Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so I was reading. I "googled" it and looked at lots of reviews. It seems that baby oil is a cheap way to restore trim. Anyone used it? Looking for people who have actually used baby oil on their trim.

I need to find something for trim and after reading reviews on Black Wow I dont think thats what I want. What do you guys suggest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Look, these oils will help remove dried wax and polish, which is definitely the amateur`s biggest trim problem. However, UV-damaged trim is not going to be "restored" by ANYTHING short of paint or dye. I think you guys are going a little nuts in deriding certain products for not being a miracle cure--there ain`t no such thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im going to test out my wifes Mazolla cooking oil. Just as soon as she leaves the house Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, knock yourself out. You know, the rubbery rear window trim/filler on my old Pontiac shrunk up by several inches from UV exposure, so it no longer filled up the whole perimeter of the rear window. I was never under any illusion that putting Black Wow or baby oil or cooking oil or joy jelly was ever going to restore it to how it had been when it was new.

In some cases, what you guys seem to be expecting is equivalent to spilling bleach on a dark shirt, and expecting some clear liquid to turn the light spot back to dark, permanently. Or expecting wax on your paint to be permanent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Look, these oils will help remove dried wax and polish, which is definitely the amateur`s biggest trim problem. However, UV-damaged trim is not going to be "restored" by ANYTHING short of paint or dye. I think you guys are going a little nuts in deriding certain products for not being a miracle cure--there ain`t no such thing.

Black Wow claims to restore faded trim. It also costs $25 for 4 oz. I think it`s perfectly reasonable to expect it to restore faded trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    PREMIUM WOW! Thats what I call this!

All I am looking for is something that will last 2 weeks or more and really make the trim look good! Baby oil was just a question!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wfedwar
    Black Wow claims to restore faded trim. It also costs $25 for 4 oz. I think it`s perfectly reasonable to expect it to restore faded trim.

And apparently it does...just not for a long enough period of time for some people. I have a bottle of Poorboy`s Trim Restorer...which I have used and expect it to last for 3 or 4 weeks...but I`m not complaining about that it didn`t permanently restore what I used it on.

Maybe I should market a wax and call it "shine restorer"...but I guess I`ll be sued out of existence because it won`t last forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im confused! Setec Astronomy, are you upset? I was just asking a question, not for someone to have almighty answers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Premium
    All I am looking for is something that will last 2 weeks or more and really make the trim look good! Baby oil was just a question!

I think that silicone oils are more resistant to wash-off than mineral oils. Baby oil is a mineral oil. I think almost any dressing you can get that`s an oil (as opposed to the milky-white PDMS water-based dressings) will last for 2 weeks. The water-based will last until the first rain or wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    And apparently it does...just not for a long enough period of time for some people. I have a bottle of Poorboy`s Trim Restorer...which I have used and expect it to last for 3 or 4 weeks...but I`m not complaining about that it didn`t permanently restore what I used it on.

Maybe I should market a wax and call it "shine restorer"...but I guess I`ll be sued out of existence because it won`t last forever.

When I used Wow, I never expected it to restore anything permanetly. The bottle says lasts "months", which is plural meaning "more than one". If i had evern gotten a month, thats about what I would have expected, but I didn`t get that either.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best product I`ve found for textured trim is Werkstat Satin Prot. It doesn`t last forever, but it does darken the color somewhat and it`s easy to use. I also never have problems with it running on the paint. I`m not sure if it uses PDMS or not. For smooth trim, I use a paint cleaner like AIO or Prime. I`ve had decent luck cleaning textured trim with watered down AIO and a brush.

Post Thanks / Like
    yup. pledge on the paint and baby oil on the trim .. thats how the pros at the local coin op do it here
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats right, flame my post! It was just a question because I had no idea! If you haven`t tried it your post in invalid! I specifically asked for people who HAD tried it!

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt anyone here would admit it even if they did... Maybe you should consult the people at Cars Videos - Free Video Clips | ExpertVillage Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Go bye some standard tire gel from Wal-mart. About 5 bucks and should last a couple weeks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information