Post Thanks / Like
    BEFORE:

AFTER - polishing w/105 & 205

Paint was in good great condition except for spider webbing which was difficult to capture in pics - My light stand is broken.

It is obvious in some before pics that the paint is dull & not shiny. Tough to see improvement white in pics.

2007 white Monte Carlo SS

I bought it brand new but 2 years ago I was using automatic car washes before I became exposed to Autopia.

Car has moderate spider webs. Today, I used my DA Flex w/ green edge pad & Megs 105. I thought that 1 pass would be enough but when I pulled the car under a street light, there were still alot of spider webs. How many passes of 105 on the average do u guys do?

thanks

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no set number of passes with any pad or product combo. As many as it takes.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I step it up to a cutting yellow pad? I dont have any orange edge pads. I bought an edge kit that came w: yellow- cutting; green- medium cutting; blue- finishing; and white- ultra finishing.

I do have Lake Country pads in all colors but I wanted to use these edge pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Standard advice will be to start with the least agressive and work back (maybe green in this case if you really want to use edge pads).

I had a ton of spider webbing and swirls on my car when I picked it up and Menz SIP (PO83Q) on an Uber Orange pad took care of almost all of them and that was utilizing a PC 7424. I only needed to break out the M105 for some heavy scratches. I wouldn`t start with the yellow, no need to cut more than the situation calls for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually do 2 to 3 passes. This depends on how much product you use.

Try putting a LITTLE pressure on the machine.
    2003 Silverado SS

Post Thanks / Like
    How many licks does it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop??

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detail1
    Should I step it up to a cutting yellow pad? I dont have any orange edge pads. I bought an edge kit that came w: yellow- cutting; green- medium cutting; blue- finishing; and white- ultra finishing.

I do have Lake Country pads in all colors but I wanted to use these edge pads.

I would start with the least aggressive cutting pad first. Yellow might be too much.

Here`s what Lake Country says.

We recommend using an Orange Light Cutting Pad prior to jumping to the Yellow Cutting Pad.

It`s up to you though.

Post Thanks / Like
    The yellow is preaty aggresive compared to the orange if the paint is soft you may not want to use the yellow, you might try white if you have it and use more pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    There were a ton of swirls and spider webbing on my 2005 BMW (Carbon Black) when I purchased it in October of 2008. I hit it with Menz PO83Q (less aggressive than M105) and an Uber orange pad and it took care of them.

I agree with nosbusa1700, a yellow pad may be too much. No need to cut more than the situation calls for.

Can you post some pix?

Post Thanks / Like
    detail1- Some GM clear is very hard. It can take *MANY* passes with the Flex/M105 even with a fairly aggressive pad. One pass will remove *VERY* light marring on my Yukon, but I mean so light that most people could never see it. For real marring, a polishig pad/M105 combo will often take quite a few tries and I don`t mean just four or five. That`s because it`s not the right combo for the job

That said, I`d be careful with yellow foam pads but not because it`ll remove too much paint (I bet this car needs a lot of clear cut off). With yellow foam pads, it`s possible to instill marring that`ll be hard to then remove. IMO orange foam or PFW is a much better idea, or the Meguiar`s 7006 maroon cutting pad, or even mild wool. The yellow foam just sometimes scours the finish too much; the foam itself is the cause of marring.

If you do try it, make sure you have the pad thoroughly and uniformly primed with product and don`t press hard. Let the product do the cutting, not the foam (as best you can).

Hey, you have the LC pads. Just use the right pad. Using the wrong pad for no good reason seems silly.

This is another example of why I`m usually not in favor of pre-assembled "kits"; people end up with stuff they don`t need and don`t have what they *do* need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using an orange Cobra Cross Groove pad & 2 passes w/Megs 105 I got rid of all of the spider webs. There`s just a few minor spots that Im not even worried about. Tomorrow I will follow up with Megs 205 & PO85RD. What color pads should I use for these 2 products?

Thanks for everyone`s help. I have not even opened the yellow pads yet. Will save them for my dad`s 1984 red GMC pickup which is heavily oxidized!

Post Thanks / Like
    Using an orange Cobra Cross Groove pad & 2 passes w/Megs 105 I got rid of all of the spider webs. There`s just a few minor spots that Im not even worried about. Tomorrow I will follow up with Megs 205 & PO85RD. What color pads should I use for these 2 products?

Thanks for everyone`s help. I have not even opened the yellow pads yet. Will save them for my dad`s 1984 red GMC pickup which is heavily oxidized!
    You should start out with a white pad and 205. The white foam pad is the most used in polishing and would get a few of them. As far as using 85rd for finishing, use a blue lc pad.

Post Thanks / Like

For the M205 it depends on what kind of finish the M105 left behind. I`ve sometimes had to us an orange pad for the first go with M205 and I *really* like the orange *Griot`s* pad with it. (this is via Flex as these are ~6" pads).

Which pad to use with M205? Might be anything from an orange light cut to a finishing pad. It`s one of those "just depends..." things.

Since you won`t switch from the M205 to the Menzerna until everything appears perfect, I`d use a zero-cut finishing pas with the Menzerna.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics added- today i will follow up with DWG & Megs 16. Then tomorrow - detail interior, wheels, trim, etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Got More Wax
    How many licks does it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop??

Andy

According to Mr. Owl...3

Thread Information