Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if synthetic wax or sealants are harmful? If it gets on your skin for a long period of time and the debris when buffing off gets inhaled or in your eyes, is it at all harmful? I can only imagine the possibilities of getting the synthetic stuff inside you, especially since it`s made for strong durability and protection on paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    it might be hard to shower if you`re beading water like crazy :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    Read the MSDS for the particular product you`re using. Also, you could always wear nitrile gloves, surgical mask, and eye protection if you`re that concerned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any suggestion for those interested in "all natural" paint protection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with PTRon. However, with waxes and sealants, the chemicals usually aren`t that potent. However, if you`re constantly working with chemical cleaners (acidic/basic) and polishes (dusting), you should be somewhat careful.

With waxes/sealants, I haven`t noticed any irritation from prolonged skin exposure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkZ28Conv
    Any suggestion for those interested in "all natural" paint protection?

Go to Brazil and find some carnauba from the trees there

Post Thanks / Like
    Amongst other reasons, exactly why I use OCW. No petro-solvents or other harmful ingredients.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    Amongst other reasons, exactly why I use OCW. No petro-solvents or other harmful ingredients.

None these ingredients are in normal vehicle shampoo either.:nixweiss

Besides not all petroleum products are harmful. Baby oil is mineral oil a mainstay for infant skin care and a mainstay in many adult skin care products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkZ28Conv
    None these ingredients are in normal vehicle shampoo either.:nixweiss

Besides not all petroleum products are harmful. Baby oil is mineral oil a mainstay for infant skin care and a mainstay in many adult skin care products.
    I am not sure what your point is with your first sentence. I never said anything about car shampoos. We are not really talking about mineral oil either. As far as I know, mineral spirits are not found in skin care products. They are, however, found in some waxes, sealants, and polishes. All I was trying to say, is that OCW does not contain any ingredients that are harmful to people or the environment. The main reason I use OCW is that it works great and saves me time. The safety of it is just an added benefit.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    since the VOC laws went into affect most products use pretty harmless solvents and the %s are pretty low.

Post Thanks / Like
    so your cool with breathing the dust from a nuba?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    I am not sure what your point is with your first sentence. I never said anything about car shampoos. We are not really talking about mineral oil either. As far as I know, mineral spirits are not found in skin care products. They are, however, found in some waxes, sealants, and polishes. All I was trying to say, is that OCW does not contain any ingredients that are harmful to people or the environment. The main reason I use OCW is that it works great and saves me time. The safety of it is just an added benefit.

From your initial statement it appears as though you were stating that OCW was unique in lacking "petro" products. Sorry, I guess I read too much into your statement.:nixweiss

Petro products include mineral spirits as well as "mineral oil (baby oil)". Both are derived from crude oil. Basically what I`m saying is that both are in the same family of chemicals and if used properly at safe dosages are harmless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smebbs
    I was wondering if synthetic wax or sealants are harmful? If it gets on your skin for a long period of time and the debris when buffing off gets inhaled or in your eyes, is it at all harmful? I can only imagine the possibilities of getting the synthetic stuff inside you, especially since it`s made for strong durability and protection on paint.

Before we all get carried away, let`s remember that lots of tablets and food have coatings on them, including carnauba wax, to improve their appearence and/or make them easier to swallow. Most "synthetic" wax/sealant is based on silicones, which are also used in food products as defoaming agents, etc.

As with any chemical that may have solvents or irritants in it, it`s best to minimize skin contact, and not get it in your eyes or lungs. But it`s not going to kill you if it does, there are lots more dangerous things you are exposed to. Just don`t bathe in, drink, or snort your LSP :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    so your cool with breathing the dust from a nuba?

Are you directing that question towards me or brwill2005? I don`t have any nubas other than a cleaner wax.

Anyway, it doesn`t really seem that sealants are all that safe to use despite a few people saying otherwise. I question why most top notch sealants aren`t sold OTC such as Klasse and must be purchased online. And how do we know sealants are regulated by the `VOC` laws? Afterall sealants aren`t all that commercial...What does MSDS mean? If that`s the mfg`s cautionary statements then they say do not swallow or induce vomitting such as with most chemical products. I only intend to detail my car every 6 months and autopians recommend applying layers of products in the shade such as a garage. I just wonder with all the debris from sealants on the floor how airborne they can get with the garage door opening and closing all the time. And with such a small amount needed to protect your car, I wonder what a small amount of sealant wax debris can do your body if inhaled. How do I know it`s not going to kill me? It could be cancerous...I`m going to wear glasses, a surgical mask, and gloves next time I detail my car with synthetic stuff and not in my garage anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok man, make sure you wear a respirator when your are putting gas in your car, or if you are changing a fuel filter or anything, or even working around your car, because gasoline contains benzene, a known carcinogen. And keep wearing all that safety stuff when you`re outside, because there is brake dust and tire dust blowing around, not to mention pollen which could trigger an allergic reaction...speaking of allergic reactions, be careful waxing your car outside, because if you get stung by an insect, it could cause anaphylactic shock which could be fatal.

Why are you obsessing about a microscopic amount of sealant dust, when every day you are in contact with more dangerous compounds? Do you ever use any household cleaners? Do you put bleach in your wash? Do you use toilet bowl cleaner? Drain cleaner? Do you change your own oil? Top it off? Put windshield washer fluid with deadly methanol in it in your car? Anti-freeze? Second-hand smoke? Do you smoke? I work with a guy who thinks that everything we have at work is going to kill him, but he keeps smoking his cancer sticks.

If you are this traumatized by the process, I seriously think you need to seek out a detailer to LSP your car, so you don`t expose yourself unecessarily.

Edit: Also make sure to check the contaminant analysis done by your water company (presuming you don`t have your own well) because there are all kinds of chemicals, poisons, etc., in the water you drink/bathe/cook with...BUT THEY ARE ALL BELOW SOME ARBITRARILY SET LEVEL. Who knows who set those levels and whether they are REALLY safe? You should get one of those charchoal filter gizmos...just make sure that the glues and so forth holding that filter together aren`t leaching any chemicals into your "clean" water, man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information