Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turtle Wax ICE

Post Thanks / Like
    I am [was] curious to hear any thoughts or comments about this product. I just bought a new Toyota Yaris Liftback as my daily commute vehicle. On the Yaris bulletin board, several of the folks were using ICE. I bought a bottle to give it a try and in putting it on I felt the paint just a wee bit dry - smooth but dry (this is after its manufacture date of 5 weeks ago). The product when on like baby oil and the results are nothing short of spectacular. The paint is smooth as glass. I applied a second coat the next day just for ducks and bought a bottle of the detail spray for in-between touch up. I am mightily impressed with this product. As an aside, for my Volvo, I have always used Maguiars` products. Anyone else have experience with it? Thanks in advance..

I am in agreement with the comments left and I thank all of you. The product does a decent job but lacks the power of more advanced products. It is indeed for the casual user who wants a quick shine with minimal effort. I can`t deny its allure in that regard; however, it doesn`t last so one has to reapply the product to keep the look it provides which translates into more money over the course of time relative to a good polish/wax. My curiosity is satisfied.

I am learning alot about products recommended in this forum and appreciate it much.
    2019 Ford Fiesta ST
    2018 Honda CRV AWD

Post Thanks / Like
    problem with ICE is last about 2 weeks

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno, compared to my regular bunch I didnt like the fact that it is impossible to see on lighter cars (when rubbing off). I never really tested its durability so I cant comment on it.

Though I like the quick detailer because it is clear, but the rest doesnt exactly call to me.
    Louis Tovar - Smooth Reflections

Mobile Detailing and Paint Rejuvenation

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if your impressed with its results, the thoughts of others is really irrelevant, no?

The problem with OTC products is they`re manufactured for DIY`ers. There are some real good OTC products that I like, i.e. Mother Reflections Tire Care, and sealant. Most OTC shoppers are unaware of the finer issues of such products i.e., durability, filling abilities, ease or lack of ease when using. They dont eally have anything "mightier" to compare to! We (autopians) probably have some stricter guidlines we follow.

Im not saying theres anything wrong with the Ice products, (Nice labeling though) i just think detailers in general have a little tougher criteria for what is smooth, durable, easy to use and more importantly, what looks good......
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Point well taken...Thanks.
    2019 Ford Fiesta ST
    2018 Honda CRV AWD

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you like ICE chances are you`d be blown away by Zaino or Duragloss products.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO Turtle Platinum is better then Turtle Ice.

Post Thanks / Like
    ICE is horrible. Bret bought it on a lark one day and the results were dismal...extremely low durability and it looks like vaseline, loaded with solvents.

I have yet to find a Turtle Wax product I like.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverLexus
    ICE is horrible. Bret bought it on a lark one day and the results were dismal...extremely low durability and it looks like vaseline, loaded with solvents.

I have yet to find a Turtle Wax product I like.
    ^^^^Wholeheartedly agree. Been awhile since I was this unsatisfied by a product. Didnt like the smell. No durability. Im pretty sure it removed my LSP, Gold Class, too. I suppose it might be a cheap way to make plastic and rubber look super shiny (if thats your thing) for show days.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I`d summarize my experience with ICE. I recently used Meguairs NXT paste, letting it cure 24 hours before applying a second coat. I then used Meguairs GC paste, with an easy-does-it coat followed by a second light coat to insure even coverege. I then followed up with #26 paste all using Meguiars foam pads and hand wipping with MF towels. I used cheesecloth to `feel` the surface with each application to determine the efficacy of the effort. I have to say, that each one made a distinct difference in feel and shine. I have subsequently kept the surface clean with Meguairs NXT QD.

Today, I decided, after a QD wipe-down to apply a coat of ICE polish to `mess around`. It went on just like it did that first day - like baby oil on a baby! The resulting wipe down was an astonishing event! I actually slipped down the panel and almost hit the ground!

I now know where ICE fits in the details chain. It sits ON TOP of everything! I was simmply stunned as was the neighborhood consituency. Admittedly, they all think I`m too anal about this experiment but they were unanimously objective in their observations.

My conclusion: ICE works `incredibly` well on top of a well prepated surface. That`s where it fits. Turtlewax should really specify this. While it can be used alone, it really `shines` on top of a solid foundation. It is easy on and easy off if used sparingly and the look is spectacular.
    2019 Ford Fiesta ST
    2018 Honda CRV AWD

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep you finally figured it out. Silicone oil based products produce great slickness and awesome shine. I`d suggest just using the QD as it`s quicker and probably lasts nearly as long as the ICE.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is NOTHING in Turtle Wax`s lineup that I would EVER put on my car.

How about some pics of your car?

Post Thanks / Like
    lambostealth: I don`t know, but you seem to be a bit too biased. Hey, I started out with Turtle Wax Hard Shell and I really hated it. But various members have posted good results with the Turtle Wax Platinum versions of the waxes and tire gels/sprays.

keesue, do you think ICE really improved the shine as compared with when it wasn`t applied? I have a feeling that other QD`s and spray sealants would be able to do even better a job. Duragloss Aquawax comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but I base my opinion on the products with experience. I have tested TWP on my daily driver in the past, against Megs NXT for durability. I got through two weekly washes (two bucket method with sheepskin), and the TWP was dead when it came to beading, the NXT lasted just over a month.

I can`t speak for the gels/sprays, but I have read reviews about other TW products and not seen many happy users.

I believe in reviews from real world people, especially the forums like this one chocked full of professionals in the industry, however I don`t run out and buy anything based on a single persons review, I like to see consistancy in reviews from several people.

I also have seen HORRIBLE reviews of ICE, then this guy says.....

Quote Originally Posted by keesue

I now know where ICE fits in the details chain. It sits ON TOP of everything! I was simmply stunned as was the neighborhood consituency. Admittedly, they all think I`m too anal about this experiment but they were unanimously objective in their observations.

I`m sorry, I guess I just thought that maybe he is being a bit narrow minded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    lambostealth: I don`t know, but you seem to be a bit too biased. Hey, I started out with Turtle Wax Hard Shell and I really hated it. But various members have posted good results with the Turtle Wax Platinum versions of the waxes and tire gels/sprays.

keesue, do you think ICE really improved the shine as compared with when it wasn`t applied? I have a feeling that other QD`s and spray sealants would be able to do even better a job. Duragloss Aquawax comes to mind.

Actually, I`m not at all biased. I tried the product based on recomendations in the Yaris forum. Given my car was brand new, I said, "what the heck". The product worked. I used the ICE QD to keep it fresh. My experience says, that on a new car with regular use of the product, it is a good thing. It doesn`t require much work. Having said that, I have learned quite a bit in reading this forum. The plethora of products that are available is simply amazing and it is my intent to give them a try on my other cars. I just ordered a Porter Cable and I`m looking forward to using it with the new chemicals that are available now. I have a few friends who will be the beneficiaries.

Thanks for your recomendations.
    2019 Ford Fiesta ST
    2018 Honda CRV AWD

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information