Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up an 02 4runner and have a few questions..

I need relatively cheap products ( 60 dollars for everything ) that do the following things:

1.Both of the door sills that lye on the B Pillar are not painted, but some sort of black material. The black is fading in to a grey and I would like to restore it to a new shiny black. What do you suggest for this?

2.There are some white paint marks from a door hitting the car a few times. They are not scratches it`s just that the paint is scuffed on to there. I`d like to stay away from polishing because I`m a newb at this stuff and don`t want to dig a hole I can`t get out of. What do you suggest for this?

3. My interior leather trim panels have some marks on them. I guess something that`s abrasive to remove them? What do you suggest for this?

4. Can I get away with waxing without polishing first? What wax do you recommend for a silver car that is easy to apply for a newb like me?

Thanks for all of your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, just polish the car. Wax is nothing without a good prep. But if you`re really wanting to stay away from properly prep the car, at least clay it. Clay it, then use some kind`ve cleaner/wax. Mothers Reflection/FX line is better than Meguiar`s in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    ohhh wow.. reminds me of my budget when i joined (i was 14 [i am now 16] so i had a budget like yours lol). but like Chan said all you can do now is just prep with clay and somehow get a paint cleaner to prep it for the protection. i think you should save up so you can actually really polish and prep your car for final protection so it can be most effective and best looking. youre going to need probably 3x your budget right now to get to that point where you can really make your car look nice and be protected from the environments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan
    Honestly, just polish the car. Wax is nothing without a good prep. But if you`re really wanting to stay away from properly prep the car, at least clay it. Clay it, then use some kind`ve cleaner/wax. Mothers Reflection/FX line is better than Meguiar`s in my opinion.

Yes I was planning on claying it anyway. How long does it take to do the whole car?

Post Thanks / Like
    claying should take ~1/2 depending on how u do it. washing, claying, paint cleaning, then protecting should take ~2-3 hrs on a 4runner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by another qx4
    claying should take ~1/2 depending on how u do it. washing, claying, paint cleaning, then protecting should take ~2-3 hrs on a 4runner.

Wow i figured claying would take all day.

The main reason I don`t want to polish is because I have absolutely no experience with it.

Do you think I can get a way with a not so abrasive polish? Which do you recommend?

BTW I really appreciate the wuick responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I figure out what I`m going to do.

Wash twice.

Clay.

Meguair`s Wax-Cleaner

Meguair`s Gold Class x2

How`s thay?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by khaderama
    1.Both of the door sills that lye on the B Pillar are not painted, but some sort of black material. The black is fading in to a grey and I would like to restore it to a new shiny black. What do you suggest for this?
    Mother`s Back-to-Black.

2.There are some white paint marks from a door hitting the car a few times. They are not scratches it`s just that the paint is scuffed on to there. I`d like to stay away from polishing because I`m a newb at this stuff and don`t want to dig a hole I can`t get out of. What do you suggest for this?
    Try Meguiar`s ScratchX. You won`t dig any holes with it.

3. My interior leather trim panels have some marks on them. I guess something that`s abrasive to remove them? What do you suggest for this?
    I`ve had good luck with Griot`s Interior Cleaner for cleaning leather.

4. Can I get away with waxing without polishing first? What wax do you recommend for a silver car that is easy to apply for a newb like me?
    Klasse AIO is really, really easy. It`s a paint cleaner with some synthetic wax in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks GeorgePaul that was a very helpful post.

Can you buy all of those products at a local place like Auto Zone or Advanced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow i figured claying would take all day.

The main reason I don`t want to polish is because I have absolutely no experience with it.

Do you think I can get a way with a not so abrasive polish? Which do you recommend?

BTW I really appreciate the wuick responses.
    hey if a 14 yr old can do it, why cant you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks GeorgePaul that was a very helpful post.

Can you buy all of those products at a local place like Auto Zone or Advanced?
    why cant you order online?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I figure out what I`m going to do.

Wash twice.

Clay.

Meguair`s Wax-Cleaner

Meguair`s Gold Class x2

How`s thay?

If this is all you have a budget for, I would suggest that you replace the Wax-cleaner with Meguiars ColorX. It is a great cleaning product, and very easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gold Class x 2 is pointless. The wax contains some small cleaning properties, so layering it... while it may not completely remove the previous layer, it`ll probably remove most. Just do 1 coat, and plan to re-apply every month, GC looks good but the durability just isn`t there. I`d personally recommend switching to Turtle Wax Platinum Ultra Gloss wax... it`s cheaper, a WAY better than the Gold Class and is readily available for $7 at Target/Wal-Mart stores or AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris223
    Gold Class x 2 is pointless. The wax contains some small cleaning properties, so layering it... while it may not completely remove the previous layer, it`ll probably remove most. Just do 1 coat, and plan to re-apply every month, GC looks good but the durability just isn`t there. I`d personally recommend switching to Turtle Wax Platinum Ultra Gloss wax... it`s cheaper, a WAY better than the Gold Class and is readily available for $7 at Target/Wal-Mart stores or AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, etc...

While it may not layer the second application will ensure full coverage.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to be able to purchase locally and do the work by hand, the Mequiar`s line should work well for you

Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-paint-...-Paint-Cleaner

Scratchx http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-paint-cleaners/ScratchX

Most trim pieces are not leather, CAREFULLY try Mr Clean Magic Eraser http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/...er/index.shtml

http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-detail...tailing-System

http://www.meguiars.com/?car-polishe...-System-Polish

http://www.meguiars.com/?liquid-car-...ation-Tech-Wax

Thanks for all of your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information