Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s the difference between meguiar`s 16 and 26? I know 16 is discontinued, but I have read many good things about them both. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to use #26 a lot. It imparts a slight yellowing to the paint. #16 is more clear imho.

#26 is a decent wax though.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, i agree. I find #16 to be clearer,and of course,more durable,but #26 looks better IMO,it is wetter,darker,and richer than#16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverLexus
    I used to use #26 a lot. It imparts a slight yellowing to the paint.

#26 is a decent wax though.

I completely agree about the yellowing from #26. Years ago, I used nothing but Meguiar`s waxes and mostly layer after layer of #26 (mixed in with occassional Gold Class and Mediallion). I was using it on a dark red car, and while it always looked great, I never really noticed the yellowing buildup, until it was all stripped off and applied Zaino (which subsequently led me to a Zaino fetish for several years). It was amazing actually that the paint took on a completely different color after the #26 was gone.
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using #26 for years and have NEVER seen it yellow paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    16 is also great for depth and "glow" and its durability is top notch
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll have to give 26 a try. I`m trying to layer KSG for the winter.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe
    I have been using #26 for years and have NEVER seen it yellow paint.

26 darkens paint considerable. In some cases medium colors become dark colors with 26.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, the #26 can add a nice, golden glow to the paint which is extremely beneficial on certain flatter shades. It produces tremendous richness, and the colors come alive. One of my biggest faves.

On neutral colors I tend to use neutral looking products though.

Post Thanks / Like
    #10:chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverLexus
    I used to use #26 a lot. It imparts a slight yellowing to the paint. #16 is more clear imho.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMike
    I completely agree about the yellowing from #26.

C`mon guys...that is ridiculous...doesn`t 16 turn your paint blue then? And Z2Pro turn your paint red? They don`t even get any color on the cloth you wipe it off with...much less the molecules-thick amount that is left on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to detect a similar golden hue with only one other product (on my green): AG EGP.

It is not a coloring effect, but if you used older sealants, you may have seen a silvery, iridescent ghostiness from certain angles on darker colors. The golden hue is a similar thing, but not as pronounced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    C`mon guys...that is ridiculous...doesn`t 16 turn your paint blue then? And Z2Pro turn your paint red? They don`t even get any color on the cloth you wipe it off with...much less the molecules-thick amount that is left on the car.

I think you are misunderstanding, as it has nothing to do with the actual color of the product, but rather the quality of the carnauba. Lesser quality yellow wax, will tend to yellow or tint paint slightly, in my experience, over multiple applications (I`m talking like 2 apps per month of the stuff at least). Does the yellow wax not adhere to the paint? They don`t call it High Tech "Yellow" Wax for no reason, I guess. Anyway, all I know is that the red car that had many apps of #26 had an orangeish cast to the paint (yellow wax buildup+dark red paint). After it was stripped and Zaino applied (100% optically pure), the dark red looked much different, a pure red if you will. And, I only really noticed such an effect after I stopped using it.

The yellowing appearance may be very subtle, but I think it`s certainly there. Otherwise why does Souveran go to all the trouble to use bleached caranuba to turn it white? What difference does that make in appearance?
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    You will notice the yellowing on a white car after many coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    C`mon guys...that is ridiculous...doesn`t 16 turn your paint blue then? And Z2Pro turn your paint red?

Mike, that is apples and oranges. Carnaubas are not optically clear as many modern sealants like Zaino. That is a fact.

I had Oyster Pearl paint on my prior Lexus which has elements of silver and gold metallic paint. When I used #26 (the first four years or so of ownership) it magnified the gold glow of the paint. When I switched to P21S both metals shown through just like the car looked after a thorough polishing.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information