Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My car was recently hit by a drunk driver and the rear bumper and QP were repainted along with the door getting wetsanded/buffed. Obviously they do not using the best of washing techniques because my car now has Cobbweb swirls and light swirl marks. As of right now I use #26 Yellow Wax as a bi weekly chore along with #9 swirl remover/polish bi monthly. I claybar about every 6 months, and up until this point my paint was in excellent condition with little to no swirls/cobbwebbing. My quesiton is, of the products that are readily available to me at the moment(nearby store), I am left with either the New Reformulated #2 Fine cut cleaner or Meguairs Scratch X. I am also left to work with either my hand or my orbital buffer. Though I know these are neither the BEST products nor tools, Which will yield better results for what im lookin to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ej8tunerman
    My car was recently hit by a drunk driver and the rear bumper and QP were repainted along with the door getting wetsanded/buffed. Obviously they do not using the best of washing techniques because my car now has Cobbweb swirls and light swirl marks. As of right now I use #26 Yellow Wax as a bi weekly chore along with #9 swirl remover/polish bi monthly. I claybar about every 6 months, and up until this point my paint was in excellent condition with little to no swirls/cobbwebbing. My quesiton is, of the products that are readily available to me at the moment(nearby store), I am left with either the New Reformulated #2 Fine cut cleaner or Meguairs Scratch X. I am also left to work with either my hand or my orbital buffer. Though I know these are neither the BEST products nor tools, Which will yield better results for what im lookin to do?
    I would use scratchX by hand. I am not sure #2 would break down by orbital.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get the *new* formula #2 you can use it with a DA polisher. It`s a very good and easy to use product that doesn`t get talked about much anywhere.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah,try the scratch X first, multiple passes several times,then take it from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    ej8tunerman- If you`re doing the whole car I`d go with the #2, and I`d plan on a follow-up with something milder (maybe the #9 but that`s awfully mild stuff, maybe the Scratch-X if the #9 doesn`t remove any micromarring from the #2).

Note that the repainted areas might be pretty soft, especially for the first 6-8 weeks or so. And don`t wax those areas for 3-4 months (I`d use one of the Meg`s "pure polishes" on them in the meantime).

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    If you get the *new* formula #2 you can use it with a DA polisher. It`s a very good and easy to use product that doesn`t get talked about much anywhere.
    Agree with you totally. The NEW #2 is pretty darn good.......as is #9.

Post Thanks / Like
    also, scratchx has now been reformulated for DA, it should be out in stores within a month...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    the only problem is that most of the old bottles say "new formula"...well at least in canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sneek
    the only problem is that most of the old bottles say "new formula"...well at least in canada.

a way to tell if it`s the *new* version is look on the back and see if it says it can be used with a DA...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imacarnut
    also, scratchx has now been reformulated for DA...

Huh, wonder what they changed about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Huh, wonder what they changed about it

it`s now been re-formulated for use by both hand AND pc.

The most effective way to safely remove fine scratches and swirls...Now by hand OR with a dual action polisher! Our new and improved ScratchX uses diminishing abrasive technology to safely and effectively remove fine scratches, swirls, and oxidation. As you work ScratchX into the surface of your vehicle, the abrasives diminish and your paint surface is polished to reveal brilliant color and clarity. Clear coat safe, ScratchX will not create new scratches and will not simply "cover" fine scratches as most conventional products do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`m curious about what they actually altered. Some people have always said it works OK by PC and others say it gums up their pads, so I was just wondering...

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Well, I`m curious about what they actually altered. Some people have always said it works OK by PC and others say it gums up their pads, so I was just wondering...

Biggest thing was their directions. Used to say to let dry.......now it does not. It`s one of the only products Meg`s sell that you will never let dry. It also has more oils in it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by justin30513
    Biggest thing was their directions. Used to say to let dry.......now it does not. It`s one of the only products Meg`s sell that you will never let dry. It also has more oils in it now.

OK, thanks. I figured it had something to do with the oils/lubricants in it. Noting that I`ve never used the stuff, I didn`t know that the old instructions said to let it dry...I`m used to Meg`s polishes being buffed off while they`re still wet so I figured that was how you used Scratch-X too.

Post Thanks / Like
    according to a megs rep, the new scratchx is similiar (abrasive wise) as #82 iirc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information