Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so I`m at the online shop and deciding on my choice of polishes. Having read most of the recent posts here concerning all of these brands, can anyone help with choosing one of the three brands?

I`m no professional, but I`m fairly confident using the PC with the Sonus DAS pads so I`d like to continue to use those. My final choice of polishes should definitely not contain any fillers. The ability to work in direct sunlight would be a big benefit as I have no shade/garage to work in. So I guess, the decision is really based on which of the brands is going to be as safe and flexibile as possibile to my skills (as I`m not too hot yet on knowing how long to `work in` a compound or polish etc.) An effective `learning/learners` polish I guess?

Can anyone throw in any experiences with these brands from a `noob` perspective? :bounce
    ex-Autoglym-er finding better products all the time!

Post Thanks / Like
    *I* prefer the Menzerna polishes. They give me consistant, quality results.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer the Menzerna polishes as well. They leave a super reflective, wet finish. However, I always work in the garage. I can`t say if they`re equally effective in the sun. A lot of people have said that the Poorboy`s polishes work well in the sun and they are advertised as effective in direct sunlight.

Post Thanks / Like
    For you I would suggest Optimum polishes. Their long working times tend to be friendlier in the sun than most polishes, and they finish out great. I personally don`t like the Poorboy`s polishes, they dust and dust some more and I`ve never been able to achieve my desired results with them. There`s an old thread debating if SSR2.5 contained mild fillers since some of us have experienced reappearances of swirls that we previously thought were removed. Maybe you should search for that and take what you will from other`s experiences. The Menzerna line is great too, but they have a much quicker working time compared to Optimum...but they finish out great! I find the Menzerna line to cover the cutting range more thoroughly than the Optimum line, so that might influence your decision. If you don`t have serious correction to do, I think the Optimum line will serve you well.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Menzerna polishes would primarily be the Intensive Polish (compound) and the Final Polish II (polish) right?

Wow! I know I didn`t factor in cost at the outset, but I discovered Menzerna are surprisingly expensive at double the price of the Optimum equivalents, which are 40% more expensive than the Poorboys equivalents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D3mon
    The Menzerna polishes would primarily be the Intensive Polish (compound) and the Final Polish II (polish) right?

Wow! I know I didn`t factor in cost at the outset, but I discovered Menzerna are surprisingly expensive at double the price of the Optimum equivalents, which are 40% more expensive than the Poorboys equivalents.
    I believe the offerings from PBs and Menzerna are 16oz. while Optimum`s are 32oz...at least in their smallest amounts. Make sure you check that as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant go wrong with Menzerna or Optimum
    [quote name=`DocHoliday`]I recently had SSR2.5 on toast for breakfast, was tasty and it polished my teeth![/QUOTE]

:think:

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering the sun factor, Optimum or Poorboys may be a better option. I can`t say positively because I don`t work in the sun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSTI
    Cant go wrong with Menzerna or Optimum

Agreed...but Optimum is more sun friendly. I have had decent results with Menzerna 106FF mixed with Clearkote`s Red Machine Glaze on hot days with hazy sun. Never used it in full sun like Optimum though.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve checked the pricing again:

Optimum £7 / 16oz

Poorboys £10 / 16oz

Menzerna £14 / 16oz

Poorboys has a fine reputation but the dusting would be a major annoyance for me. In addition, the sheer number of products in the `polishes` range makes me unsure which one to use for a particular job (SSR1, SSR2, SSR2.5, SSR3, Polish w/Carnuba, Polish w/Carnuba Blue, Professional Polish)

The Menzerna range seems to be priced for the professional market, suggesting that it may not give me the best results if my process/technique isn`t perfect. Just doesn`t `feel` like a `noob` product.

So, I`m starting to settle on the Optimum I think. As the cheapest, I`ll have plenty of product to experiment/learn with and the range is very simply divided - Hyper Compound / Compound / Polish.

Thankyou for all your input everyone. Let`s hope when I get it, I can get it out of the bottle without having to shake it for an hour first!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have all three so I would suggest.. all of them....

really your Choice will depend on your finsh.. as I somethimes will not get good results with one line and have to switch up..

when looking at Poorboys remember the Polish with nuba`s are one steppers with filler(IE wax) Propolish works like Opt with no abrasives..

Menzerna works SUPER on black..

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d have said Menzerna too, but the sunlight thing means Optimum is really the way to go (imo). Menzerna polishes are not friendly in sunlight, while all Opt products can be used in full *hot* sun.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum for price, performance and 0 dusting.

I recommend Optimum polishes on other car care forums because of those three traits. I do have some Menzerna PO85RD finishing polish reserved for my black RSX

I really liked Poorboy`s SSR2.5 when it first came out, but after using Optimum Polish my gallon of SSR2.5 collects dust.

If you have the money I`d go Optimum Compound, Optimum Polish and Menzerna Final Polish 2; you should be set for most situations with those three, and it`s not that expensive compared to others.

Post Thanks / Like
    After using all three, my nod goes to Menzerna and Optimum.

Post Thanks / Like
    in order of preference

menzerna, optimum and PB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information