Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there all. Just wanna know if their is any thing as a single stage metallic paint? :nixweiss

And can a red / white single stage paint be coated with a clear coat? My painter told me that red / white cannot spray a clear coat on top or else the color will turn yellowish? is this true? :nixweiss

But I saw him spray a car the other day. The metallic color was matte in color, then when he sprayed a clear coat on top the whole paint was wet look shinning? So if that`s the case When he sprayed red color the paint is already shinning....? :dance

Thank you kindly & Happy New Year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes,single stage metallics were used right up until the early/mid 1980`s.The customer usually had the option of,single stage,or two stage metallic(clear).

When you saw your painter spray a car,and the metallic color was matte,this is how it is supposed to look.The clear coat gives the metallic paint its shine/gloss,without it,the paint will appear dull,lifeless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh okay. Thks it really clears up for me. Coz then my first car the Mini Clubman was a single stage metallic. I use to polish it so often till the paint cracked. And I see red color under the metallic blue......hehehe.

Post Thanks / Like
    SilverSeven- I have two ss metallic cars at present, the `84 RX-7 and the `85 XJS. Gotta be pretty gentle with that paint, it won`t take much polishing.

Spraying clear over a single-stage is tricky and can lead to problems. Not "will" but "can". Generally, if you want clear on there, get it shot is basecoat clear and have him put on a few extra coats of the clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thks Accumulator. I`ll check with my painter friend see he could do that for me. Happy New Year.

Thread Information