actually pretty slick. I use it polycharged with the hopes that it actually lasts as an LSP. Seems to work for me.

Try the DWG on top or even better, sandwiched inbetween. I usually apply it with my pc with a red/blue pad. Dont even need to work it for more than a few seconds. Just enough to get even coverage. Wipe off right after. It takes me no more than 10-15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akimel
    This is an old picture with 2 coats of UPGP over DWG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information