Post Thanks / Like
    I have been having trouble getting responses from the membership. I hope my initiation is over b/c I could use some advice and help getting rid of micro marring on my black M35X. In the shade it look great, in the SUN, looks like thin strands of spider webs are on the car and catch the light.

I am using Ultima products top to bottom. Can someone who has sucessfully used this (Ultima) line please give me your opinions on the following productsmine are listed below)

Tire and Trim

Paint Prep

Ultima Paint Guard Sealant

Elastrofoam Block and Lube

Ultima QD

Interior Gel Shampoo

Interior Sealant

Here is my experience. My backgroung prior to Ultima has been with Colonite 845IW and Grey (fine clay)Mothers car wash, and P21S Gold W/C, and Trutle Wax Bug and Tar Remover, Stoners GC Trigger. Main reason for a switch was WOWA sealant, figured the less I touch black the better!

I am very Happy with the Ultima system although it has only been on the car 4-6 weeks so durability is still yet to be seen. Some minor issues I will detail each product below.

Tire and Trim-Easy on, great coverage, lasts and lasts! matte to low gloss finish 8.5/10

Paint Prep
    -Used by hand clears up light micro marring. Using PC (and orange pad) I made a mess-could be me, it was my first time and am waiting for a new pad from Manufacturer. 8/10 by hand Unrated by machine until I figure it out! If you have had good experience please share procedure. I am not sure if i worked polish to much, or too liitle or used too much or too little!

Ultima Paint Guard Plus Sealant-Super easy on, WOWA, Great beading after 4-6 weeks and nice slick feel, nothing seems to stick (dirt, Bird bombs and bugs). Only issue is in some areas I need to QD to get application streaks out. Seems I had been over applying. These are only seen on dark cars and usually where I start after reapplying product to the applicator. Stuff should be used micro thin!

Elastrofoam Block and Lube-I was told my applicator was bad and it is being replaced. Came in white and chalky. Will rate later.

Quick Detailer-Awsome product. Smells great, works like magic. Creates great depth, gloss and wet shine. Adds Slickness. 10/10

Ultima Car Wash-Good Suds, Smells good. My car has never been really dirty so its fine. Fast rinsing, no film left behind and suds last all wash. Also use as wheel cleaner 1 oz per gallon applied in pump sprayer.

Interior Shampoo-Again car is new so it cleans, smells OK.

Interior Sealant-Did 1/2 of dash and it is evident that the sealed portion is slightly darker black and all dust is easily removed with a damp MF towel. Did dash, wood trim and plastic in door jam and Steel jam plates. 9/10

If I could solve my micro marring issue with the PC and Paint Prep I would be golden!

Anyone on Long Island, NY using this system on a black sucessfully?

Thanks,

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

Ultima`s line of products is awesome, but no product (no matter how good) can make marred (swirls, spiderwebs, scratches, etc) paint look good. You have to polish out the imperfections first. You`ll read alot here about how important good prep is. That`s what we`re talking about; polishing the paint using abrasive polishes until *all* the swirls, spiderwebs, etc. are completely gone. *Then* topping it with Ultima`s sealant will give you the look you want.

Unfortunately, getting in to paint polishing isn`t something you can just blow 25 bucks on, spend twenty minutes reading about, then expect to have good results. It`s a huuuuuuuuuuge time and money investment. Often, people are money and time ahead to just pay a professional detailer to do the polishing. Then spend your time reading up here about how to maintain the finish without putting any more swirls or spider webs in it.

Now having said that, if you still want to learn to polish your own paint, *everything* you need to know has been written on these forums many, many times. There`s no way you can escape spending a huuuuuuge amount of time reading and researching it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, I have read everything I can find on the topic of paint polishing and using the "goof proof" PC. I am interested in learning how to do it myself only because I want to maintain my car`s regularly. I want to be able to touch up areas as they occur.

I have watched the AG videos and the Utube videos. Still there is no substitute for hands on experience.

Does anyone know a detail shop or mobile detailer on LI that uses the Ultima line? Mobile is my preference. I would like to have my car polished out while teaching me how to use the equipment I own. I am not looking to go into business, just maintain my own cars. I am open to paying hourly or for the service your choice.

Thanks,

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X
    ........If I could solve my micro marring issue with the PC and Paint Prep I would be golden!........
    The UPPP is a very gentle polish that might not be able to remove the marring that you have. I personally consider it more of a paint cleaner and prep for UPGP than a polish to remove defects. The problem you had when using it with a PC was most likely too much product, it doesn`t take very much or it will be difficult to remove:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/1153427-post4.html

If you find you need a more aggressive polish start reading some more in the machine polishing forum. There are a lot of very good polishes to choose from, and once you start reading you`ll most likely discover one that suits what you`re trying to accomplish. To start you off here is a very good guide on using the PC:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...apolishing.pdf
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the gospel right there. It still blows my mind the level of perfection some of the top pros are able to achieve on here. I`ve been doing this now for nine months (Still a novice in every sense of the word) and while I`m probably close to the level of knowledge of some of these guys on paper, putting the proverbial pen to that paper is a totally different story. It`s very easy to read every article on here and think that you can get to work on a 599 GTB and make it concours ready. I know....I thought the exact same thing. If I`m still doing this five years from now, I`ll still be learning.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    Jeff,

Ultima`s line of products is awesome, but no product (no matter how good) can make marred (swirls, spiderwebs, scratches, etc) paint look good. You have to polish out the imperfections first. You`ll read alot here about how important good prep is. That`s what we`re talking about; polishing the paint using abrasive polishes until *all* the swirls, spiderwebs, etc. are completely gone. *Then* topping it with Ultima`s sealant will give you the look you want.

Unfortunately, getting in to paint polishing isn`t something you can just blow 25 bucks on, spend twenty minutes reading about, then expect to have good results. It`s a huuuuuuuuuuge time and money investment. Often, people are money and time ahead to just pay a professional detailer to do the polishing. Then spend your time reading up here about how to maintain the finish without putting any more swirls or spider webs in it.

Now having said that, if you still want to learn to polish your own paint, *everything* you need to know has been written on these forums many, many times. There`s no way you can escape spending a huuuuuuge amount of time reading and researching it.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, getting in to paint polishing isn`t something you can just blow 25 bucks on, spend twenty minutes reading about, then expect to have good results. It`s a huuuuuuuuuuge time and money investment.

You can say that again. At least I invested thousands of dollars in my detailing arsenal, instead of doing something foolish like putting it in the stock market. It appears my detailing stuff was a better investment than my 401K:bawling:
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to gloss over the more detailed recommendations, but perhaps an orange pad was not the best choice to finish with on soft black.

Post Thanks / Like
    While UPPP is marketed as able to take out swirls, I haven`t seen it. I use it as more of a glaze.

Jeff,

How true that is. I could have had my car detailed 4 or 5 times with a complete correction each time for the money I spent on my supplies. But I take pride in doing it myself. I am no master, but I can get the job done with the condition I keep my cars.

BTW, SuperBee, it`s nice to see you back around.

Thread Information