Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I placed some emails to Sal at Zaino and David at Optimum regarding putting Zaino and OCW on fresh paint. In all the threads I have been reading about what to put on fresh paint, most suggest a glaze is all that can be done. Well, I cant do that. I tried to put some #7 on this weekend and it looked fine, but when I re-washed the truck today, there were terrible water spots on the whole truck. We have really hard water around our area, and a drop will spot almost permenantly. So I decided I needed a new approach and wanted to try to put something on the paint that will leave some protection. Then I remembered Zaino and OCW were rumored ok on fresh paint so I emailed the companies and they responded as such.

Sal`s response.

There`s alot of misinformation about waiting three months for the paint to

cure.

I am a custom painter by trade. I am very familar with Dupont, PPG and

all the other paint manufacturers.

The most I personally would wait on fresh "aftermarket body shop" paint

before

polishing with Zaino Show Car Polish is 1 week. That`s more than sufficient

curing time.

Zaino contains no wax, silicones or abrasives.....

The new paints are catalyzed. A chemical reaction cures the paint. The

older lacquers and enamels needed time for the solvents to release. This

is not the case anymore. Believe me if that paint need 3 months to dry

than it will never dry.... Just the facts.

For the Ultimate in paint protection and an incredible Show Car finish on your above scenario. I recommend purchasing the Zaino Bros` Total Protection Show Car Kit.. Code# ZKIT-1

NOTE: Z-18 CLAYbar is not necessary on fresh paint...

David from Optimum

Dear Mr. Wiggins:

Thank you for your interest in the Optimum Car Care products. Optimum Car Wax is safe to use on fresh paint since it is water-based and has not abrasives or solvents. It will also provide great protection for the new paint. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. Thanks again.

Both of them just seem to want to sell product, and they will agree that Zaino and OCW is ok on fresh paint just to get a sell. I do feel more comforatable putting something like Z-5 or Z-8 on the paint. I may go ahead and put it on the paint this weekend, I have to prevent water spots so they arent bad enough after 2months that the paint looks hellish.

Brandon
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brandon

You will be fine if you put z5 on. I did a car that had newly painted fenders on and was only 2 or 3 weeks old paint. Z5 worked perfect and it had no problems at all. It made the new paint really glow.

Paint has changed a lot and most still think you have to wait for cure time. I still would wait at least 7 days. I use to paint cars too.

You just have to be careful of solvent based silicones.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both of them just seem to want to sell product, and they will agree that Zaino and OCW is ok on fresh paint just to get a sell.

I think you are being a bit hard on both of them. You asked both a question and both answered your question and suggested their product line to fill your need. If you don`t want to use their products take a trip to WalMart and get some NXT or Mothers FX.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean no offense here but just about anyone you contact (those who sell and manufacture) is going to recommend one of their products so of course the info is going to sound like a sales pitch for their products.

The information given is correct by both Sal and David.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen Davids credentials.

Dr. Ghodoussi has over 12 years of experience as an Organic Chemist overseeing research and development focused in polymers and automotive paint formulations. He received his Ph.D. and Master`s degrees in Polymer and Organic Chemistry from Oregon State University and an MBA from University of Memphis. He also holds Bachelor`s of Science degrees in Chemical Engineering and in Chemistry from the University of California in Santa Barbara.

I didn`t see that he was trying to sell you any thing. He told you that it was safe and if you needed further assistance to contact him.

David is not a sales man and he would be the first to tell you this.

Sal is a sales man.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I didnt mean anything by the "sales" comment, I just wanted to make sure that these guys arent crappin me on this subject. I want the best for my paint, and as controversial as Zaino/OCW on fresh paint is, I want to make sure that they are safe.

So would yall use Zaino or OCW judging by the responses or yalls experiences?
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Either one will work OK. I personally use Optimum spray wax.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    Ok, I didnt mean anything by the "sales" comment, I just wanted to make sure that these guys arent crappin me on this subject. I want the best for my paint, and as controversial as Zaino/OCW on fresh paint is, I want to make sure that they are safe.

So would yall use Zaino or OCW judging by the responses or yalls experiences?

The body shop that is next to me has me wet and and polish all of the BMW`s and Mercedes that go through the shop. After we do the work we wash the carts and wipe them down with Optimum spray wax. I have been doing this for two years and no problems. Some cars come back a month later wrecked again and no signs of any problems. No customer complaints.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent`s & Details

Sal is a sales man.

Wow! That`s a pretty bold statement. Being that Sal owned a premier auto shop for many years and is a custom painter, I definitely think he has the credentials, like david, to make the claims about the fresh paint. I too had the same question, and Sal said I was good to go after a week. I sealed my paint, and had no problems.

Either way, David and Sal are both VERY knowledgeable in the field. You can trust what they are telling you. They would never tell you to do something that would harm your paint just to put a couple extra bucks in their pocket.

Greg
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, that is what I needed to know.

I do still have one question. I know that Carnauba is NOT ok for fresh paint, but isnt OCW a carnauba base?
    Showroom Shine Details

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GregCavi
    Wow! That`s a pretty bold statement. Being that Sal owned a premier auto shop for many years and is a custom painter, I definitely think he has the credentials

Greg

I did not say that he didn`t.

I have spoken to Sal over the phone and he was very pleasant. Not angry and short tempered as others have posted. That being said. Sal didn`t get to be where he is today not being a sales man.

My statement is not any bolder then Sal`s.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent`s & Details
    I did not say that he didn`t.

I have spoken to Sal over the phone and he was very pleasant. Not angry and short tempered as others have posted. That being said. Sal didn`t get to be where he is today not being a sales man.

My statement is not any bolder then Sal`s.

Very well. I guess I mis-understood your statement. I have found Sal to, "say it as it is." Straight and to the point.

greg
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like

I do still have one question. I know that Carnauba is NOT ok for fresh paint, but isnt OCW a carnauba base?

Why isn`t carnauba OK for fresh paint? Even Ron Ketchum with ValuGard says that one of their wax products is perfectly fine for fresh paint.

People say that a layer of wax will not allow the paint to gas out but what they are not thinking about is this, how is the base coat gassing out since it has a clear coat applied over it? Paint is far smaller on the molecular level than wax, wax just lays on top of paint and cannot penetrate it.

So what many people are saying is that the paint is able to gas out through the clear coat but a thin layer of wax will stop it. Doesn`t make sense to me. Think about this also....they wet sand and buff fresh paint with abrasive products shortly after being sprayed....both OEM and after market. So wax will not keep paint from drying properly.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

OCW is polymer based with UV protection and carnauba added. I`ve used it on fresh paint (a few weeks after the paint job) and never had a problem.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not contact the paint manufacture and ask them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information